GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Time In Bathroom Forever?
Question
Jul 12 2015
01:10:35 AM
Helllo fellow glider lovers

Okay, I learned very quickly that having my little babies loose in my room is a terrible idea! I, at first, thought that they would stay next to me and their toys based on how the first two days with them went but I now realize that they were just being shy in their new home. Now, they are WILD and I understand why it is so highly suggested to get them out in a tent or in the bathroom. My question is, is this a forever thing? I know each glider is different and that there probably is not an absolute answer to this but will they always be this wild and adventurous? I've watched youtube videos of Glider mommies sitting in their living rooms just letting their babies climb all over them and they were not running wild. I just cannot imagine having to lock myself in the bathroom with my gliders for the next 13 years every night when it is time to play. Yikess.

Thanks for your help,
Kendal
Question
Jul 12 2015
01:53:49 AM
WithyWillow Glider Visit WithyWillow's Photo Album 97 Posts
I can't speak for others, but mine is a wild child. My computer room has been cleared out (except for the computer of course, and that has become "his room". He can run wild and free all he wants as long as I'm there with him.

He climbs the drapes, flies onto my head, runs all over the top of his cage, falls in the waste basket next to my desk, PEES on my desk, pees on ME, rubs his chest on the arms of my office chair, tries to drink my iced tea, crawls into the basket of documents I need to shred and proceeds to shred them for me, rolls around in my bra, stands on my shoulder and breathes heavily in my ear like a little pervert... and he does all of this in 2.5 seconds.

Some gliders are solar powered, some are jet fueled. It also depends on age and temperament. Just like human kids. You can have the kind that will sit and color for 3 hours, or you can end up with that child that takes everything out of your lower kitchen cabinets and builds a fort out of stainless steel cookery. Parenting, whether it's suggies or human children, is really luck of the draw.
Question
Jul 12 2015
01:57:53 AM
kendalsgliders Starting Member Visit kendalsgliders's Photo Album 9 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by WithyWillow

I can't speak for others, but mine is a wild child. My computer room has been cleared out (except for the computer of course, and that has become "his room". He can run wild and free all he wants as long as I'm there with him.

He climbs the drapes, flies onto my head, runs all over the top of his cage, falls in the waste basket next to my desk, PEES on my desk, pees on ME, rubs his chest on the arms of my office chair, tries to drink my iced tea, crawls into the basket of documents I need to shred and proceeds to shred them for me, rolls around in my bra, stands on my shoulder and breathes heavily in my ear like a little pervert... and he does all of this in 2.5 seconds.

Some gliders are solar powered, some are jet fueled. It also depends on age and temperament. Just like human kids. You can have the kind that will sit and color for 3 hours, or you can end up with that child that takes everything out of your lower kitchen cabinets and builds a fort out of stainless steel cookery. Parenting, whether it's suggies or human children, is really luck of the draw.

Well, that brings me to another question! lol. How long are they considered babies/ children?/ When do they reach the label "adult"? Now that I think about it, I do not remember reading about this.
Question
Jul 12 2015
02:09:57 AM
They reach adulthood (sexual maturity) before one year, but I've heard that they might be 3-4 years old before they grow to their largest size. My guy is approximately 2-3 years old. He was a rescue, so I'm his third owner. He is still quite small, but from what I've read some gliders are just slight of frame their whole lives.

Early evening and morning hours are the best time for my guy. He's sleepy enough to not run wild, but awake enough to interact.
Question
Jul 12 2015
07:20:48 AM
jlprkr Glider Visit jlprkr's Photo Album 90 Posts
Unless you want to use your bathroom forever I'd consider making other rooms glider "safe". They pretty much will always be wild and adventurous. Not necessarily a bad thing, its what you signed up for afterall
Question
Jul 12 2015
12:14:53 PM
kendalsgliders Starting Member Visit kendalsgliders's Photo Album 9 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by jlprkr

Unless you want to use your bathroom forever I'd consider making other rooms glider "safe". They pretty much will always be wild and adventurous. Not necessarily a bad thing, its what you signed up for afterall

Yes yes. I think the thing that freaked me out the most is how little they are right now. They can basically fit into any nook or cranny! Ahhhh! Funny story, I didn't realize how little they still were before I bought them and I had already bought their cage. Well, they fit between the wire bars. I had to make an emergency run to Walmart and get a small bird cage for them for the mean time. Anyways, my question for you is, how do I make the room "glider safe?" Besides the obvious making sure there is no clutter laying around or little things they could potentially swallow, are there any tips you could give me about making sure the room is safe for them?
Question
Jul 12 2015
01:02:20 PM
Watch out for wires and things they can chew, invest in some baby proof electrical socket plugs so they don't stick a finger in a socket by accident. Make sure there are no cleaning solutions or chemicals in the room. All cigarettes/e-cigs/e-juice/lighters/ashtrays should be removed as well as any medications or over the counter stuff. Look for anything that might be a choking hazard or small enough to ingest. Make sure there are no wax/oil burners turned on, lit candles or any open flames whatsoever. Just like a glider can drown in a toilet, make sure there are no other water hazards in the room too.
Question
Jul 12 2015
02:51:50 PM
jlprkr Glider Visit jlprkr's Photo Album 90 Posts
Go to ACE Hardware, or any hardware store and buy a red light bulb (no more than 60 watts). If you have light in the room the glider will naturally go to the darkest part which is usually a place you don't want them. Even low light = hide mode.

The red light will let you see them and not mess up their night vision. Basically like the previous poster said, just do things like you would for a toddler.

Your glider will go everywhere if they feel safe enough, but they will also periodically come back and climb on you.

Be prepared for them to try and get as high as possible, always keep an eye on them and have fun.

This is why I don't like the bathroom, they're usually small and just not fun for me or them.

Edited by - jlprkr on Jul 12 2015 02:53:16 PM
Question
Jul 17 2015
03:09:45 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
We have had our girls for two years now, and mostly play in the bathroom. It gives them more room for jumping and gliding than a tent does. Sometimes (not very often) we take them out in the living room to just do something different.

We use the light of my cell phone and it doesn't seem to bother them. And it provides enough light that we can see them well enough. We used to use a small lamp we got from Walmart that had a 15 W bulb in it, thinking it didn't really bother them, and they spent most of their time in our sleeves. Then we took them with us to NC, and didn't take the lamp, so we used my cell phone, and they were much more active!
Question
Jul 17 2015
03:16:40 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
As for glider proofing, we stuff noodles (pool things)under doors, block off any openings/slits 1/2" or bigger, and put lots of toys in the bathrooom like garden mesh on the wall, hung up a sweatshirt, got a fabric shower curtain, put shelves up over the toilet with toys. Some gliders are chewers so you want to make sure there are no cords in "their space", put baby covers in any outlets, remove/cover any trash cans or anything else they could fall into. We got rid of our toaster, got the kind of trash cans that open up a lid when you press a pedal

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders