Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I've already trying my hard to bond with my gliders :(
Question
Jul 24 2015
01:25:16 PM
I'm new owner of sugar gliders as i bought my two baby girls almost 3 weeks. I've done all my affords research about sugar gliders before and after i bought my babies, and i've tried all the tips that bonding with my baby girls and of course there are some results until recently. My baby girls named Jiejie and Meimei. Meimei and i having a good bonding progress as she with jump on my hand if she wanna come out of the cage, but sometimes she will give me few hard bites for food when my fingers went inside the pouch pet her (i think she needs treat). But my main problem here was happened on JieJie, she is older than Meimei approximately 1 week and she used to be very active when the first day we got her, she will crab at me, that is normal i know. Ever since i put a lot of affords and try to bond with them, finally Jiejie wouldnt crab at me and she knew my scent, sometimes she will lay inside the pouch and look at me, then she allows me to pet her. Sometimes she will bite me but it is a soft bite to let me know she needs treat. Here is the problem comes, Jiejie will not active as much as she first came to our home and when i took her out of the cage she will only stay on my body, she will not like Meimei exploring my whole body. She will let me pet her and sometimes she need my attention only she will sleep (inside the pouch). But why she is still not bond with me like Meimei ? please forgive my poor language
Question
Jul 24 2015
03:34:20 PM
redskinz10 Joey Visit redskinz10's Photo Album 13 Posts
Not all gliders will bond the same. I have had my twin girls for over 9 months now and one had been sweet from the get go and the other has just gotten to the point that she likes to be held. The male I have with them will not tolerate being held at all... He will let me pet him he will climb all over me but when I go to pick him up he goes ape *. I have found that is how he is and probably will be.. They are no different than humans with their different personalities. I would also not give them so many treats while in the pouch. They sound like they are training you a little bit!! Lol
Question
Jul 24 2015
03:54:53 PM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
Every glider is an individual. They bond differently and they act differently. Some like to play during their out of cage time. Some just want to sit and chill. Just because the two gliders act differently doesn't mean they aren't bonded. It's only been a few weeks and your gliders are establishing who is the dominant one. Meimei sounds like the dominant one. If jeijei is happy just sitting on your body then let her. Hope this helps.
Question
Jul 24 2015
09:30:45 PM
celine0707 Joey 14 Posts
Thanks redskinz10 and boss. I know that different glider has a different personality, but both of my babis seem like do not like been held by my hand. Jiejie will run away to my shoulder or my back then hang there, I can feel Jiejie is scare of being outside the cage or pouch :( Meimei will keep explore thats why i like and feeling sweet, at least she is not scare of me Jiejie will let me pet her at least she probably got a little bit trust me but why she is still dont feel secure when i holding her Just like yesterday night, Jiejie as usual lay inside the pouch starring at me when i was playing my game, then when i realised i do quickly go pet her, and she seems like got a little bit tear inside her eyes and her body language shows that she just like got a little bit grievances what is that means? I have put more attention on her compare to MeiMei.
Question
Jul 24 2015
10:49:55 PM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
You have to be patient. I can take months for gliders to fully bond. It's only been 3 weeks. They are still getting used to their new home and you. Some gliders don't like to be held. They may even be scared of your hands. To prevent this if you are ever chasing your glider pick them up with a piece of fleece instead of your bare hands. Put honey on the tip of you finger and let them lick it or a treat in your hand and let them come to you to take the treat. That way they learn that your hands provide good things. Also are you trying to hold them at night when they are awake? Most gliders are ok with being in the pouch and held during the daytime when they are sleepy but a night let them run and play. Don't force them in a pouch or try to keep them in you hands. Your gliders seem to be doing well right now though, give it a few more weeks. Tell us if they improve or not. But you have to understand that they may not change. They may not want to be picked up or one will want to play while the other will just sit on your shoulder. By the way what do you feed your gliders?
Question
Jul 25 2015
01:03:04 AM
celine0707 Joey 14 Posts
I fed them hpw and they do enjoy it until they are addicted to hpw :( they don't like eating fruits and veggies, but I still give them before I feed them hpw, they will lick and chew a little bit, then throw away ~.~ I did tried hand feed them until they will bite my hand every time my hand go inside the pouch @.@" so I stopped feeding by hand let them bite few times until they realized my hand got nothing only stop biting me. Btw, Meimei yesterday seems like groom my hand so hard by using her teeth and lick me after that, is that a sign that she showing loving me? =D I hold Jiejie during daytime when she was sleeping, or when I feeding her hpw. Meimei will jump on me when nighttime, she just wanna come out the cage play :D also, I planned to buy a glider tent to have wonderful play time with them. #9825;#9825;#9825;

Edited by - celine0707 on Jul 25 2015 01:04:24 AM
Question
Jul 25 2015
02:13:36 AM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
I trained my gliders to like being held in my hand by cupping them while they are in their pouch sleeping. First cup them through the pouch (your hand on outside of pouch, them sleeping inside), then slowly slip your hand in the pouch and cup them. They will eventually fall asleep. Once they get used to your hand around them cuddling in the pouch, you can slowly scoop them out in your hand. This can take time, from days to weeks. Once they are comfortable in your hand (I find they like to hold a thumb for support), all it takes is a gentle hold and a petting on their head to ease them back to sleep if they awake.

I think that they like to sit on you is a good sign. Try not to make fast movements when you go to pet them. Also, I find rolling down the top of the sleeping pouch or pushing the bottom up instead of reaching in with your hand helps to avoid bites. A hand reaching into the pouch can scare a glider. Your fingers and outstretched hand can remind them of a predator about to attack/eat them.

Be patient, your girls are very new still. Keep at it and go at their pace and you'll be fine.
Question
Jul 25 2015
11:50:02 AM
celine0707 Joey 14 Posts
Thanks Glideit, i will try your method on Jiejie because Meimei is the active one, i think she will never like to stay on the same place more than 5 seconds, she likes to explore her little world. Jiejie still got potential to train to be same as your glider, and i hope someday i can reach there Meimei just jump from my bf's shoulder and accidentally fall down, then she quickly run back to my bf's hand when my bf offers his hand to Meimei, i think she already felt we are safe to her, so happy Jiejie same as usual, like to stay in her pouch and seeking of my hand to pet her. Maybe she is showing another way of love towards me anyhow, I'd feeling sweet and touch when she let me pet on her. however she will be turning active during midnight in the cage, she had a lot of fun playing in the cage with Meimei. I do not buy any toys to my baby girls yet because i saw some websites tell that do not offer toys to them before we bond with our gliders, or else they will like to staying in their cage rather than playing with us
Question
Jul 25 2015
03:33:59 PM
I don't know what website told you not to buy toys because that is a load of crap. Go out and get your girls s glider safe wheel, plastic rings, fleece ropes and things like that. Gliders are awake all night and they need some fun and stimulation during that time. They NEED toys. Search for some glider safe toys online. Try putting plastic straws between the cage bars, they'll have fun pulling them out. Giving them toys may also help them bond to you better. Also what size cage do you have?
Question
Jul 25 2015
11:17:48 PM
celine0707 Joey 14 Posts
Thanks boss, i will buy safe wheel and other toys for them ASAP Because finding a glider safe wheel in my place bere is hardly find :( i found wodent wheel in some pet shops here but i will not buy wodent wheel for them as i saw some accident caused on sugar glider my cage is approximately 17" length, 12.5" width and 28.5" height, does my cage enough to let them play inside through whole night long? Yesterday i woke up at 3am something to observe them, they have their fun playtime with each other, they run through all the cage together and have some wrestling, i heard chip sounds too btw, as i mentioned earlier, i'd buy glider tent in order to have best time with them. Oh ya, i found that my two baby girls like to chew or bite the cage, what is that means?

Edited by - celine0707 on Jul 25 2015 11:20:53 PM
Information
Jul 26 2015
12:15:42 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
my cage is approximately 17" length, 12.5" width and 28.5" height,

Your cage is quite small for two sugar gliders and it is very likely that the doors are too small for you to get a glider safe wheel into the cage.

The smallest cage I recommend for sugar gliders is the Brisbane cage which is 33 inches wide 22 inches deep and 36 inches high.

http://www.sugar-glider-store.com/brisbane-cage.html

You may want to look for a cage closer to this size for your gliders to have enough room to climb and jump around.
Question
Jul 26 2015
03:19:36 AM
celine0707 Joey 14 Posts
Thanks Candy, i will consider about it as they growing up. Btw my cage got a very big door to convenient user, so i still can buy them a safe wheel my little girls only 30g & 29g my local vet said both of them are too skinny so she deworm both of them and gave me two supplements which are anti oxidant and metabolism, this is because both of them too early separated from their parents ;( i got both of them at the same time, Jiejie was 8 weeks and MeiMei was 7 weeks. Both of them were came from different family
Information
Jul 26 2015
09:59:05 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Glider safe wheels are 12 inches across and about 4 inches deep. The stand adds to that size depending on the wheel. Your small cage may not have wire that is sturdy enough to support a side mounted wheel.

If the door of the cage is less than 12 inches you will not be able to get a glider safe wheel into the cage with out taking it apart unless it has a removeable bottom grate and cage pan that will allow you to put the wheel into the cage through the bottom.

Your gliders may be younger than 7 weeks. Most healthy 8 week OOP joeys are close to 50 or 60 grams.
Question
Jul 26 2015
11:55:30 AM
celine0707 Joey 14 Posts
But both of my baby girls have fluffy tails now When i got them Jiejie was already has a fluffy tail and Meimei's furs quite messy especially her tail. After i owned them about two weeks and i special take care Meimei, Meimei's furs finally became softy and fluffy tail. I saw some of the websites said a healthy glider will own a fluffy tail. Is that true? I just took them to general check up and deworm them this wednesday
Question
Aug 02 2015
01:11:09 PM
celine0707 Joey 14 Posts
Just for some updates, Jiejie's weight is 47g now and Meimei is 37g Meimei is lighter because she ate lesser compare with Jiejie, and she is actives than Jiejie also :)
Question
Aug 02 2015
05:17:40 PM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
You can offer them some extra mealworms and some avocado to help them gain weight, too. My gliders just love avocado! It's always the first thing gone off their dinner plate when I offer it. It's good for their coat, too, lots of healthy fats.
Question
Aug 03 2015
07:25:21 AM
celine0707 Joey 14 Posts
Thanks so much Glideit, i will try to get some avocado for them sooner. Hopefully they like it because they dont really like to eat fruits and veggies much :( any veggies that your gliders like to eat the most that can advice to me also? I really need help for that
Question
Aug 03 2015
04:06:45 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
My babies love sugar snap peas, but I don't give them peas every day.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders