Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Steaming Veggies
Steaming Veggies
Food, Diet
May 14 2015
10:52:49 AM
I have tried feeding my girls raw kale, dandelion greens, parsley, spinach and another green that I can't think of at the moment. I see teeth marks but ultimately, it doesn't get eaten. Does anyone steam their greens? I am going to try a little honey over the top but my guess is that they will just lick the honey off.
Food, Diet
May 14 2015
12:49:42 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I'm not certain of what diet plan you have your gliders on, so I can't say adding honey on top is a good idea.

If they prefer some vegetables steamed, as long as you're not using seasonings it should be okay, but I wouldn't fully cook them.

Some veggies may not appear to have been eaten but that doesn't mean they haven't consumed any nutrients from them, sometimes the will chew or nibble, getting some of the moist portions of the offering out of the veggie and fruit and spit the rest back. Obviously there may be some fruits and veggies that are not preferred by your gliders. Offer wide variety unless restrictions apply in directions of the diet play you're using.
Food, Diet
May 14 2015
01:50:56 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I think you'll have the best luck with very finely diced veggies. You can try to boil/cook some veggies in sugar water and they may like that there is a slight sweetness to them. Keep trying things and share what works for you.
Food, Diet
May 14 2015
02:40:09 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Not sure I'd use sugar water, but I have used apple juice to simmer veg in it adds some sweetness with out adding refined sugar.
Food, Diet
May 14 2015
05:39:19 PM
Ange1seyes Glider Visit Ange1seyes's Photo Album 113 Posts
Thanks for the replies. They are on the Critter Love complete for the moment. I don't believe that is going to be the best diet for them. They get a very wide variety. Zuchini, roasted butternut squash, peas, corn, bok choy, sweet potato and yellow bell peppers are a hit. Green beans, beets, carrots, any type of greens, parsley, celery are not. Basically anything with the really good calcium to phosphorous ratio they don't want to touch. Junk food junkies. Hahah

I may try just steaming the greens for a minute or two. Of course I won't add any seasoning. I love the idea of boiling in Apple juice. I may try that with some of the other veggies.
Steaming Veggies

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Steaming Veggies