Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
introducing male and female gliders
Information
Nov 03 2015
08:40:41 PM
I have a female over a year old named Katniss. I got her a buddy named Fievel who is about 8 months now. I've had him for two months. I was just wondering about introducing them inside his cage. They have been in two cages next to each other for about 2 months. They crabbed a couple times the first couple days and that was it. Now he is actually breaking out to get to her. He bent the bar's on his cage and got out twice. I had to get a tougher cage lol. Katniss has crawled on the outside of his cage and they sniffed and touched on each other. She stuck his tail in her mouth a couple times so I pulled her away out of my own anxiety. She didn't hurt him tho and they seemed bummed. Now they seem to have this Romeo and Juliet thing going on where they reach out of the cages at each other. She rubs all over anything he's touched I put in her cage. Like he smells sooo good or something. It's my first time introducing tho so I'm nervous and don't want to do anything wrong. I know neutral ground is best but he scares me with his escape antics that when I bring him out it's not for too long. He loves his wheels and toys so he gets exercise in his cage. Katniss is lazy and bonded to me so I have to exercise her out. So I'm used to her. Slow and a pouch potato lol she is content watching tv and snacking on my chest. He wants to run wild. So what are every ones opinions on introducing them in his cage? He just got put in it yesterday and all he wants is to get to her.
Information
Nov 03 2015
09:56:24 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

First - is your male neutered? If not, do you have lineage (family tree) for both gliders to ensure that they are not related?

If you put an intact male with your female they WILL breed. If they are related the joeys may have health issues due to inbreeding.

Before you jump into breeding - you may want to read the information on this web page to make sure you are prepared for raising joeys. Rejected joeys are a 24/7 job - round the clock feeding for about 6 to 8 weeks. Be sure you are prepared before going through with the introductions. Read the sections on breeding and care of rejected joeys.

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/educationalarticles.htm

If he is neutered they can be introduced to each other when ever you feel they are ready. It is best to do the introductions during the day time when they are sleepy in a neutral location. Closing off a small bathroom will keep them both in reach.

If they get along, which I expect they will, and go into a clean sleeping pouch together, you can put them in the cage to sleep for the day.

It is best to do a thorough cleaning of the cage they are going to share so it is also neutral when they wake up and not either glider's Territory.
Information
Nov 04 2015
09:50:31 AM
MissKitty6988 Starting Member 6 Posts
Thank you so much for the information. Exactly what I was asking for.
Information
Nov 04 2015
10:05:22 AM
And also is there any way to find out if they are related? Via blood test or anything? I wasn't thinking about breeding really But it's an option. But they could be related. I got them from the same area different people. No clue about Katniss because I basically rescued her from a poor environment. She just needed out of there. Fievel was bred by accident because the owner thought the glider she got was fixed. Therefore I wasn't going to breed them. Maybe down the road get one FOR breeding with one of them. But don't want them lonely :/ so I may have to fix Fievel first. My poor Katniss was in a cage for a hamster with just a stick. She was curled up in a ball on the floor to stay warm. So she's a spoiled princess now. But I have no clue about her past because of the quickness in getting her from the owner. But if there is a DNA test I could get I'm more than willing lol
Information
Nov 04 2015
12:22:05 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
DNA test would be quite efficient (that's what zoos do here, mainly for birds when the records are lost or...), unfortunately, there are no standart research sequencing for most of animals, which would make such testing really costly, and I'm not sure any lab (aside from university research) would be interrested in recalibrating all their material for one test (well technically, 2)

Edited by - sjusovare on Nov 04 2015 12:22:39 PM
Information
Nov 04 2015
01:49:10 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I agree, I do not think there is enough information on glider genetics to be able to do DNA testing to see if the gliders are related - and testing both gliders even if possible would probably be more expensive than neutering the male.

If you are not planning on breeding - neutering him before introducing the two is definitely the way to go. Even if they are only together for a short time - you could have joeys on the way pretty quickly.
Information
Nov 04 2015
02:07:14 PM
Yea I just spoke to the vet on the phone and you are correct no test just yet. So that's gonna have to be my way to go.
Information
Nov 04 2015
02:08:33 PM
Even if they wernt related and I knew for a fact it's probably gonna be my route cuz I'm not ready for jpegs and won't be for a little. And they need companions.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders