Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Question !
Question !
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 30 2015
03:00:37 AM
I've had my first sugar glider ,Bear , for one year already and he's not very playful. During this first year a lot has gone on and I did not get to play with him a lot, but whenever i did it was always impossible to find an area with no danger! Lately I've been trying to play with him a lot more, yet every time I open the cage he hides behind his wheel! I have to grab him to let him out and even then he always is stuck in one place and poops out of fear or immediately runs under something to hide.
I don't know what to do! I really want to let him out to fly around the house! But what if he goes under wires or downstairs or in the kitchen!! And what do I do to help him become less afraid??
Thank You!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 30 2015
03:22:16 AM
Bishiglomper Joey 19 Posts
You might need to start the bonding process over.. get a bonding pouch, treat him like a new glider.

Do you have a small tent you can get? Tent time is good for a safe play area if there's no other safe place to have him out and about. I wouldn't jump to that until he trusts you more though.

Edited by - Bishiglomper on Jun 30 2015 03:23:00 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 30 2015
10:29:23 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Gmorning,

I would definately start using a bonding bag during the day with him again, and get him neutered if necessary and a cage mate. I'd imagine he is very lonely

Stop trying to get him out of the cage when he's already awake, your just making it harder on yourself and him.

Secure/glider proof your bathroom, close toilet lid, any gaps above or below the door make sure they are filled you can use a towel. Check under counter tops for any holes, make sure the drawers are all closed, put anything that can be knocked over in a basket somewhere and do play time in the secure bathroom.

Take the glider out of the cage while he is still in his sleeping pouch. Bring snacks, and a pouch to transport him back to his cage. I wouldn't advise letting him free roam your house, play time should be in a small enough space that he has to interact with you and get to know you.
Question !

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Question !