Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Shaking cold glider, possibly dehydrated
Health related
Oct 11 2015
01:47:00 PM
Hi, I have a 1-2 year old female ( adopted so not 100% on age )
She has been cold to the touch for the past day or so, and has the shakes. She is also pretty lethargic and moving slow but will perk up after a few minutes. She eats fine and is drinking the water I give to her via syringe. She's up during the day on and off too.

She currently lives with her sister and lately her sister has had some serious food aggression and I'm worried that maybe she has not been able to eat as much and just dehydrated since she's not refusing food and aside from some constipation, normal movements.
I'm worried about the shaking and coldness and not sure if that could be related to dehydration. Aside from looking like she has sleepy eyes(half lidded or squinting I guess) she has perky ears and her coat seems okay.

It's a holiday weekend and the only bet that will see her is closed till Tuesday and I hope someone here might be sble to give me an idea what might be wrong.

Sorry for any typos, I'm typing this from my phone.
Health related
Oct 11 2015
02:19:55 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
In order to see if she is dehydrated, you can do the tent test : pull the skin between the shoulder blades, if the skin goes back in place quickly, then she is not dehydrated.

Make sure to keep her fed and hydrated, what is the temperature in the room, she may be in hypothermia.

In any case, make sure to see a vet asap and to describe her symptoms, she might just be lacking nutrients (especially if her sister became food agressive), but there can be some other conditions (especially if she shows constipation).

Health related
Oct 11 2015
02:34:37 PM
Londonmoon Starting Member 4 Posts
Her skin stayed up a little bit, yes. They were in a room where at the coldest would have been about 60, but I don't think it got that cold.

The last time I talked to the vet, she said the constipation is fine as long as she can still go, and if struggling to give a little lactulose. So I don't think that's the cause.

I'm just a little baffled, because even though shes shaking, cold, possibly dehydrated, shes still active and willing to eat. She seems sick, but is not acting that way.

Is it possible with the aggression she could be dehydrated, shaky because of less food/water, and just out during the day because she spent the past couple nights basically forced away from half the cage?

I'm just worried because i keep coming across people saying when they get sick, without immediate vet care they will die and I have to wait till Tuesday.

So im looking for any way I can help her hang on till then or even imporve.
I heard that flavorless/unsweetened pedialite can help if they aren't severely dehydrated.
Health related
Oct 11 2015
02:44:08 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
It's rather that gliders hide their symptoms until they physically are not able to do so anymore, so when they appear sick, they already are since long and it's rather the last time to act.

If the other glider becomes agressive toward her, it might also be a sign that there is an illness, she may be awake during the day because her sister refuses to let her go in the pouch with her.

Are there no other vets around who can check her up before wenesday?
Health related
Oct 11 2015
02:47:32 PM
Not that I have found. They just became legal in Mass, I believe, about a little over a year or so. So There aren't many vets, that I have found, that take them around where I live.

There is an emergency animal hospital a little bit away, but I'm waiting for a response.

Oh yeah, it's just food aggression by the way. They still sleep together, groom each other. It's just at night when the food is in the cage she will chase her away.

Edited by - Londonmoon on Oct 11 2015 02:56:50 PM
Health related
Oct 11 2015
04:12:25 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Have you tried putting extra food dishes in different locations around the cage so they won't have to share one dish?
Health related
Oct 11 2015
09:21:25 PM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
I would try getting her into a vet ASAP. Even a regular, nonexotic vet can give her subq injections to get her hydration up. You should get a fecal test and urinalysis as well, to check for parasites or any UTI that might be making her feel under the weather.

What are you feeding them?

If you're concerned about food aggression, maybe try separating her into another cage until you can see the vet. Give her a big pouch with lots of fleece in it to snuggle with, and her own food dish. If she is very ill, her sister might try to "push" her from the colony, as they do in the wild when one is ill. If she's already weakened, having her food intake restricted by an aggressive glider is not going to help her. Keep pushing fluids, offer plain unflavoured pedialyte by syringe or eyedropper, handfeed her yogurt or avocado to keep her weight up, and handfeed dinner to get her to eat more.

You should also get her sister in to the vet as well, to make sure it is nothing contagious, especially if they haven't had fecal tests or wellness checks since you first got them.

Let us know how she does, we are rooting for her!
Health related
Oct 12 2015
02:22:46 PM
Well she was up most of the day, she pigged out on some meal worms and apple sauce mixed with some water. She stayed with me and I gave her the pedialyte/water mix whenever she would take it.

She seemed to perk up, and was playing with her sister all night. I moved the cage into my room, and they only fought once, since they seem to behave when people are in the room with them.

I usually put the food in two bowls, in different spots anyway, but the only other place was a landing near where the other food was placed, so her sister would climb down to crab at her. So I moved the landing to the other side of the cage. Seemed to work.

They eat the pet glider fresh diet? It's the one where you pre-make huge batches of food and add a vitamin mix to it every night.

She seems to be shaking alot less (aside form the the shaking they do when they wake up), though she is actually sleeping today, so I didn't get a prolonged look. Aside from when she first got up, her eyes were open and not half lidded like yesterday too. The only odd thing I have noticed today is extra peeing.

Th emergency vet got back to me, but they were wary of taking her, and since she seems to be much better I think she will be okay to wait to see her vet. But if she does start getting worse then the emergency vet it still an option (just got to get to tomorrow).

Also small (stupid) question, while she was out she got a hold of a french fry. Is that okay? Like not as a treat or anything, but as a once time, sugar glider found the holy grail of junk food and ran off with it kinda thing...... I swear my pets and kids conspire together....

Edited by - Londonmoon on Oct 12 2015 02:26:04 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders