Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Just when I thought things were getting better..
Health related
Oct 11 2015
07:39:59 PM
I honestly thought by getting Toby fixed things would have gotten better..but now the tip of gizmos genitalia has turned black. I am extremely nervous..I gave gizmo some of Toby's pain medicine that he received when he got fixed, to maybe relieve gizmo from some pain. He has a appointment with the vet tomorrow. I should have known, I was wondering why he was so fussy for the last 2 nights..I just thought he was claiming dominance with Toby & jax because they finally were okay to all be combined together.

I had read a story on here where someone had the same/similar problem & they just snipped the tip off (well a vet did of course) & then he went right back to having sex with his mate after he healed.

If anyone has any similar stories, or can reassure me that would be wonderful..I will post updates tomorrow when I take him.
Health related
Oct 11 2015
09:14:44 PM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
Oh no :( Sorry to hear about your little one. The black tissue indictes necrosis, which needs to be treated (removed) or else it will travel down the genitalia. As long as it doesn't reach the part where the forks combine you shouldn't have too much trouble with it. There is the risk that he (or a cage mate) chews off the dead tip. From what I have read, amputations of the tips generally are quick and easy for healing, as long as they are treated in time.

If you have an e-collar, I would suggest putting him in that and putting him in a hospital cage for the night. If you don't have one, you'll want to make one from a plastic yogurt lid or a plastic page cover... Search up the instructions. You'll want to put KY on his genitalia to keep it from getting irritated and drying out further, until you can get him in to the vet for the amputation and more meds.

I am so sorry you guys are having to go through this. Glad to hear he is getting the urgent treatment he needs. Please keep us posted!
Health related
Oct 11 2015
10:09:50 PM
Kaitlinxoo Joey VA, USA 25 Posts
Thank you so much for your response. I will most definitely keep updates. I have him in a hospital cage right beside his buddies (not within reach of course) the vet should call me the moment they get my message & they will tell me to come in & we will go from there.

Of course this took a turn & went out of control fast. As I said they had been fussy (I was thinking it was a dominance thing) I had plans to get the last two fixed one even being when I get paid Thursday but this happened so quickly I don't want to wait. I have so many other appointments tomorrow I hope nothing clashes, but at this point it is aching my heart hearing him make the sounds of being in pain.

I am eager to get him to the vet & have him feeling better asap.
Health related
Oct 12 2015
07:26:01 PM
Well, Gizmo is at home now.
He got fixed & the vet said it was pretty bad, he had chewed a lot of his genitalia off on one side. He's acting like he feels so much better, no more fussing. He's on pain medicine & a antibiotic. I hope he's out of pain now.
Health related
Oct 13 2015
09:59:13 AM
Glad to hear he's on the mend! I hope his recovery continues smoothly. He's lucky he has such an attentive glider mom :)
Health related
Oct 13 2015
02:44:42 PM
Thank you,
I just went to check on him a few mins ago because I was hearing the dreaded psst psst sounds once again...
It looks like he's chewed it again/even more. I am so lost. Why does he continue to do this? Today I am going back to the vet once again to have him fitted for an e collar. After this I don't know what to do I'm running out of options I was really hoping this would be a solution. Maybe once he has a e collar he won't pick at it anymore & he will leave it alone, I just hope it doesn't make more problems occur..
Health related
Oct 13 2015
03:01:00 PM
Oh no, poor little one. I'm so sorry to hear this update.

I would suggest you bundle him up in fleece, burrito-style and keep him on you, tucked Into your bra if you can, if you can't get an e-collar on him yet. If you can make one out of some foam tape, staples and a lid from a yogurt container in the meantime it would be the best. But don't Leave him unattended because now that he's going back at it he won't be easily distracted and if he's already lost a portion of his genitalia he can get into his cloaca/abdomen really quickly if you don't catch it in time.

Has your vet done testing on him, fecal tests (float/snap/smear) and urinalysis? If he has a UTI or some parasite or something similar it could be the root of why he is "self-medicating"

I'm on my phone so I can't link, but look up "the sweet spot" sugar glider forum, there are more experienced members there who have dealt with reoccurring selfmutilating issues and they will be able to provide more advice and things to ask your vet about when you take him back in.

