Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I'm a little upset...
I'm a little upset...
Question
Jun 08 2015
10:16:43 PM
Was doing playtime with my gliders 20 minutes ago and I was sitting on the floor letting one crawl on me and the other one was climbing on his cage. I guess he thought it'd be funny to jump and latch onto my face... I was in tears it hurt SO bad and now I'm bleeding....
I'm trying so hard to not be mad at him. I put them in their cage and called it a night. What do I do...? Has that happened to anyone else? Do I just act like it never happened? Not sure how to go about making sure it never happens again.
Question
Jun 08 2015
10:31:55 PM
NaraeOfTheKims Joey Visit NaraeOfTheKims's Photo Album 22 Posts
haha I just got my female glider Ellie on May 29th. We've been having tent time... she'll climb look everywhere and decided the best place for optimal landing was my face! She was scratching me up good so I trimmed her nails! It startled me but I took it as she thought I was a "safe place" to be landing on. I figured if she picked me of all places that our bonding is oing alright or shed have nothing to do with me.

It startled me at first but it made me happy she was on me! So yes this has happened to me as well. if she does something i don't like i make a "Pssst" sound! I read mama sugar bears make a sound to tell the babies what they dont like. I think eventually she will learn what to do and not do out of pattern. You could try to train them to jump on your shoulder instead by having them jump their and giving them a treat so they associate jumping on shoulder as a place to get treats!

But I am a new owner myself though, but it did happen to me as well!

Question
Jun 09 2015
05:10:21 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello!
I really believe gliders who love and trust you go for your face! Lol yes, it's inconvenient and often painful with their little claws for us humans, but I think in glider world it's a sign of trust (hey, you're not gonna eat me! I loooovvveee yyyoooouuu!) yesterday my Luna gave me a good scratch under my nose, even though I just clipped her nails on Saturday.
Soooooo, I suggest watching for the signs she's gonna jump and close your eyes! Then gently remove her from your face
And clipping his nails will help, too (usually!)
Congratulations! Your glider loves you!
Welcome to glider slavery lol!
Question
Jun 09 2015
06:56:56 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
This is called "Face Hugs" and it is common for them to face hug you. Trimming nails regularly as mentioned will def help.

If your sitting, your face and head are the highest point of your body, if a glider is gliding they aren't going to aim for your leg, they choose a high spot to land.....your face. They aren't doing it to hurt you or cause you pain so please don't be "mad" at them.

I also agree it's a great sign they trust you and are developing a good bond. It will likely happen again, it's part of owning gliders.

My female does it all the time and has never caused me to bleed, she is kind of petite. When my male finalllllly gave me a face hug, my chin bled and I was soooo excited It was a good 4 months before he face hugged me and he is a big boy so his weight was much more painful on my face lol but it was a milestone for him and I even took pics of my chin lol they are badges of honor
Question
Jun 09 2015
08:49:03 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Face Hugs are so common that one of the tiers of members here (based on number of posts) is "Face Hugger".

Usually you'll get used to seeing them, even out of the corner of your eye, when they're reving up for a face hug. You can turn your head a bit so that they land on top of your head.

It's difficult not to personify an animal, especially ones we love. But, they function on instinct. It's the human that has to modify their impulses of emotion...anger, disappointment, fear, hurt feelings.
Question
Jun 09 2015
06:41:16 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
One time, my Skadoosh landed on my granddaughter's face (my eldest now, only grandchild at the time). Luckily, she wasn't scratched badly, and just had her eye mixed, but this did startle her enough, that she became a little extra cautious if she was around when they were out. Skadoosh, does happen to be the most outgoing glider, although oddly she can seem skittish to me at times since our first big move.

I've had this happen to me as well, most of the time it's partial, like top of my head, but partly on my forehead or side of face. I've also been smacked in the face, I believe by my Lulu, and I don't even know what my Ollie boy is doing to my ear at times, but man oh man it's painful.

This is part of glider parenting, they don't mean to hurt you when they land on your face, but the smacks, oh yeah, they're on purpose.

Edited by - TJones09 on Jun 09 2015 06:42:13 PM
Question
Jun 16 2015
10:33:05 AM
sugarghost Starting Member 4 Posts
I discourage any face contact from them now with a sharp tss, ever since my boy got too interested in my eyelashes...it was the first time I'd been bit on the eyelid and it's not something I'd like to repeat lol.
Question
Jun 22 2015
06:40:20 PM
Glidersmile Joey 12 Posts
Haha, happened to me too. The very first time he jumped on me. Scratched my nose. I can usually tell when they will jump now so I turn my head so he lands on my head, not my face. Ill hold my hand out and he knows to jump on hand.
I'm a little upset...

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I'm a little upset...