Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I need help, Please
I need help, Please
Off topic chat
Jun 18 2015
12:46:08 PM
I am a Mother to two Male Gliders, "Prince and Preston" they both were over two years old when they fell into my lap so after spoiling them, bonding with them, loving them I have come to terms with the fact that they just are stuck in their own ways now and that they could really couldn't care less whether or not I'm here......The lady that gave them to me said that she worked 3rd shift and just didn't have the time for them..and also in case you don't believe me, The Gliders weren't even given names so on the way home from picking them up I named them Prince and Preston! Crazy huh? Ok so the whole point to this long boring story is that I need/want to raise from a young age my very own Joey and have a big family....Now my babies have not been neutered so what would I need to do to let one of them (hopefully) father a baby.. or two...I only want to do this One time....Any information would be helpful!
Hope everyone is having a good day!

Off topic chat
Jun 18 2015
01:14:47 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
First Hi an welcome

Second, I am sorry you feel that the gliders couldn't care less whether or no you're there. Personally I believe gliders can bond no matter what their age or previous history is.

I currently have 3 rescues, a 4 year male I've had since October and 2 girls I've only had for about 3 weeks and a Leela who was a joey from a breeder. My male Simon is paired with Leela.

While it did take some time with him we are bonded it is different however than my bond with Leela. In some ways it's a deeper more trusting bond because I really had to earn it. In other ways my bond with Leela is deeper because it was easier.

The girls, were not there yet but we are making some good progress already. They didn't have names when I got them either and lived outside for the last year in some sort of aviary. I don't work and devote 90 percent of my day just to the gliders.

More information on why you think they aren't bonded to you would be helpful. There may be different methods that can help with whatever you are struggling with. Rescues/rehomed gliders bond differently than gliders from breeders who are properly socialized before finding a new home.

As for your need/want for one of you boys to father a joey, it's NOT a good idea. It's actually a better idea and would probably help your bond if you got both males neutered.

It's not recommended to breed rescue/rehomed gliders. For one thing you don't know their lineage so you could be inbreeding with any female you might get. I could add other reasons but the first reason alone should be enough to discourage you from allowing them to breed.

The other reasons would only guide you in allowing them to breed "safely" ( there is no safe way to breed unlineaged gliders) and I will not contribute information for you to be able to do that.

Inbred gliders have a host of health problems and it's just not responsible to allow or intentionally breed your rehomed gliders, period.

If you want a joey, go to a reputable breeder and buy a pair, that can remain a pair.

Or get your males neutered and buy another joey from a reputable breeder that you can introduce safely to your boys.

Or go do some research on breeding, and buy a legit breeding pair with lineage, I would caution you that I think you will be out of your depth if you choose to breed. Even with a healthy lineaged pair of breeders there can be issues that you are not prepared for. You will would quickly find yourself overwhelmed with joeys and you would need extra cages extra wheels extra everything. Any male offspring will need neutered even if you keep them to prevent inbreeding. It's a lot to take on, even experienced long term owners aren't always prepared for breeding.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 18 2015 01:15:47 PM
Off topic chat
Jun 18 2015
05:55:37 PM
Hmurrell00 Starting Member Visit Hmurrell00's Photo Album USA 6 Posts
Thanks for all the useful information, perhaps you misunderstood or maybe I came off the wrong way and I need to clear a couple things up....I already prepared myself for the worst when I decided to take my babies in...I knew it was not going to be easy and actually they have made a huge improvement since they have been with me....So I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining and ungrateful ......And that is exactly why I asked what my options were...All I know is I will raise a baby Joey in my lifetime....Thanks again
Off topic chat
Jun 18 2015
06:16:29 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I wasn't trying to be harsh, raising a joey is a different experience than bonding with rescues. I wouldn't begrudge anyone raising a joey, if they get the joey from a reputable breeder.

There are already far to many back yard breeders with unhealthy joeys that need good homes and proper vet care. It's just not something I support and I'm not alone in my feelings towards breeding rescues.

Our job with rescues is to actually Rescue them and provide better environments to live and enrich and improve their lives,. Not breed them so we can raise a joey. There are plenty of joeys out there that are healthy from clean lines that need good homes.

Yes, that would mean spending money for a joey and for the current males neutering. But as glider owner that is the responsible way to go about it. When those gliders fell in your lap, you fell into being responsible for them. Again I'm not trying to be mean, just honest.

I wanted to breed my Leela when we first got her, or I thought I did. Once I realized it just wasn't the healthiest thing for her as my pet I changed my mind. She is perfect as a pet and I don't want to jeopardize her health or that of any possible joeys just so I could get my hands on a joey. I don't lineage for Leela, or any of the other three as they are rescues. I have no way of knowing if they are related or not.

You see the problem is, breeders ship gliders all over the country to all glider legal states. If you buy a glider in Texas and a glider from New York they could have both come from a breeder in florida and not only be related but be siblings. You just never know unless you get the lineage from the breeder for both gliders you intend to breed.

Off topic chat
Jun 18 2015
08:22:26 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
All three of my gliders were adults when I homed them. We have come leaps and bounds from the beginning between what I've learned about them and building a routine with them. Sadly however, my routine became an extreme hardship to continue after our move West across country, due to living arrangements. Within less than a year later, I moved back East with them. I've gotten closer to developing a routine, but it gets off track due to changes in my schedule here and there. So I've experimented with some different times that were not the "norm" time and noticed that they are not as active at those times (evenings vs mornings). The routine I had established prior to first move was early morning, usually three times a week and an occasional evening playtime. Now after having had that routine disrupted, I've noticed a setback in the relationship they have with me, but we have begun moving forward yet again. I've had the girls since 2012 and my boy since 2013, so it's been a while. I understand how you may feel that they may not care about you, because I sometimes feel like my gliders tolerate me only because I feed them, and otherwise do not love me. Then other times I can sense their trust in me while out at playtime, when they repeatedly return to me after a venture run, climb, or glide to me, as well as look to me to see if I'm noticing that their climbing and seeing if I'll come stand nearby so they can glide to me. I mean they'll literally stop and look at me like "well, are you going to come over here so I can glide to you?" And then Ollie will nip me if my finger gets in the way of his over-zealous grooming (ouch).

Gliders are all different, and while I never had the opportunity to experience raising a joey, and sometimes feel the longing to one day, I can't help but feel more joy from knowing that I homed gliders that were in need of a new home, and met the challenges they presented, and "earned" their trust, even if it's not felt all of the time.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to raise a joey, and I hope that if you desire to, you will get that experience, and hope that you understand the advice given was meant only to inform you with information that will benefit you and your gliders, ones you have now and any you may have. I've had the experience of raising with some other pets I've had through my years, and it's nice too.
Off topic chat
Jun 22 2015
05:50:20 PM
Glidersmile Joey 12 Posts
Id like to offer something. I got 2 male glider brothers from someone after much research. They were @ 8 mos old. Not bonded. Try mealworms......they LOVE them and me. Theyre all over me. They hang on cage when I come home. They will excitedly grab at them maybe nick your finger and draw blood, youll have to figure out how to feed. But from your hand open is an option to aviod being bitten. I use Rainbow mealworm online. We do bathroom time. I pick up the entire huge cage bring in bathroom, cover toilet seat and let them come out on own to get a worm.
Good luck
I need help, Please

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I need help, Please