Please let us know how it goes. I'll be keeping your little man in my thoughts!
Health related
Oct 13 2015
03:27:04 PM
I will be leaving in a few mins to go back to the vet. My vet did all of those things (fecal exams, urinalysis..etc) he said everything came back fine & he was healthy. & he also did a thorough exam while he was put under w/ anesthesia.

If this doesn't get solved I don't know what the next step would be.
Thank you for your support.
Health related
Oct 13 2015
06:51:53 PM
I got him home with the collar, I'm gonna have to re-arrange the hospital cage to make everything low & make him a bed he can crawl into. My vet informed me that I'm probably gonna have to hand feed him until he adjusts, or just continue to do it.

My vets plan is to just keep him from picking at his genitalia & it will heal with the antibiotics & pain killers on its own.

So far it's working & he can't pick at himself. He's just very unhappy that he can't run around like he pleases & do whatever he wants. I hope things get better. He's just gonna needs lots of extra lovins from mommy.
Health related
Oct 13 2015
10:46:19 PM
Poor little one. He's not going to like the e-collar but as long as he gets extra spoiling it's much better than the alternative!

If you use a liquidy staple like OHPW you can put it in the silo type feeders, I used those when I had an e-collared glider. He will be able to eat at one while wearing the collar.

You could probably make him a smoothie out of his fruits and veg and silo that as well.

Handfeeding is the ideal but it would be good for him to have some ways he can eat while you're sleeping.

I used a small Tupperware container, put on it's side, with lots of fleece blankets to snuggle in, since my girl didn't want to use any sort of pouch when she had her collar on. I also put the food/water silos close to the "bed" so she wouldn't have to travel far. If you have a glider treadmill, those work better than normal wheels for running.

Make sure your e-collar has foam tape around the neck of it so it won't cut into him. He will be miserable but he will get used to it.

If I think of anything else that might help I will let you know. We are rooting for you guys!
Health related
Oct 14 2015
08:16:27 AM
Thank you so much.
I feel so horrible watching him stumble around & falling around. I made a little tent with blankets & such that he can crawl into to sleep in. & I got a place mat that his food is on so he can crawl right up to the food, he seemed to be able to get to his water bottle on his own because I watched him before I went to sleep. His staple part of his recipe has a ice cream texture so I just hand fed him that myself. I wanted to see if he could get to his fruits & such himself.

I'm not sure how long I'm gonna have to leave this on him but if it helps then I'll have to get over it.
Health related
Oct 14 2015
05:19:26 PM
If you check out that sweet spot forum, there are members there that have had e-collars on their gliders for extended periods of time (think months, some over a year, etc). It's obviously not ideal but they will survive and eventually learn to navigate despite it. He will probably lose some fur around the collar/neck area if you have to have him in it for an extended period but beyond that it's not too bad. Definitely better to have an e-collar than repeated surgeries and mutilations!

He's lucky you're taking such good care of him and his needs. I know it's hard to watch him suffering but it's one of those necessary evils right now. In my experience having to tend to an injured glider creates a bond like none other..you both will be stronger coming out on the other side of this thing. Good luck to you both!
Health related
Oct 14 2015
11:34:58 PM
I can't thank you enough for your support,
I'll have to look into those forums you were talking about.
I have been doing my research & apparently there's a kind woman who created a e-jacket so you don't have to have the cone on..I emailed her just moments ago so I could find out more & potentially purchase one. It would put me at so much ease. That's another thing I'm worried about him losing fur...I really hope like you said it does make our bond stronger. I am always sure he has ate & drank water before I go to bed.

From what I can see he completely has his genitalia tucked away, before he always had the tip of it out so I'm hoping this is a good thing. I don't see any redness or irritation either. He has been taking his medicine so well & doesn't fight me like Toby did. Hopefully he will be a quick healer since he's not messing with himself now.

But I'm hoping I can find out more & perhaps purchase that e jacket thing!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders