Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
first time glider owner, 4 year old sugar bear
Rescue
Aug 03 2015
12:02:36 AM
I just took on a little sugar bear named Bandit. he's 4 years old and he's my first; therefore I'm extremely new to this. I've searched almost every website to learn how to be the best mommy I can be and this seems like the best place for the answers I'm looking for.
I wanted to know some foods that my little man can and cannot eat. I know the basics but I'm not sure what fruit and veggies are a no no.
I've had him for 4 days now and he's getting adjusted to me, I know what his sounds mean so I know our boundaries. he's kinda chunky for a glider I've notice and I was wondering how I could get him down to a healthier weight safely. I want the best for him and I want to keep him happy and healthy.
any tips or advice wether it's on food or bonding I'd love any feedback. THANK YOU!! much love!
Rescue
Aug 03 2015
08:17:30 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Here is a comprehensive list of the safe and toxic foods: https://sites.google.com/site/oakleysglidersite/safe-and-toxic-foods-list

You're right, this site has such a wealth of information that has been compiled over the years into the Gliderpedia. There are also always good folks here in the forum to help out with specific questions.

Congratulations on your little guy. A couple questions. At 4 years old...has he always been a lone glider? How did you acquire him? If he's a little chunky do you know what diet he was eating before he came to your home? They can get heavy even on a good diet, but many times it is due to poor diets. In that regard, have you gone through the recommended diets and found one that you will be using?

You're already doing a good job, wanting them happy and healthy is key!

You've asked about bonding. I won't go into it at this point, there are some articles here, as well as people who will come along shortly that have their tips in a "copy and paste" format. I find it easier to troubleshoot as it goes along. LOL

Best of luck and glider love!
Rescue
Aug 03 2015
12:18:19 PM
kaleenelizabeth Starting Member 2 Posts
bandit had a brother that passed away 2 years ago for unknown reasons so he's been alone since then.
the kids that wanted them lost interest and the mother felt she couldn't give him the attention he needed and I took him in after making sure I could give him the attention and specific diet that will keep him healthy.
she mostly fed him fruits like apples and melon and his favorite was peanut butter and corn. she said he got chunky within the last year but he's peeing and pooping normally and eating and drinking. his coat is nice and no bald spots so I believe he's doing okay as a lone glider.
as per bonding I believe I'm doing okay but I'll definitely look into the posts about it to find more ways to bond.
thank you again!
Rescue
Aug 04 2015
02:38:59 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Sounds like you've got a good shot at having a glider buddy. After two years of being on his own he likely will be ok as a lone glider, with your companionship. In most cases it isn't recommended, but his is a bit different. If you do notice stress signs of loneliness (repetitive bored behavior like backflips, lethargy that isn't health related, etc.) you might consider finding a cage mate, but it might actually be very difficult to find one he would get along with at this point.

No more peanut butter for the chunky guy! And cut back on the corn. I know you're getting your diet dialed in so I'm not worried about that, though.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders