Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding
Bonding
Question
Oct 12 2015
07:48:10 PM
Okay so I got a sugar glider and she's so adorable. She's very sweet and loves getting pat through the pouch. I've only had her for literally 24 hours and this is my first ownership of a sugar glider people say the bonding process can take anywhere from a week to a month. If I try to pet her she makes the crabbing noise, and very rarely lunges (only had happened about 2 times.) I have walked around with her in a pouch and she loves it. I'll start to massage her head and back and she completely just lets go and enjoys it and relaxes then I'll go to barely even touch her and her mouth will open and get ready to bite me. She's such a blessing and so sweet but I have no idea if this is normal for the first day or if I'm doing anything wrong. She was being so shy when I got home from school then after about 5 minutes of speaking to her kindly she started running around her cage and playing with her ball pit (cut up pieces of fleece and a couple glider safe toys). Then I open the cage and try to get my hands close to her and she makes the crabbing noise?? I don't know if this is normal but if you know then please help me out. I just want what's best for her and also comment some names below. I'm thinking sugar or i don't know. Thank y'all!
Question
Oct 12 2015
10:10:57 PM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
It sounds like you are rushing her a bit. For the first couple days she is going to be very scared as she still needs to get used to her new surroundings, let alone working on bonding! Give her some space, don't try to handle her, especially if she's crabbing an lunging and trying to bite. That is her way of saying she is scared; slow down and be patient. She will learn on time that you are safe; if you rush her it'll take longer.

Talk to her through the cage, offer treats through the bars, carry her in the bonding bag and pet the outside... You'll be fine, just let her settle in.
Question
Oct 13 2015
05:38:22 AM
mallory_em4 Glider Visit mallory_em4's Photo Album 88 Posts
Congratulations on your new suggie!

I have 4 gliders (two separate pairs) and you definitely want to give them space at first. I left mine alone for a week, I'd talk to them and put scented blankies in so they could get used to me (scent blankies are little fleece squares that you wear on yourself for a day or so and then put in with glider to get used to scent, as a girl putting them in bra is a good spot that you forget they are there. My fiancé put them on his waist band of his pants. You switch them out every day), but i did not hold them in that time. Bonding is something that takes patience and there is no time limit for it.. some bond quickly and others take more time. I have one that bonded in a month, one that likes me but not bonded that I've had for almost 2yrs, and my other pair i got in may of this year and they are hit and miss so I'd say not bonded and thats 5mo.

Also just wondering, did you get just one glider or do you have two? Gliders are colony animals that require company of their own kind, humans are nice but it isn't like the company and companionship they get with a friend of their own kind. Lone gliders often times will become very depressed and in turn more likely to have health issues. No matter the amount of human interaction it does not substitute another glider. I am not trying to sound mean, we are all here to help and learn from eachother.

This is a great place to come especially being a new glider parent. So many questions that come up with these little guys!
Question
Oct 13 2015
07:36:08 AM
Animallover7 Glider Visit Animallover7's Photo Album 62 Posts
Thank y'all so much!! This helped a lot. And I am going to get 2. I was originally get twins and the lady sold the other one :(
I took the other one bc it was so cheap for a baby and I thought we would be a perfect fit. I'm going to be looking at getting another one in maybe a week to make sure she doesn't get lonely or worse depressed. I'm waiting for a good deal, to come near me, I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting over my head with just one.
Question
Oct 14 2015
04:25:33 AM
mallory_em4 Glider Visit mallory_em4's Photo Album 88 Posts
Thats a bummer that the lady sold the other one. When you get the 2nd glider you will have to do a 30 day quarantine to make sure that both are healthy (you should have them vet checked in this time, especially geyting fecal exams to make sure they do not have any parasites. Durung this time they would need to be housed in separate cages - in separate rooms. There are a lot of different methods to introducing gliders, there is scent swapping which seems to be the most widely used. I don't have the information on me about all the methods but there is a spot in gliderpedia that discusses it along with many discussions topics. There is a lot that goes into introducing gliders so please please do your research. If the intro fails it can result in injury or death so it is very important to follow the guidelines that are outlined, and of course feel free to ask peoples thoughts. There are a lot of people on this site that have a tonnnn of experience combining gliders.

The reason i have 2 separate sets is because it is something i am going to have to live with cause i got a second set in hopes to combine and i have had about 6 failed intros between the four. Lone gliders fo tend yo be easier to introduce and in *some* cases the quarantine is something people over look just due to the fact that that is the least of their worries when you have lone gliders, so like i said.. do your research ask questions. People with more experience then myself can talk with you and help you figure out ehat would wotk best in your situation anf help you out with it. Best of luck!
Bonding

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding