Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I need some advice on new foods to try!
Food, Diet
Jun 22 2015
11:46:10 AM
I have two Gliders, Prince & Preston, I have had them around 3 months and have just learned that I have been giving them a little too much Protein daily, but that's what they seem to both love and eat well~~but my Prince is losing some hair around neck area and I read that too much protein will do that~~I have not been that successful in finding a variety of veggies that they like other then corn and again they should not have that on a regular basis as far as fruit I have found that they like grapes, blueberries but afraid if they have that daily they will get burnt out...So this Momma needs some ideas~What do your babies love? I need fruit and veggie ideas! PLEASE and THANK YOU
Food, Diet
Jun 22 2015
12:20:00 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
What exactly are you currently feeding them? Do you have them on one of the "approved" staples ?
Food, Diet
Jun 22 2015
12:49:48 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Right, without knowing what exactly your diet is comprised of, we won't be able to advise in any good direction. Too much protein is also VERY hard on the male's liver.

The "approved" staple diets are well researched and have been proven over MANY years to be of the highest quality to meet the needs of your gliders. Takes the concern out of the balance and ratios of protein, calcium, phosphorus, etc. If you want to take a look at a few of those they are in the Gliderpedia above and others are found on Candy's (a member here)website: gliderkids-diet.com

Usually, it looks a little overwhelming when you first take a look at them. Just take a good scan through to get an overall idea and then come here with all of your questions and concerns.

There's always someone around who truly cares and can lend a helping hand!

WELCOME~
Food, Diet
Jun 22 2015
07:11:17 PM
Glidersmile Joey 12 Posts
I make BML. Find online. Mine love green beans, carrots, corn on cob yum yum! broccoli, sweet potatoes(cooked), cauliflower, baby greens lettuce, peas, celery, red bell pepper. In a pinch use jar baby food especially sweet potatoes.
Food, Diet
Jun 22 2015
09:20:25 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Glidersmile:

quote:
I make BML. Find online. Mine love green beans, carrots, corn on cob yum yum! broccoli, sweet potatoes(cooked), cauliflower, baby greens lettuce, peas, celery, red bell pepper. In a pinch use jar baby food especially sweet potatoes.

If you are feeding BML (Bourbon's Modified Leadbeaters) then you should only be offering frozen mixed vegetables each night and choosing your fruit from those that are allowed on this feeding plan (apples, grapes, watermelon, cantalope, honey dew melon, frozen pitted cherries and blueberries)

The BML diet requires the high phosphorus mixed vegetables and fruits to balance the amount of calcium in the staple recipe.

Here are the original instructions for the BML Feeding plan.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/sugargliders/bml/leadbeat.html
Food, Diet
Jun 22 2015
09:50:42 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
This is her most updated information on BML http://www.bmldiet.com/
Food, Diet
Jun 22 2015
11:33:10 PM
Thanks Leela - I had not seen Bourbon's new web page. It seems odd that she did not include any contact information on the web page anywhere for folks to contact her if they have questions about her diet.

Food, Diet
Jun 22 2015
11:50:26 PM
Yw, I'm not sure why she didn't but this link came directly from her like a week ago. I do know she is on facebook a lot and answers lots of questions everyday but I would need her permission to post her page info for fb on here, just to be respectful. I post group links for facebook on here but I try not to post peoples personal page without permission...
Food, Diet
Jun 23 2015
03:53:59 AM
Hmurrell00 Starting Member Visit Hmurrell00's Photo Album USA 6 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info, yes I also have them on the BML diet.....And now I understand a lot more thanks to those who sent links, it all helped a great deal!! Ok so the only fruit's that Prince & Preston will eat are Blueberries.. Will they eventually get sick of eating the same fruit every night? And the only Veggie that they will eat is corn and that's only supposed to be given once a week....So what should I give them in place of the veggies if I can't get them to eat them daily??!!
Food, Diet
Jun 23 2015
07:58:55 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
If you've been feeding this diet for more than a few weeks and feel that it just isn't working out for them you could take a look at some of the other diets which allow for more variety. You understand now why BML is so restrictive, but other diets have completely different nectar recipes which then allow for much more freedom on the f/v that can be given.
Food, Diet
Jun 23 2015
01:38:44 PM
cosmos_mommy Glider Visit cosmos_mommy's Photo Album WV, USA 60 Posts
I feed the original HPW from thepamperedglider.com, it is pretty easy to make and they love it. There is also no restrictions on fruits or veggies. My babies were picky eaters sto I took Candys advice and I cut up fresh veggies and fruits and freeze them. Now they eat very well.
You should try giving them melons or tomatoes for fruit. Mine LOVE honeydew, watermelon and cantleloup. And tomatoes.
They also like green beans, sweet or green peppers, cucumbers, broccoli and cauliflower for veggies.
There are tons of fruits and veggies to try that I'm sure they will like, just make sure they are safe for them. There are lists online of those that are not safe. Many people think that grapes are not safe. Keep trying, good luck :)
Food, Diet
Jun 23 2015
02:02:53 PM
quote:
And the only Veggie that they will eat is corn and that's only supposed to be given once a week....So what should I give them in place of the veggies if I can't get them to eat them daily??!!

If you are feeding the BML DIET then you should offer them some of all the vegetables in the mixed vegetable bag DAILY - corn, peas, carrots and green beans - not separate vegetables each day. If there are only a few pieces of corn each night - they will learn to eat the other veggies if they are still hungry.

Try to stick close to the 1 TBS per glider of the mixed vegetables. If you offer a more generous portion then they will eat the favorite corn and leave the rest behind because they are full.

1 TBS of the mixed vegetables will probably have no more than 4 or 5 pieces of any one veggie each night.

Food, Diet
Jun 23 2015
02:10:43 PM
Hmurrell00 Starting Member Visit Hmurrell00's Photo Album USA 6 Posts
Thanks everyone, thank you for all the advice and knowledge!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders