Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
No travel cage!
No travel cage!
Heated Debates
Oct 12 2015
08:17:01 PM
I'm going to the mountains to my cabin on Friday and Saturday. One night. I don't have a travel cage and my sugar glider cage is too hard to move and doesn't fit in my sisters car. What could I keep them in? I refuse to leave them home as nobody would be able to take care of them and I'm obviously not leaving food in their cage. It'll get gross. Would they be able to stay in their bonding pouch Friday morning until Saturday night. I'll let them out to play in their hamster balls and run around the cabin with me. If there are any good travel cages for $20 at Walmart let me know. Walmart is the only place close and I have a pretty busy week so I can't drive far to go to other stores.

I just turned 16 and do not have a license so I couldn't drive anywhere far anyways.

I have two male sugar gliders. Apollo is around one years old. Jupiter is around four years old.
Heated Debates
Oct 12 2015
10:07:23 PM
GLIDEIT Super Glider Visit GLIDEIT's Photo Album Canada 330 Posts
I wouldn't leave them in the bonding bag overnight; it will stress them out to be confined. Not to mention no way to offer water or food without it getting messy and spilling.

If it's just for one night, I would personally just leave them at home. Offer extra pellets and dried fruits for snacks, two water sources, vegetables and fruits that keep well (grapes, baby carrots, grape tomato, leafy greens, blueberries, cranberries, slice of orange, string beans.. If you provide multiple dishes (staple in one, fruits and veg in another) they won't get as gross. I think this would be preferable to keeping them in a bonding bag.

As for Walmart, I believe they sell pop up dog kennels that are mesh, and can contain your gliders overnight. If you get the largest size available, it will be enough room for an overnight trip. If you can find one of these, it will work well as a travel cage.
Heated Debates
Oct 13 2015
12:40:44 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
The pop up kennels from Walmart are used by several members of these forums for vacation homes. They are more than 20$ I believe, but not super pricey.

Here is a good thread on the topic. There are photos and reviews on the use of a particular pop up kennel from Walmart. I believe there is a link to the website as well. Please read, as it may help you.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1389431/Suggestions_for_a_travel_cage_#Post1389431

As for the actual travel time. I don't recommend keeping them in their bonding pouch till too late in the evening. If they go into the pouch around the time they would go to bed for the day and get them in their set up prior to dinner time or a little before they wake up at the latest. Have some fruit handy that you can feed them in case they need a snack, the moisture from fruit would be good.

Edited by - TJones09 on Oct 13 2015 12:43:13 PM
No travel cage!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
No travel cage!