GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
doin everything right?
doin everything right?
Question
Jul 18 2015
06:33:21 PM
Hi,

I am a new owner of three suggies, and they are currently living in a glider proofed spare room. Do you think that the bonding process goes slower if they have a room as theire 'cage'?
There are some ropes for them to climb and some three's to climb and the room is 2.5 x 4 meter. i am planning to make some more toys for them in their room, any advices?
2 of them are kind of bonded already but 1 of them is very very afraid of human interaction, i think he had some bad experiences where he was born.

2 of them are around a year o.o.p. and 1 is 6 months o.o.p.
Theye are non related and all 3 coming out of different collonies.

The breeder i got them from owns 4 colonies, so that she can sell unrelated pairs, trio's.

also i am planning on buying ecaliptis three's for them, since thats more of the natural environment.

as food i give them BML and additional fruits veggies en feeder insects ( i also own a lot of reptiles so i do have those on regular base)
Do i have to add bee pollen and/ore Calcium to this diet?

Other than that i carry them around my neck in their pouch as much as i can, and around dusk i go and play with them for an hour each day. its a lot of fun to see them gliding true the room lol.

Am i doing everything right?
Some advices?

Thanks in advance,

Jody

Question
Jul 18 2015
06:56:36 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to glider parenthood.

First - none of us do every thing right. Owning gliders is a constant learning process and teaches us all patience.

It may be a little harder to bond with your gliders if they always have the run of an entire room. When they are in a cage you have a little more opportunity to offer them treats in your hand to coax them to come to you because you can get their attention a little easier. An entire room allows them to spend a lot of time playing but out of your reach. It may be more difficult to get them to focus on you.

If you do not already have one, the would love to have a glider safe running wheel to use in their room. I have links on my web page to several great wheels. My own preference is the Stealth. I have two in each of my colony cages that have been in use for over 6 years and all of them are still silent and work like new.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/FAQ.html

Be sure the room is totally secure including dust dodgers or other means to block the space under the door to the room. Gliders can slide under doors that are even slightly more than 1/2 inch above the floor.

quote:
as food i give them BML and additional fruits veggies en feeder insects ( i also own a lot of reptiles so i do have those on regular base)
Do i have to add bee pollen and/ore Calcium to this diet?

The BML recipe already contains a large dosage of vitamins and calcium supplements. NO other supplements should be added.

There is also a short list of fruits that are allowed on the BML diet and ONLY frozen mixed vegetables should be fed each night. The high phosphorus fruits and vegetables are required by this staple recipe to balance the calcium dosage called for in the recipe.

Here are the specific instructions for BML if you have not read the original information.

http://www.bmldiet.com/index.html

Question
Jul 18 2015
07:22:12 PM
Jodykersten Joey 45 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, well i do get their attention if i enter the room in the beginning they were only coming to me and run away when almost at me.
And now they are already crawling over me and jumping on me and taking treats like meal worms and such out of my hand. But not the male i spoke about, he starts jumping on me now and than for short period, i think he just needs some more time to learn he can trust me.

I 'trained' them to trust me by putting a little bit of accacia honey on my fingertips and allow them to lick it off, while making a sound.
Now when i make this sound they already come to me to look whats going on and climb up my shoulders. I only have them for three weeks now so i think bonding goes quiet well so far.
I did a lot of research for about 3 years now, before i got them.
Here in holland there are not many gliderkeepers, and there are only like 3 breeders.
So i had to wait untill some advertisement of someone selling them popped up for a long long time, and when i saw 1 i drove up there immediately to get them and glider proofed the spare room i have.

Has anyone experience with those ecaliptus tree's, do they destroy them or just nip on sometimes?
I was planning on getting three of those tree's from lets say 100 - 150 cm in hight for them, this also covers up there smell a little i suppose.

i also read that red light does not disturbs them in theire night vision, like with reptiles, is this correct? does it also counts for led light?

doin everything right?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
doin everything right?