Sugar Gliders
Bald spot.
Next |
Page: of 2
Bald spot.
Health related
Aug 21 2015
07:21:58 PM
So I have two female gkiders, Aussie and Chip. I have had them with my girlfriend for about 2 years now. We spend as much time with them as any loveing parent.

Well last week we went to the beach with our travel cage which is about half the size of their normal cage. And they also didn't get much free roam time compared to at home because they get free roam all night in our bed room at home. Well the 3rd night in I noticed a bald spot on the small of Chips back and it had me worried.. We thought it could be some over grooming because of the stress from the trip to the beach and being confined to a cage since our babies have shown a little anxiety in the past.

So when we got home we decided to separate them because we thought it was Aussie chewing Chips head. Aussie got free roam of the room plus the travel cage for food toys and bed while chip got the normal cage with her favorite toy, the wheel! It seemed to be going ok. The spot on her back wasn't getting any bigger nd it started to scab, a sign of healing. But I could tell they missed each other. So last night I put them together for 5 min of supervised time. I noticed Aussie tried to chew Chips scab so I separated them again nd kept chip in the cage away from her sister. Well I noticed today that the scab is gone nd its back to just bald skin with a small blood scab in the center. Making me think she did it herself.

Is she over grooming herself? Or just healing? Think I should put them back together to see what happens? Or what? I'm being a worried parent and need some advice. There doesn't seem to be any other signs of over grooming any where else but the one spot on her back which is a little smaller then a size of a dime...

Please help.
Health related
Aug 21 2015
08:28:31 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
First can you take pictures of the wound ?

Second if it's on the back of her neck area it sounds like a dominance wound. Get a bottle of Vetericyn VF gel spray. It will help promote faster healing it's not cheap at 30 bucks a bottle, but it will last forever and does a great job with minor wounds like that and is safe if they lick it. I used it on a females mating wound and on my other females face when she fought with a cage mate.

Default, miscellaneous
Aug 21 2015
09:53:48 PM
Sammyguy55 Glider Visit Sammyguy55's Photo Album 56 Posts

This is from when we first noticed.. Now it is more clean but not any bigger.. I can try to get s better picture tmrw when they are asleep.
Health related
Aug 21 2015
11:33:17 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
yes please do, as clear as you can so I can blow the pic up if I need to. And Definitely get some vetericyn for it! http://vetericyn.com/locator/ this link will tell you what local stores to you carry it, call ahead to the store to make sure they have it in stock. This is what my girl's looked like took about a week or so to heal up all the way with vetericyn twice a day.

Health related
Aug 22 2015
09:15:34 AM

This is my poor baby this morning
Health related
Aug 22 2015
10:57:15 AM
definately go get some vetericyn it will help it heal. If you HAVE to keep her separated from her cage mate until it is all healed so the cage mate doesn't over groom or keep picking the scab off. Where are you located ?
Health related
Aug 22 2015
12:24:44 PM
So definitely keep them separate 100% till its fully healed? And we are located in Germantown MD.
Health related
Aug 22 2015
03:11:10 PM
You can let them sleep together during the day in a bonding bag so you can tell if one or both of them is over grooming that spot. And you CAN separate them at night until she is healed up if you think it's not going to heal if they are together.

if you do separate make sure they both have stimulating toys in their cages
these two store have vetericyn but make sure they have some in stock it's about 30 bucks a bottle get the gel kind and put it on the wound 2 or 3 times a day

Pet Valu Gaithersburg
20028 Goshen Road, Unit A7
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
(301) 947-0495

Surrey Central - Darnestown
14120 Darnestown Rd
Darnestown, MD 20874
Health related
Aug 24 2015
05:03:04 PM
So I haven't bought the Gel yet.. but I noticed today that the spot got a little bigger.. no more scab.. but just a little bigger. And I have not put them together at all..
Health related
Aug 24 2015
05:27:05 PM
Vicki2015 Glider Visit Vicki2015's Photo Album 68 Posts
If it's getting bigger you might need to see a vet, does it look infected? If it is the infection might be growing but from previous pics it doesn't look infected. I would at least call the vet and ask them yourself. Could she be possibly licking it herself or scratching at it?
Health related
Aug 24 2015
05:36:35 PM
It doesn't look infected at all. Just dry skin like the previous picture. Not even a scab any more.. She could be. But I thought it was her sister doing it to her because it didn't get any worse for a little less then a week. Yeah I was thinking about calling our vet.
Health related
Aug 24 2015
05:50:45 PM
It could of been both of them but definitely call the vet before it does get infected. Hope things get better!
Health related
Aug 24 2015
06:17:27 PM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
If you're not able to pick up the gel then you really should get her into the vet for treatment advice. Quick treatment in the beginning will help healing immensely. If it's getting bigger already when she's on her own she might be scratching at it but with neck location bites it's hard to restrain her with something like an e-collar as it would interfere with the wound.

