Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugars waking up later and later each night
Question
Jun 17 2015
02:54:02 AM
I'm fairly educated about the care and behavior of my two males but lately their sleep schedule is starting to concern me.

These last few weeks they've been waking up on their own later and later each night. One of them was raised and woken up around 8-9pm when he was a joey. Not too sure about the other one since his breeder kept the room dark 24/7. I've had them since December.

Normally I don't like to forcefully wake them up as I'm still working on bonding with the 2 glider described (Ollie) he's a little pouch protective.

Is it ok for them to be sleeping in until 5-7am? I'm not sure when they go to bed since I'm off to work until 5ish but it shouldn't be for long since they do have a tendency of running to a pouch with a enough light flooding the room. My lights are always off usually (cage in my bedroom). A week ago I had them out almost every night for a good couple hours of play and exploration but now it's wayyy to late for me to be up and let them play out of cage.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Is this healthy?
They are on a bml with fruit and veggie diet. Occasionally I'll hide meal worms and yoggies as treats for foraging.

Once they do wake up they seem normal. Friendly and playful.

Edited by - Striker on Jun 17 2015 02:54:50 AM
Question
Jun 17 2015
09:06:03 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
My lights are always off usually (cage in my bedroom). A week ago I had them out almost every night for a good couple hours of play and exploration but now it's wayyy to late for me to be up and let them play out of cage.

Are the lights off in your room during the daytime? Gliders need light during normal day light hours to help regulate their nocturnal wake pattern.

The sun is setting later each day this time of year which can also push their wake up time to a later hour.

Try keeping lights on and fairly bright all day long - then darken the room about sunset.

By making the room dark earlier they may begin to wake up earlier.
Question
Jun 17 2015
09:08:47 AM
Striker Starting Member 3 Posts
Hmm I didn't think of the sun setting at later times..
I keep my lights off during the day because I thought the light flooding the room was enough from the sun
Question
Jun 17 2015
04:00:29 PM
Ange1seyes Glider Visit Ange1seyes's Photo Album 113 Posts
The light from the sun coming into the room should be enough. As long as the room itself isn't completely dark during the day. Mine went from waking up at 8:30pm back to about 9:40pm. Then they get up for a snack and some wheel time and then go back to sleep for a couple of hours. They go to bed for the day around 6:30am.
Question
Jun 18 2015
02:35:45 PM
courtneyparke Glider Visit courtneyparke's Photo Album 53 Posts
I'm dealing with the same thing right now, only their time frame is more like wake up at 1-2am and go to bed around 3pm. It's super strange.
Question
Jun 24 2015
01:21:05 AM
Striker Starting Member 3 Posts
Just wanted to check back and say the light made a big difference. They are waking up at 11pm now. Going to keep pushing it back till about 9 if I can. I hate doing it but dumping them out of their pouch and leaving it out of the cage helped get the ball going. Poor little guys try cramming in their coconut.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders