Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Excessive sneezing?
Excessive sneezing?
Information
Aug 06 2015
12:57:06 AM
I am aware that sugar gliders sneeze into there hands to groom themselve, but my girl is sneezing excessively mostly when i first pick her up. Is sneezing normal? Should I be concerned?
Information
Aug 06 2015
09:08:18 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Is she otherwise eating well, sleeping soundly during the day and alert and active at night? Peeing and pooping with out difficulty?

Sneezing is also a reflex to clear the air passages of any dust or lint. It is not always a sign of illness.

If you are worried about the general health of your glider - a well check up with a glider experienced vet is always a good idea - and recommended for any glider new to your home. Fecal testing will also insure that your glider does not have parasites which can affect its overall health if left untreated.

Information
Aug 06 2015
01:57:49 PM
Cyan_Sky Joey Visit Cyan_Sky's Photo Album 18 Posts
Yes shes eating fine. Yes and yes. But is it really necessary for a trip to the vet to check for parasites? I don't have money to just go to a vet, I only wanna go if i know
Something is for sure wrong.
Information
Aug 16 2015
09:24:05 PM
krossia Glider FL, USA 50 Posts
I can not help you with this problem since I'm not too experienced with their medical needs yet. I'm still learning.

However, just to brainstorm: Do you wear perfume? Possibly excessive chemicals are bothering her and making her sneeze? Maybe there is something you encounter commonly or work with and it bothers her? A friend of mine specifically puts perfume on her inner wrists and when she forgets to wash it off, her gliders get irritated by it and sneeze. They never sneeze excessively otherwise. I would play around with that to see if it could possibly be it.

Either way, I just wanted to leave a little note for you to keep in mind: The thing with exotics is that by the time they are showing symptoms, its usually too late for the problem to be corrected. Sugar gliders especially are known for hiding symptoms.

This isn't always the case, but don't assume it is.

So, its your call in the end; if you really feel all the sneezing is abnormal, then I would get it checked.

Edited by - krossia on Aug 16 2015 09:24:58 PM
Excessive sneezing?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Excessive sneezing?