Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Will the new sugar glider change my relationship with my old one?
Question
Nov 11 2015
03:44:39 PM
Hey everyone! So, I'm kind of new here, but I need some good advice and honest input from people who know and love their sugar gliders and maybe have "been there."

I have a sweet little glider boy, he is just shy of six months and not yet altered. We seem to get on just fine with just the two of us, though I know that they do best with companionship, so though he seems perfectly happy, I have been searching for a companion for him anyway. I ended up falling in LOVE with this sweet, petite little girl suggie. He seemed to like her scent, and I thought that once he was neutered, they could be a great match. The thing is, she is quite expensive and will take a while to save up for. In the mean time, we were presented with a glider boy who needed a home. I was feeling a little hesitant, but thought maybe it was worth a shot. This one is another male, similar in age, though larger and braver than mine. He tends to lean toward human companionship and has been raised without another glider for companionship. As it was explained to me, he was rejected at a very young age and raised by humans, so never bonded with another glider. He isn't as cuddly, dislikes bonding pouches, and prefers to just jump around and occasionally land on you.

I love the life I have with my little sugar boy and we are starting to bond quite closely. We are still working on it, but I can tell it will be good; it already is a good portion of the way there. The new glider is not cuddly, he is rather indifferent to me and kind of wild.

Here is the thing, and I feel silly saying it....

1. Will this new glider change the bond that I have with my old glider?

2. Would it make a difference in his personality, depending on which one we choose for him to live with (the crazy boy or the sweet girl?

3. Would all three be okay (once boys are neutered)?

4. Once they are bonded, will it still be possible to just take one with me if I am going out for a while? Sometimes taking all of them together wouldn't be an issue, but at times, I would want to bring one solo, so long as he would still find this enjoyable and not stressful.

I am not considering *not* getting him a companion-he will have a companion no matter what, because I know that they need that. But I *do* want to get the right one for both of us, and I do want to be mentally and emotionally prepared for how this will change my relationship with him, if that makes sense. Any input, advice, guidance etc. that you can give me would be so appreciated! Thank you for reading all of this!! >_<

Edited by - MotherTree on Nov 11 2015 03:45:46 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders