Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sleeps ALL THE TIME
Sleeps ALL THE TIME
Question
Nov 04 2015
10:41:36 PM
My sugar baby is sleeping ALL THE TIME! She sleeps all day and even all night. When I go to feed her she might take 2 bites and be done. Like she will literally pass out in her food bowl!!!! She is 4 months old and i've had her about 2 months. I've tried giving her a variety of food but that hasn't helped. My other glider is 7 months and I feed them the same food and she eats just fine so I know it's not the food.

Okay so here is just a little background about what I originally thought the problem was..... My original problem was that my gliders got on a wacky sleep schedule. They were sleeping at night then playing during the day. I live in South Carolina and we got some really bad flooding.... so because of that there was no natural light in my apartment for them to know when it was day time and night time. After that, my 4 month glider started getting picky about her food and would only eat the apple and ignore the staple. My 7 mo. glider ate everything so I knew it wasn't bad food. I tried different fruits and the young one took to some of them. Now that the flooding has pasted and we get sunshine my older glider is back on a normal nocturnal sleep schedule BUT the younger one has stopped eating and only sleeps!

Any advice would help a lot! I just don't know what to do :(
Information
Nov 05 2015
12:48:13 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Gliders definitely need light in the room during the day time and darkness after sundown to help regulate their sleep cycle.

If the lights are on in the room she may stay in her sleeping pouch until they are turned off in the evening. You may need to turn off the lights in the room where the cage is located earlier in the evening.

If you are concerned, a trip to the vet for a check up is a good idea to rule out health issues.

Are you feeding a wide variety of fruits and vegetables? Which staple are you offering each evening.

Question
Nov 05 2015
06:00:44 AM
Hwalkup Joey 20 Posts
I alternate between different fruits each night and the staple I give them is very similar to the BML.... the lady I got my older glider from gave me the recipe which includes everything they need.

The young one has never had a problem eating the food before. My older one is completely back to normal but for the younger one she NEVER wakes up to play.. I have to feed her separately and have to hand feed her and even then shell just fall asleep in the food and doesn't want to eat it.

I took them to the vet before all this and they said they were super healthy. I'm not worried about my older one's health.... but Im not sure what to do for the baby to get her to eat something.
Question
Nov 05 2015
01:24:02 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
I alternate between different fruits each night and the staple I give them is very similar to the BML....

She needs vegetables in addition to fruits.

"similar" to BML does not mean it is a well balanced diet. Altering any of the ingredients or the amounts of the ingredients changes the entire balance of the staple recipe.

The feeding plan for BML allows only a limited choice of fruits and requires frozen mixed vegetables each night to provide enough phosphorus to balance the amount of calcium supplement in the recipe. If you are not feeding vegetables, the overall feeding is not balanced because the nutrients in the vegetables are necessary.

Without more specific information on the staple you are offering, I cannot make any recommendations on the fruits and vegetables to offer.

That said - any staple, no matter how well balanced - does no good if the glider does not eat it. I would first have the glider re-checked by the vet and if no problems are found - the I would consider choosing another feeding plan that the glider WILL eat.

Sleeps ALL THE TIME

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sleeps ALL THE TIME