Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Setting Up -- are my picks okay?
Question
May 27 2015
02:15:49 PM
I just want to double-check everything before I use up my entire paycheck It'll be worth it but it IS a lot of money to spend -- so second opinions would be lovely.

CAGE

I'm debating between these two cages:
this one is preferable because it's cheaper
this one is preferable because it would fit better in the space I'm keeping my glider

Are either of these cages unsafe? :?

WHEEL

Hopefully this wheel is okay to use?

TOYS

I'm going to the dollar store tonight to find easter eggs to hide little treats in, and also to find twist ties or drinking straws to make some makeshift toys. :x Are there any toys that are super popular among glider-owners?

OTHER

I wanna give him a nice place to nestle into; is something like this okay?

Any answers or advice would be wonderful.
Question
May 27 2015
03:21:49 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Cage 1 is safe, and cheaper and cheaper made, It is flimsier and noisier especially once you get a wheel in there. The corners sometimes need zipped tied because the walls can bow and leave a gap bigger than a half inch. The little feeder doors slide and will probably also need zip tied. After A few months of through cleaning you may start seeing rust spots... Over all it's a good size but for long term the other one will hold up better and last much longer and be a quieter more durable cage. If your looking for lifespan and value for your money I would say cage 2.

The wheel looks ok

The coconut... I actually make hand made coconut huts for gliders, my issue with the one you posted is....

It is not sanded so the fibrous exterior will absorb urine and is harder to clean and dry. The rope would need replaced with fleece and the wooden bridge while glider safe may cause skin irritation in some gliders. That type of wood produces latex which can be a skin irritant.

The coconut hut itself is safe and most gliders love them but that one will need modified.
Question
May 27 2015
03:44:08 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I agree. I have a congo cage which is similar (same maker) to the madagascar. Ordered it from the same place actually. It is much better in the long run. Very sturdy. It does not come with very good directions so take your time putting it together!

The wheel looks good.

Siding with Leela on the coconut. I have one of her's and it's the bomb. However...while hers like to nestle up in theirs...mine don't. So I just stuff it with various things (fleece strips, poms and a few treats) and let them pull everything out every night. The best "for sure" thing for snuggling are their pouches. It's good to have a couple to start out with so that one is always clean and ready to swap.
Question
May 27 2015
06:07:56 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Answers are right on and I agree whole heartily.

I personally have had the Madagascar cage. It is a nice foot print due to the 24" x 24" dimensions. It is much larger and I'm sure sturdier so I personally feel the better value. It's a nice cage really, I housed my pair (their second cage) and then trio after introducing my single male to my girls. The only reason I do not still have the cage is because when I moved across country, I had to leave many things behind, and the cage was one of them.

The wheel, is a popular one, and safe.

As for toys, plastic army men or animals are sometimes liked by gliders. I'm not sure what you mean by twist ties, if plastic than okay. Other items many gliders like are plastic bracelets, they can be used to make toys as well. Plastic wiffle balls with holes in them also make fun toys. There are so many items, you will surely be finding stuff just about everywhere eventually for them, lol.

As for the coconut hide in photo, there are some things I have issues with as well. I recommend seeing about getting one made by Leela, they will be more safely made specifically for sugar gliders.

Also, Welcome to the forums if you haven't already been. I think it's great the way you are approaching this, the research is so important and it's smart to run by what you're considering prior to purchase, especially with the investment it is.

Make sure you have a vet that sees sugar gliders lined up so you have one if you need one, and check into emergency kits, they're great to have. Hopefully you won't need one, but you don't want to be in the position that you need an item and can't get it immediately. Some vendors sell them, others sell supplies you can purchase ala cart, or look through the list and pick up some things at the store each visit, to reduce initial cost.
Information
May 27 2015
10:02:39 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You can order the Stealth Wheel directly from Atticworx for less than the Amazon price

http://atticworx.com/1Stealth%20Wheels.htm
Question
May 28 2015
11:09:04 AM
emolga Joey Visit emolga's Photo Album 28 Posts
Aw, thanks you guys.

I wound up choosing the Madagascar Cage; it'll be better for him in the long run, especially whenever I get him a cage mate.

I got him the wheel [it should be here on Friday], and I've also decided to settle with the HPW diet for him. While the powder and pollen take their time getting here, I'll just keep giving him veggies and eggs.

I wasn't able to get to the dollar store as I had hoped; but I did manage to get him a relatively simple, safe, bird toy that he can look at and play with if he wants to. He's very confused by all the changes, since he's a year old and he's never had ANY of these things before.

I'm really super excited.
Question
May 29 2015
12:47:10 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Yay! Good choices. My first pair didn't come with many toys, just a few jingly bird/cat ball types, but they did have a wheel at least. The wheel was severely chewed, most likely due to boredom because they hadn't many options of stimulation or other things to chew on.

All the changes are for the better, so I'm happy for both of you.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders