Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My suggie has been diagnosed with HLP
Health related
Jul 25 2015
07:05:21 AM
My 5 1/2 year old Chloe, was diagnosed with HLP this week. She's getting treatment, the 1st vet visit she got a vitamin d shot, calcium shot and a antibiotic shot. She was very under weight, 54 ounces! She is my sweet glider and never bites or crabs, she always chirps when she sees me up until this week. She crabs and bites, she is fighting with her sister ( I have separated them until she gets better ) it's heartbreaking :( But Good news, within 2 days I took her back for a check up and she gained 2 ounces. Doctor gave her a vitamin b shot to help increase her appetite. She's going back next week for another vitamin b shot and d shot. I'm giving her liquid calcium daily. She seems to be doing better, she has more mobility in her legs so it looks like the Medicine is working. Doctor says he's impressed with her progress!
Has anyone had a suggie who has HLP. If so, did u notice their attitudes change while they were sick? Did they go back to their normal selves when they were better?

Health related
Jul 25 2015
07:35:34 AM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
What are you feeding your gliders? If the Hlp is caused my lack of nutrition in their diet your other glider can get Hlp too.
Health related
Jul 25 2015
08:25:01 AM
carafernicola Joey Gliderpedia Editor Visit carafernicola's Photo Album 43 Posts
I feed them a variety of foods, fruit, poached chicken, eggs, yogurt, BML. However I found out that corn is very bad for them and I have been giving them frozen organic veggies that had corn in it a lot. My gliders are very paticular and the frozen veggies they always eat. Now that I know that they will not be getting corn anymore. My other glider is fine. I'm definitely going to be paying close attention to the phospherous calcium ratio moving forward. I thought I was doing everything right being I've had them for so long, i feel horrible that I didn't know about the corn not being good for them.
Health related
Jul 25 2015
08:50:08 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
It is often assumed -and said- that HLP is caused by a diet deficient in calcium, but there has never been any proofs of this, in fact many gliders diagnosed with HLP had a regular approved diet, and lack of calcium from food intake with BML is unlikely (rather the opposite in fact, which is why only fruits and vegetables high in phosphorus can be given with it, to balance the excess of calcium).

It seems however that gliders with HLP all have underlying bacterial infections, which could very well cause disturbances of calcium metabolisation, and in return lead to HLP (faster if the meal is low in calcium indeed, but still slowly depleting calcium from the bones and muscles with a high in calcium diet), which is why treatment includes antibiotics and not only calcium injections. I think it's important to remember this instead of immediately blaming the lack of proper food (besides, corn is important and necessary with the BML diet).

Edited by - sjusovare on Jul 25 2015 08:53:29 AM
Health related
Jul 25 2015
11:18:05 AM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
I just wanted to make sure your suggies were eating a proper diet. So the diet probably isn't to blame for the Hlp. If you feed bml then you need to feed the recommended fruits and veggies. Keep the corn in the diet. If you don't want to feed them corn anymore then you will have to give then a different staple. Hope you baby is feeling better.
Health related
Aug 15 2015
07:06:06 PM
carafernicola Joey Gliderpedia Editor Visit carafernicola's Photo Album 43 Posts
I'm happy to report that Chloe is doing so much better! I took her to the vet a total of 5 times but it was well worth it. She needed vita,in d shots once a week for 2 weeks, and vitamin b twice a week to help increase her appetite be she wasn't eating much and lost so much weight (she weighed 54 grams when I brought her in)! She gets liquid calcium daily as well. After 3 weeks, she's gained 9 grams, is eating and very active. She is walking normal again too!

Thank you for your prayers!
-happy and relieved sugar glider mommy!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders