Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
need advice on neutering male with joeys
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jun 24 2015
08:43:49 AM
So I have two gliders that Ive had for a while now. I got the male when he was 8 weeks OOP almost a year ago, and the female sometime around November. I wanted to see the whole 'joey raising' process at least once so I didnt want to fix the male right away. Needless to say, it was a pretty cool thing watching them work together babysitting and raising the joey, which is 8 weeks OOP as of today. I realized last week however, that she is carrying her second round of babies, I think two this time. Soooo....
my question is does anyone have any experience or advice theyd like to share about whether or not its ok to neuter the male while the female is carrying his babies in her pouch? I'm thinking it could possibly impact his paternal responses to them or something... I guess I could wait until the joeys are OOP, but by then there might be more. I feel like theyre breeding too fast as well but she's a bit of a b*** so I cant image the male is making her do anything she doesnt want
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jun 24 2015
09:53:20 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Neutering him now is the perfect timing. You should be able to return him to the colony very quickly. I have kept my boys alone the first night after the surgery then returned them to the colony the next morning to sleep with the family.

If you wait again until the joeys are OOP - when he is really needed to care for the joeys - it is likely that you will have MORE joeys on the way again.

Gliders usually mate again as soon as a set of joeys come OOP as they probably did this time.

Once dad is neutered, you can keep the first joey with mom and dad and she will also help with the joeys. Family colonies are wonderful to watch.

If either or both of the new joeys are boys, they will need to be neutered before they are 16 weeks OOP so they can also be kept with the family.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders