Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing new sugar gliders.
Information
Jun 02 2015
12:21:06 PM
Hi guys, i've got a sugar glider 2 months back and I plan to get another 1 soon. But, I've read online that they will fight if they are not introduced slowly and properly. However I've got a question, what if I place both of them in a completely new cage, with completely new sets of toys. Eg. hammock, pouch etc etc. Will my current joey , which is a male still fight for it's territory?
Information
Jun 02 2015
04:33:58 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Gliders are very scent oriented animals and it is not a good idea to just bring home a new glider and immediately put it with the gliders already in your home.

A 30 day quarantine - housing them separately and in separate rooms - with no contact between the gliders is recommended with the new glider having a well check up and fecal testing done soon after coming to you and a repeat fecal testing 30 days later to make sure the new glider is not bringing any parasite issues to share with your first glider.

If your first glider has not had a well check up and fecal testing - that should also be done before introductions.

After the quarantine period then you begin swapping pouches and toys between the two cages to gradually get both gliders familiar with the scent of the other glider before you do a face to face introduction of the two gliders.

If both gliders are young introductions are fairly easy but since your current male joey is now about 4 months OOP - if he has not been neutered he is beginning to mature and may begin to be territorial.

If the second glider is female - he should be neutered BEFORE you introduce them to prevent breeding. If you are planning on breeding the two gliders should not be introduced until the female is at least 10 or 11 months OOP to prevent them from breeding before she is a year old and mature enough to raise healthy joeys.

If the second glider is male - I would have both gliders neutered before doing introductions to reduce the chance that they will fight as both mature. It will also reduce the pungent odor that intact male gliders have especially when trying to out mark each other in a shared cage. Your house can get very smelly quickly.
Information
Jun 29 2015
10:50:29 PM
redskinz10 Joey Visit redskinz10's Photo Album 13 Posts
I do it the opposite. The minute I get home with the new one I get the ones out that will be with it. I let them sniff each other out and get the crabbing and fighting out of the way. It has only lasted a few minutes till they are all cuddled up together. There are several ways people will recommend but I have not had one issue the way I choose. My last 3 have come from the same breeder so there is no reason for a quarantine. I also handle mine as much as possible from the second I get them. I feel leaving them for a few days just makes the process harder. The five I have are all sweet and love attention. These are my views and have worked for me. My last will be a red eyed cremino and I'll do the same with her.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders