Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is my glider deaf?
Is my glider deaf?
Health related
Jun 22 2015
11:34:23 PM
I've noticed lately after being home more for the summer that one of my gliders does not seem to hear as well as the other. I have two boys and one will perk up if I make kissy noises at him or call his name but the other one won't. I even tried a trick where I tap on the cage and see if he comes. He looks around and will go to my hand once he sees it but it doesn't seem like he hears it. The biggest worry was the other night when he was in his pouch and didn't hear the treat bag. Normally both of them come running when they see treats but this time he was in his pouch so I shook the bag. My other glider came to the sound but he didn't. I tried again the following day with the same result. My other glider came, but he didn't. Any advice? Has anyone else ever encountered this? I adopted these boys from someone who couldn't take care of them a few months ago so after getting them healthy I'm starting to see their personalities come out. They are great and it won't matter if he is deaf but just didn't know if it was something that could happen. Thanks in advance.
Health related
Jun 23 2015
01:53:18 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
It is certainly possible that he does not hear well. Exposure to loud noises or an infection in the past could have affected his hearing or he could simply have been born deaf.

I am not sure there would be anything you would need to differently for him other than make sure he sees what you are offering. In the wild it would be a HUGE handicap but for a pet glider that does not need to worry about a predator sneaking up on him it should not be a problem.
Is my glider deaf?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is my glider deaf?