Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
question about introductions
Question
May 26 2015
05:27:50 PM
So I have never done introductions before. And my gliders are not ready for it yet but I would love some advice. I have read some horror stories about introductions going wrong. I know that if at any point the gliders ball up and fight, it is my job to pull them apart. AND I AM OK with doing that no matter what blind bites I receive, My question is.. Is there anything I can use that helps? Like if I throw fleece over one and then pull them apart? Or idk? I know that when dogs fight people say to spray them with water? I wouldn't want to spray any animal with water, that isn't what I am trying to say, that was just an example.Is there something that I don't know about that would help them to stop fighting as well as me separating them? I really am nervous about them liking each other. My Girl is the sweetest has been from day one. And then we just got a new male and female. We are getting the male fixed before attempting to introduce him to our single female. and then after they have been introduced and are good to go we will attempt to introduce the new female to the male and original female. But like I stated we aren't ready for all that yet they're still in quarantine and male needs to be nurtured. I just would like to know some tips/tricks for fighting gliders. Thank you all for your time. Have a great one!
Question
May 26 2015
05:31:39 PM
Smash0196 Glider Visit Smash0196's Photo Album Smash0196's Journal Canada 123 Posts
Gliders mostly bond with scent so if you switch the pouches and get them used to each other's scent, you have a better chance of avoiding a fight.
I have two pairs that only interact during out of cage play because the two males fight. To keep them familiar with each other without keeping them in the same cage, I switch their nest boxes.
I have never had to deal with fighting much. Only once did the two males ball up and it was over in about a second and then they were both cleaning each other lol
Question
May 26 2015
07:25:35 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Introductions should be made somewhere neutral like the bath tub, to lessen any territorial issues. Do not try to do in one of the cages that almost promotes a fight to happen.

Scent swapping prior to introductions as mentioned will help.

Have a new or freshly washed bonding bag on hand. And a piece of fleece to protect your hands.

Put one bonding bag the gliders are in at one end of the tub and the other bonding bag with glider in at the opposite end of the tub, then put some treats in the middle. When the gliders come out of the bonding bags remove them from the tub and put the clean one in.

If they do end up balling up make sure your hand is protected with fleece and separate them as quick as possible. You can give them a minute and try again or call it a day and try it another time.

If they don't fight and all end up going in the clean pouch it's about a done deal!

At that point make sure what ever cage you intend to house them in as 1 colony is thoroughly cleaned, fresh fleece set, clean all the toys etc... to make the cage smell as neutral as possible before putting the gliders in the pouch in the cage.

Then just hang the pouch and let them wake up together in the cage... Keep an eye and ear on them for the first few days to make sure they don't ball up and fight.
Question
May 27 2015
12:01:29 AM
Smash0196 Glider Visit Smash0196's Photo Album Smash0196's Journal Canada 123 Posts
Wow lol I really wish I hadn't been the first to comment.. My answer sucks in comparison to Leela's
Question
May 27 2015
12:28:00 AM
Adoredamore Joey 20 Posts
Smash no, I appreciate your comment! Yours too leela! Thank you both! I will most def. follow the information given here. I can not wait to get the neuter and quarantine && more over with! I am so ready for our single girl to have friends! We had looked and looked and all we could find were mill or baby's, and we really wanted to rescue. So Finally we got to rescue these two and they are just wonderful little creatures and they are so cute together. our girl seems fine with them so far. She hasn't answered back to any of their calls but she has looked at them while hanging out of my shirt eating a treat. (she is always in my shirt, but I haven't allowed any contact but we have been in their room where the 2 gliders are in cage. Ok I will stop rambling lol thanks again for the information, I am feeling more confident in what needs to happen when introductions take place!! ;-)
Question
May 27 2015
07:16:05 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Smash, Your's is good it's not a competition
Question
May 27 2015
07:45:48 AM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
I like this ask on this too, (would it be harder to do with a colony and adding to it ) aka a group of 4 females and adding another glider female. ( want to add the 3 leg girl to the group after the QT time and a lot of scent/cage swapping is done.
Question
May 27 2015
08:09:13 AM
In that case I don't think it would be the colony that would complicate things but the tripod (three legger) might. The tripod might be outcasted because of her disability. For her safety it would be wiser to do a one on one intro IMO. and keep them as a separate pair.

When one member of the colony is sick or injured the colony usually will run it out of the colony and territory. Being that they are confined to a cage and can't escape the wrath, the colony may try to hurt/kill her to get rid of the threat of a weak member in the colony.

Minus the tripod issue, there are many successful all female colonies. My rescue lady just introduced a female joey to her 3 females successfully making a quad. When she has a tripod in her care she makes a pair and one of the adoption requirements is to keep them as a pair and not introduce them to any other gliders for the tripods safety.

Some one else may disagree and say they would be just fine introduced to a colony but I think I would stick to just a pair myself. So that's my 3 cents
Question
May 27 2015
08:28:13 AM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
We have a quad colony of girls ( it as the one I wanted to add her too) Hence I asked. our girl colony seems to be pretty laid back most thetime. They consist of a pair of sisters ( leu and platty) and 2 greys one came a from a quad group when I first got into gliders ( and though i was over my head with going from one into 5 total in a week). which I end up breaking up( before I knew a lot about gliders) and with all the intros for them into a group it was so simple they all just accepted each other with out any reals scent swapping ) I just wore their pouches with me during the day ( yea I had 2 pouches on for 3 weeks lol)
Question
May 27 2015
08:54:10 AM
that didn't escape me that you already have a quad but I'm still on my first cuppa coffee so maybe it didn't come out like I read your post very well but I did lol.

On a side note, YOU know your gliders best and personally know all of their personalities. If you feel the tripod would be safe and the 4 girl squad would accept her warmly then that is up to you.

If you have any doubts what so ever, then I think I would just make a pair for the tripod. Sometimes what is best for one situation is not best for all situations.

Who knows they may take her in and shower her with all kinds of lovins but really your the best one to make that call being that I (we) don't know what your girls are like...

Edited by - Leela on May 27 2015 08:56:39 AM
Question
May 27 2015
09:15:22 PM
I have a tripod too and before he became three legged, he got along great with the rest of them (I have 4) Once he was hurt however, the male attacked him really viciously. I now have them split in to pairs.
The females didn't seem to have any problem with him, but the other male did. Mine already knew each other before this, and the male was the problem for me. Seeing as you don't have any males, but the gliders never previously bonded changes the situation :P
Maybe try it like what you do for regular introductions? scent swapping/intro in a neutral area etc. If that works, maybe they can all be together. If not, you might see if any of your gliders are indifferent/friendly towards the tripod and try and work with them separately to pair them up.
Question
May 28 2015
01:21:31 AM
Adoredamore Joey 20 Posts
There is some great advice in this forum. I wish you luck with your tripod baby Mechnut450, and whatever decision you come to, I hope it works out perfectly !

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders