GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Missing Fur on Female's head
Health related
May 14 2015
09:20:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a female sugar glider who is about 1.5 years old. I just noticed she has a little patch of missing fur on top of her head. There seems to be something black in the middle of the missing patch but I can't tell if it is fur or skin or something that is not supposed to be there. She eats a regular diet of pellets (glider complete), fresh fruits and vegetables. I also include additional protein and vitamins several times a week.

She lives with a younger female sugar glider who is about 6 or 7 months old. I am not sure if this could be over-grooming related or something more serious. She let me touch it no problem, so it does not seem to be bothering her.

Please see my pictures that I have attached. Has anyone seen anything like this??

Thank you,
Tcall

Health related
May 14 2015
10:56:03 AM
Onelove420 Glider Visit Onelove420's Photo Album USA 89 Posts
I'm not entirely sure but it could be over grooming, or it could have been done by your other glider. I personally would take them to the vet :/
Also, have you thought about putting them on a glider diet with a calcium supplement you feed every day? The pellets aren't the best for keeping them healthy. I have mine on the leadbeaters staple by gliderkids. The glider kids website has a few different recipes, but there's also a lot more out there. They're not expensive and they're pretty easy to make! They include all the protein and calcium they need so you don't have to worry about it at all:)

Edited by - Onelove420 on May 14 2015 10:57:27 AM
Health related
May 14 2015
11:23:36 AM
Tcall Starting Member Visit Tcall's Photo Album 3 Posts
Thank you for the information. That recipe looks easy enough to make. I will buy the calcium powder and give it a try :) They haven't liked eggs in the past but this will be a good way to disguise it. I set up an appointment with a local vet that specializes in exotic pets so I am hoping they tell me it is just over grooming. Thank you for responding :)
Health related
May 14 2015
01:17:54 PM
Onelove420 Glider Visit Onelove420's Photo Album USA 89 Posts
Let us know how the vet goes :)
Health related
May 14 2015
01:54:12 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
My guess is that the younger critter is climbing on the back and perhaps clamping down/riding. Young ones often do this behavior as they used to ride on Mom's back. It's in their dna. You will see similar thing when mating but male will usually bite and hold on the neck.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders