Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
intro thoughs
intro thoughs
Question
May 27 2015
09:15:50 AM
SO not to take over Adoredamore topic on intros I start one and ask a few questions as well. as i get them. I seem to find questions that I don't realize i need to know or consider in the past topics. ( always learning)

So to start off (thanks Leela for getting my gears grinding this morning) I have a quad who may or may not accept another member into their group ( will have to wait until QT over to try anything) any how my questions are going like this.
If they don't accept her is it possible to remove one of the Quads and possible make a pair with my little tripod with out causing possible depression or other issues for the glider and/or the trio.
I want to hope for a single large groups of 5 so I can only carry one larger pouch. (it will look odd with 2 pouches on at times. specially since i am a guy) Plus I be worried over fighting though the pouches.

In my Quad group there is one glider that seems to get bullied (she oldest of the 4 )and if I pull a glider out it would be her)
Question
May 27 2015
09:28:59 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
In my opinion, it is probably best to pull the one from the quad and introduce her to the tripod. I think you are on the right track with your thinking she'd be the best choice.

The remaining 3 shouldn't get depressed as they have each other and if they are already bullying her, I would venture to guess they may also bully the tripod as well if you tried to introduce her to the quad as a whole.

When pulling one from a colony to introduce to a lone glider I think it is usually advised to pull the one least dominant of the bunch, which would also be the one usually left out or bullied. So she might be your best choice for the tripod and she may really welcome a friendlier companion even with a disability.

And I sincerely hope my use of the term tripod did not offend you it's just the way I talk and is not meant to be hurtful in anyway. If it was taken the wrong way I apologize. To me it's a term of endearment for the 3 leggers instead of seeing their loss of a limb as a handicap... It may slow them down until fully healed but once healed they get on just fine, sometimes I forget there is a tripod in the video's I see because they get around so well you really don't notice a leg missing...

I'm sure some others have some better insight in all this than I do, I'm going off of what I have read and learned about behavior not so much on personal experience. But I hope it helps none the less

Question
May 27 2015
09:39:00 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Ps
maybe get the Mrs to make you a double pocket double zipper pouch with a divider sewn between 2 pieces of fleece so you can have them all in one bag?? I think I remember you saying your wife sews for the gliders.... just a thought..
Question
May 27 2015
09:43:26 AM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
I think it may work out better this way.
Leela I will ask her about it ( i worry though that the would try to fight though the pouch layers then. ) I would also need to find the plans for them as i pretty sure she would not know how to make one. I also think such a pouch could be great for having glider get use to each other safely so the group might actually end up as a single group after a while.
Information
May 27 2015
09:56:13 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I have had totally failed intros, a very slow successful intro of a single glider to a colony of 4, and a 'love at first sight' intro -- ALL with the same glider.

Mindy wanted NOTHING to do with the first trio that I had hoped to introduce her to. She literally ran screaming (crabbing) away from any member of this colony when I had her in the tent with them. They were interested in her and there was no fighting - but she clearly wanted nothing to do with them. I tried a number of times with pouch swapping in between and she still refused.

So back to square one - I began the process again with my other colony. I first introduced her to the mildest tempered glider of the group and they were OK with each other. I let the two of them spend a few days in the smaller cage together then introduced another member of the colony to the new pair. Between each intro I did a few days of pouch and toy swapping. Again, I added one more from the colony to the new trio - and this time I swapped cages putting the new Quad in the large cage and the last two into the smaller cage. I left the dominant female from the colony for last and after a couple days by herself she was more than happy to join the group again and paid no attention to the new member.

So now I had a colony of 6 but Mindy never really seemed to interact much with the other gliders. She would wait until the food dish was free of other gliders to eat. She sometimes sleep alone etc. Everyone got along fine but not everyone was happy.

Then, I had the opportunity to adopt a male mosaic, Kanobles, that had a compatible lineage with Mindy. After his quarantine was completed I decided one night to see how Mindy would react to the scent of HIS sleeping pouch as I was carrying her from the tent back to the cage for the night. I opened his cage and removed his empty sleeping pouch. When I held it up for Mindy to examine - she crawled right in and got comfortable. Kanobles was curious and jumped right to his pouch in my hand and also went in - no crabbing from either of them. They were immediately snuggling and grooming each other.

So I put a second helping of dinner in Kanobles cage - dinner for two and they have been inseparable since.

The other colony showed no sighs of missing Mindy at all. They had each other to snuggle with and are still together.

In short - if done carefully you can probably integrate her into the colony but if you already have one glider that is somewhat singled out, either by the other gliders, or by her choice to spend time alone, it might be best to move her out of the larger group and see if she gets along with the new girl. In any event, I would introduce her to the new glider FIRST and give them a little time together before you introduce other members of the large colony to them. If the large colony already seems to be bullying her - they might also reject the three legged glider. Two happy colonies would be better than constantly having to watch and observe the large colony to make sure they are not picking on anyone.
Question
May 27 2015
10:04:27 AM
I will look around in my online travels to see if I can find anything about double pocket pouches.

I would think you could take a piece of mesh like what is used to make the ventilation windows and sandwich it between to pieces of fleece to make the divider so they couldn't actually do any harm to the gliders in the other side. The mesh wouldn't add to much weight and is flexible enough but still provide a layer of protection and allow the scents to still be there.
Question
May 27 2015
10:10:39 AM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
I think that would be great Leela I know i got a lot planned today, I don't mind the heat but man this humidity is horrible in DE today. I may go with the bullied and tripod girl for pairing and then see how well they would work ( if i can find a double pouch)
intro thoughs

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
intro thoughs