GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fully bonded?
Fully bonded?
Question
Aug 28 2015
07:09:29 PM
Hello!

So I'm just curious. I was wondering how you know your gliders are fully bonded to you? Mine I know are not near it yet, but I was curious. People seem to talk about it in measures and I wanted to know the moment you knew they were bonded to you or the behavior they displayed when they were, if you would be so kind to share.
Question
Aug 29 2015
05:41:05 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I am not sure there is a real answer to your question, every glider having their own personality, and humans too; it's not even sure that everyone considere the same situation when they talk about "bonded", it's a matter of individual perception.
I considere my gliders are fully bonded when they climb on me as soon as I open the door, jump to me from everywhere during play time, run to me when something frighten them and so on.

Edited by - sjusovare on Aug 29 2015 05:45:35 AM
Information
Aug 29 2015
10:04:41 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Full Bonding has a different meaning for each owner based on their personal expectations.

I feel my gliders are fully bonded because they come to the cage door or the food plate when I call them and always come when I shake the treat jar. They like to climb on me and will jump or glide to me when they have the opportunity.

I do not take my gliders our in public and would not fully trust them to stay on me 100% of the time if they were not in a zippered bonding pouch.

I have some pretty determined explorers that I know would jump from me to just about anything that caught their interest. I have never tested them but I am sure a waving branch or interesting flower in the yard would be a great temptation.

I do not expect my gliders to stay on me but I am sure they are bonded with me because they do seem to enjoy interacting with me.

Question
Aug 29 2015
10:24:38 AM
soontobesugarmommy Joey Visit soontobesugarmommy's Photo Album NH, USA 34 Posts
I considered mine fully bonded when he allowed me to do things to him he NEVER would have in the beginning. I can hold him in my hands (tho he's not a huge fan of it) but he doesn't try to bite me, I'm not longer afraid he will bite me. I trust him and I feel that he trust me(I can flip him on his back to see his belly n he doesn't seem to care).
Question
Aug 29 2015
10:24:54 PM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
I think the bond varies on personality too. All of my gliders are bonded to me, except for one boy who is taking a while to warm up. But my bond looks different with almost every one of my gliders!

One of my boys will fall asleep in my hand and let me hold him with no problems, but he prefers to perch on my hand instead. Or snuggle in to the crook of my elbow. He's also a big groomer, and will absolutely soak my hand cleaning me :)

One of my girls will pass out in my hand, completely limp, and let me pet her everywhere without waking up. And when she does wake up, she'll just hug my thumb tighter, tuck her head down, and go back go sleep. She is my biggest bra baby, and I can trust her in my bra when I go errand running. I bring a bonding pouch just in case, but I've never had to use it. She will sleep through anything!

Another one of my girls will sleep in my hand, but she prefers to just sit in my hand (again, holding my thumb), and stare at me. And if she isn't too tired, she'll climb out of my hand, scoot down my shirt, and start grooming me.

Then I have a boy who, every time I open the cage, will try to leap out onto me, run up my arm and down my shirt...and refuse to leave. He doesn't really like to be held, he would rather sit in my shirt, peeping out at the collar.

For me, I think a glider is bonded when it comes to greet you when you walk by the cage or call for it, when it will fall asleep in your hand or shirt, when it jumps to you when it's spooked, and when it glides to you or perches on you when out of the cage.
Fully bonded?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fully bonded?