Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Joeys and Older Siblings?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 25 2015
09:18:58 PM
My boyfriend and I adopted a family of sugar gliders: Steve, Emma, and their daughters.

They're a very close knit family. The woman we got them from wasn't exactly a wealth of information - she took them from some relatives who could no longer care for them to try to re-home. They sounded over their heads as they didn't sound to be taking very good care of them. We felt we were ready enough to rescue them. So, we did.

And we kept Steve in with his family for a short while, as we didn't want to overly stress them, and we figured the stress of moving would have prevented any funny business. And we neutered Steve as soon as we were able. We thought all was ok.

Well, Steve got the last laugh. Emma is pregnant with 2 little joeys again. The vet didn't want to mess with her too much as she became very agitated when he tried to take her off of me, but he let her sit and examined as well as he could, and he's "very sure" she's pregnant, especially with what I told him about her behavior recently.

This wasn't expected.

Overall I'm not too stressed about it - although I am very anxious. I really just hope they're both girls!

Anyway, I know we need to prevent the joeys from breeding once they reach sexual maturity if one or both of them are boys. And I know that if there are unrelated sugar gliders, that may cause issues having joeys. But I'm wondering if there is any harm in just leaving Steve, Emma, and the joeys in their cage, although baby-proofed, as they're all very close family? Do sibling gliders really help with the joeys? This is really our only question at this point.

Thanks!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 25 2015
11:31:49 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Yes he older joys will help with the new babies by baby sitting while mom gets some exercise each night and has time to eat.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders