Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
clipping hind nails?
clipping hind nails?
Question
Jul 12 2015
05:15:33 PM
It was once again time to cut the girls nails because they are getting caught during playtime. About 9 months ago we decided to cut the hind nails for the first time, and ever since then they have had some problems with their hind foot getting caught on shirts, sweaters, you name it unless it is not fabric like their cage or the mesh on the bathroom wall. Has anybody else had a problem like this? Is there anything we can do besides keep cutting the nails every 2 weeks? I don't want to cut the grooming nails on the hind feet, it is the others we have been cutting.
Information
Jul 12 2015
07:10:23 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
When you clip the nails make sure your nail clippers are very sharp so you get a clean cut of the nail tip. Dull clippers might leave a rough edge to still get caught.

You can trim the grooming nails if the are the ones getting caught - but just a very small amount from the very sharp tip. The grooming nails might not need to be trimmed every time you do the rest of the nails but if they are long and very sharp they could be the nails that are snagging.
Question
Jul 14 2015
03:44:26 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts

Thanks Candy!

I think the clippers are pretty sharp. My husband does the clipping while I hold the girls, and he says they are sharp.What we have are a little pair of scissors-do actual clippers work better?
Question
Jul 14 2015
10:17:02 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I use baby fingernail clippers to snip the sharp tips. Cuticle nippers work well also.
clipping hind nails?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
clipping hind nails?