GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nails
Nails
Question
Nov 02 2015
08:00:13 PM
Hello.
I have gotten 3 sugar gliders, 2 neutered males and one female.
Their previous owner I do not believe was very informed about glider care. She kept them in a closet for about a year. They are going to have a more difficult time bonding, a challenge I am most willing to face.
The thing is that their nails are long and sharp. From pictures I have studied, along with previous research, I am pretty certain that their nails need to be cut. Sadly, it is really obvious.
That said, I am unsure of how to do this. I know how to cut their nails, but it seems that you need a bonded glider to do this well.
Any advice?
Truly I am worried that they will get stuck, and I have heard that they will chew their toe off if they feel that it needs to be done. Should I still get fleece, as I am worried that it is is something they will easily get stuck in.
Thank you for reading.

Question
Nov 02 2015
08:05:02 PM
sugargliderisatasteymeal Glider Visit sugargliderisatasteymeal's Photo Album 87 Posts
never owned a glider, but had a super vicious cat once, the only way we could cut her nails was to put her in a pillow case and take one paw out at a time, perhaps you could get one paw out of the bonding pouch?
Question
Nov 04 2015
12:18:13 PM
Bobita Starting Member 4 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but I think I could easily dislocate a limb. I'm thinking about getting a stealth wheel insert- somethings like a sandpaper insert. Is there anything dangerous about doing it or would that go over okay?
Information
Nov 04 2015
01:55:25 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The sand paper inserts are only partially effective at keeping the tips of the nails blunt. You will most likely need to trim them once in a while anyway.

If you have not taken your glider for a well check up with a glider experienced vet - that is recommended for any glider new to your home to make sure the glider is healthy. The vet will also do fecal testing to make sure there are no parasite issues that need to be treated. You can also have the vet cut the nails for you the first time and show you how to do it.

After the nails are cut, the sandpaper inserts may extend the time between trims.

Once your glider is used to your hands and being handled, nail trimming will get much easier.
Nails

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nails