Really, you need to get some Veticyrn or to the vet before it gets infected or opens up further.
Health related
Aug 24 2015
09:23:02 PM
I will go pick up the Gel tomorrow. and call my vet. My other question.. since she seems to start doing it herself.. maybe cause she is separate from her sister. You think I should put them back together and let them both have free roam of the bedroom and their main cage? or still keep the separate?
Health related
Aug 24 2015
09:38:49 PM
You could if you really want to but you would have to keep an eye on them to make sure her sister doesn't make it worse, possibly keep them deprecate while your asleep but let them be together during play time.
Health related
Aug 25 2015
09:17:33 PM
So I went and bought the spray for her bad spot and started to use it today. And I have a vet appointment for Friday morning. I'm keeping the separate except for a little supervised play time. Thank you for the help and I will keep you all updated. I even bought them new toys jest in case it was bordem. Her sister tried to like her spot about 3 times and I stopped her but now they seem to just be having fun.
Health related
Aug 25 2015
11:35:03 PM
That's great! I'm glad things are getting better and definitely keep us posted about how the vet goes
Health related
Aug 26 2015
02:36:24 PM
So apparently the vet we went to no longer works in the area. And the only other vet I know that takes care of suger gliders can't see them till next Wednesday. Is there a website I can look up suger gliders vets in my area?
Health related
Aug 26 2015
03:13:08 PM
www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pages/Sugar_Glider_Vet_Database/North_America/United_States/index.html

This is a website you can use to find more if your in USA (I'm assuming you are)
Health related
Aug 27 2015
12:11:19 PM
Feathers, Scales & Tails
Dr. Heather Bowles & Dr. Thomas Ryan
310 Woodward Rd. Ste. 3
Westminster, MD 21157
(410) 871-0244
www.fstvet.com

About an hour north east of you
Health related
Aug 27 2015
02:54:52 PM
Any updates on this little sweetie?
Health related
Aug 27 2015
03:06:08 PM
We have a vet apt Friday for her. I have been using the spray 4 times a day for the past day and a half. It doesn't seem to be getting better but its also not getting worse. During play time her sister still tries to get at it a few times till I split them up nd anoy her then they just play. Lol trading off who gets free roam of the bed room at night to keep them both happy. Thanks again for all your help and I'll let you know what the vet says.

Edited by - Sammyguy55 on Aug 27 2015 03:07:04 PM
Health related
Aug 27 2015
04:46:11 PM
If there is no longer a scab your not going to see much difference until the fur starts growing back which can take a couple weeks to even start
Health related
Aug 29 2015
01:58:03 PM
So the vet trip went well.. He told us both our babies are healthy. And for Chip that it looks like it is healing up just fine. And thanks to you all that he said we are using the perfect stuff to help it heal. He said we are doing all the right things as for keeping the separate and what not.

He told us to keep using the spray 2 times a day and to keep the separate for a little longer but to make sure they get supervised play time together.

He did how ever say he finds it stranger.. but ok.. that the smaller of my two babies is the one attacking (dominating) the bigger one. Nothing to worry about he just said it was weird.

The only thing that worries me is he also said there is a chance that it might never grow hair back if it ends up being scar tissue.. Which I know was a possibility but just makes me sad.

But other than that all seems healthy and good.. Just on the mend now.

Thank you all of your help! I will keep up updated on how the healing processes fairs!
Health related
Aug 29 2015
05:11:34 PM
Tinkdarling13 Glider GliderMap Visit Tinkdarling13's Photo Album USA 70 Posts
I am having a very similar issue. I found a wound on my Anastasia that looked like a mating /domanence wound. Separated them while it healed . When I brought her back to the vet for a finial check , we found a wound on Natasha, on her tummy. While at the vet Natasha bit Anastasia, but it was when Anastasia went to get in the pouch Natasha was in. I am certain at that time she was upset /scared and would have bit whatever came to close to her. I separated them again till they both were totally healed. I put them back together , they seemed fine. A few weeks later , another would on Anastasia in about the same spot as the first wound. I have never heard them crab at each other , and hardly even bark. They have shown no signs of aggression towards each other. One has been barking the last two nights now that they are separated again. It breaks my heart to hear her. I have had them together with no issues for at least two years, and they are two girls about the same age. They have both been to the vet and had atibotics . I have been told my two different people that I will never be able to put them back together. I pray that is not the truth. Anyone have any ensite ? Or had something like this happen ? Please let me know.

Edited by - Tinkdarling13 on Aug 29 2015 05:13:56 PM
Health related
Aug 29 2015
07:37:24 PM
Fur regrowth can take some time, even up to a couple months just give it some time ;) My other girl had some facial bites, that has totally healed and all the fur came back. I was surprised that it grew back as well as it did thanks to that Vetericyn she suffered no serious scaring or long term fur loss. I put a pic of a before and after of her so you can see.... it might just take some time. I'm really glad your babies are doing better
Health related
Sep 05 2015
05:39:25 PM
So everything is going well. There is a small amount of hair starting to grow back. There still is a small area in the center that isn't but looks like a little scab there so nothing bad. All in all healing up nice.

I'm still keeping them separated. But I can tell they are starting to get annoyed by it because who ever is stuck out of the cage is starting to bark at night. Today I put them together during the day for a little to see how it would go and Aussie licked the spot for a little then I put my hand in their pouch to split them up but other then that the just cuddled and slept.

So with that.. I'm curious how much longer I should keep them separate? I'm afaird if I put them together unsupervised Aussie will just go at the bald spot. But I hate separating her from her sister.

Think I should just give it a go one night and see how it looks in the morning or wait till there is more hair?
Health related
Sep 05 2015
08:02:55 PM
I would wait until more fur has grown back. As it is now, the skin will still be very delicate and any grooming of the area can open it back up quickly. Then you'll have to separate them again, for even longer. I know they miss each other but this is truly one of those cases where you are better safe than sorry.

You can keep giving them supervised daytime snuggle time, but you'll have to keep intercepting any grooming. They will always want to groom any area that feels different or seems weird. That's normal behaviour, they won't realize they're making it worse.
Health related
Sep 13 2015
09:34:58 AM

She's healing up nicely. You think it's healed enough to put them back together or no?
Health related
Sep 13 2015
11:38:57 AM
oh wow it's looking great yes it's probably safe to put them back together but still monitor them once you do
Health related
Sep 13 2015
12:15:22 PM
Even though I can't see them AAAALLLL night? Lol just double check it in the morning?
Bald spot.
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bald spot.