Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I'm only buying one sugar glider?
Question
Dec 30 2015
11:00:34 AM
I just want to know if this is dangerous, and if its a bad idea to only get one. I have heard a lot of stories that they will kill themselves if they are alone. Please help..I really want one but can only afford one!
Question
Dec 30 2015
12:05:44 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello!
Welcome to the forum.
Here's my opinion:
You're better off and the gliders are better off if you adopt two. Yes, gliders do get lonely if they have no other gliders to play with and no amount of human interaction can take the place of another glider to snuggle with, another glider who grooms you, and another glider to play with.
Plus, adopting a second glider after you've already had one can be very expensive since you'll need an additional cage and cage supplies for the 30 day quarantine.
And, finally, if it's difficult to afford more than one right now simply owning a glider might be out of your price range right now. Vet visits, food, pouches, toys, and a wheel all adds up.
Now, that's only my opinion of course! I'm sure you'll make an informed decision. I wish you the best of luck!
Question
Dec 30 2015
12:08:18 PM
Cheechsmomma Joey Visit Cheechsmomma's Photo Album 32 Posts
Hi.. I have only one Glider and he seems perfectly fine.. I have him with me all day long while he sleeps and then he plays at night in his cage.. I make sure to have enough toys to keep him busy and he seems perfectly happy.. As long as you spend time with your Glider I think he or she will be okay.. Granted I'm not a suggie expert but that's my experience with mine.. I feel we have a great bond and he doesn't seem depressed or like he's gonna "kill" himself like everyone says (: good luck with your baby!
Question
Dec 30 2015
12:28:07 PM
kodalivefreeandglide Starting Member 3 Posts
Thank you for your input!

Cheechsmomma, you said you have him with you all day long while he sleeps. I work 8-4:30, do you think that would be an issue? it shouldnt be as long as i come home and take him out of the cage right?
Question
Dec 30 2015
12:44:02 PM
I'm not sure about that actually.. Lol I stay home all day so I just keep him in his pouch under my shirt all day long while he sleeps.. If it was me I would totally take him to work with me.. Cheech doesn't come outta his pouch during the day unless I wake him up for snacks so it would be doable for me.. I don't know your work or anything but I would consider taking yours with you if possible just so he gets lots of bonding time with you.. Like I said I'm no suggie expert but it's working for me! Lol.

When I got cheech I could only afford one.. And still cant afford to get another..so I know your position. Lol and At this point I don't think I am going to get another unless I see him acting differently.

Edited by - Cheechsmomma on Dec 30 2015 12:46:04 PM
Question
Dec 30 2015
12:47:36 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
Hello!

I have a single glider currently and she is perfectly fine. I have classes pretty much all day from 9-4 and sometimes volleyball afterwards. I get home and put my baby in my shirt, give her a treat or so, and do homework while she sleeps. Then at night, I put her away, shower, then on the nights I have time, I do a bathroom bonding session.

She is happy and healthy in my opinion, but I believe that every glider should have a friend to play with at night, to groom, to share their food with, snuggle with in his/her pouch, and jump on their wheel.

I was in your position as well, I could only afford one. The cage was almost as expensive as getting another! I am currently saving because another glider would make my baby more happy and healthy.

In the future, I would invest in another friend for her. Start saving now!

Edited by - kiwi3435 on Dec 30 2015 12:50:37 PM
Question
Dec 30 2015
12:50:11 PM
Kiwi3435 how long have you had her? I'm just curious because I've had cheech only for a month.. I'm glad to hear yours is happy as well..
Question
Dec 30 2015
12:57:43 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
I've had her for about 3 1/2 months :)
Question
Dec 30 2015
01:12:11 PM
kodalivefreeandglide Starting Member 3 Posts
Oh that is awesome! thank you so much for your answers.

kiwi3435..you mentioned bathroom bonding session what exactly is that?
Question
Dec 30 2015
01:27:21 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hey guys!
I'm glad you're having good experiences with your furbabies!
Oh boy...but I'm gonna be a bit of a pill here...
I had a single glider at first as well. After having her for about five months she started to over groom her tail. She would just sit still when I would take her out to play. She had a good amount of toys, sure, but her cage was definitely too small (just to be completely honest).
And also...When I got Luna and she wasn't accepted into my quad, she, too overgroomed her tail until I got her Fionn (they live separately from the quad...another hazard of adopting a second glider later on is that they may not accept each other).
Not to be a nudge, but since you've both owned your gliders for short times I thought to mention the time frame. I'm very much hoping you don't have to go through the worry I went through while trying to adopt a family for my single glider.
Apologies for my nudge-ness! Just hoping the best for you all.
Cheers!
Question
Dec 30 2015
01:55:05 PM
It's nearly impossible for me to get another glider.. There is nobody in Oklahoma that will keep in contact with me long enough to get one.. The lady I got mine from won't sell me another for some reason. I would love to have another one but I'm not gonna worry myself about it until I see him needing a buddy in his cage.. I feel its more stress trying to find one then it is worth.. I don't have the means to travel to get one either due to having a crappy car.. I know I haven't had him long but I'm going to keep hoping he'll be fine without a buddy. Thanks for your input though..

Bathroom bonding is basically shutting you and your Glider in the bathroom for bonding.. You let your suggie roam and crawl on you and explore everything.. Gives them time outta the cage. You can also get a tent for bonding time as well.. I prefer the tent because my bathroom I feel isn't safe. Hahah
Question
Dec 30 2015
03:08:22 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Good things come to those who wait. There are far more stories of allowing impulses to take over and get a glider and an owner into a bad situation instead of allowing the time to plan, save money, acquire more knowledge and put together a complete habitat before bringing the gliders home.

Hoping that all goes well with the knowledge that the majority of these types of scenarios do not end all that well isn't a very sound decision making process.

In the member above's situation they are able to be with the glider practically 24/7. Even then...there have been plenty of folks who have found that in time...it just begins unraveling. Because you work you have a completely different situation to consider.

If you haven't done quite enough 'home work' to know what bathroom/out of cage time is...I would say that you really should take a step back from the emotional feeling of wanting to jump in before you're ready. The gliderpedia above has a wealth of information and the search bar will help you find threads on topics from others who have had the same types of questions you may have.

There are SO many helpful people here who are absolutely happy to be here to answer your questions and advise in any way they can.

I too, do not wish to squash your dreams or hurt your feelings...FAR from it. I would rather see you succeed and have much joy from the experience.
Question
Dec 30 2015
03:13:45 PM
When I got cheech I did tons of research and saved my money.. I decided I wanted to take the risk of only have one for a while.. He was in no way an impulse buy.. I did tons and tons of homework before getting him and don't regret my decision in any way.. However I do agree with blue nostalgic about not knowing what bathroom time is.. Definitely do lots of research.. I researched for well over a year before making my decision.. I do believe though all situations are different and I believe you can make it work.. I'm an optimist(:
Question
Dec 30 2015
06:13:16 PM
codz Starting Member codz's Journal 8 Posts
I hate to be THAT person but if you can only afford one, ignoring whether that's good or not, please make sure you can actually afford one! I recommend looking into diets to see which one you'd like to go with and get an idea what that might cost you each month (this might change depending on how they take to it). Get estimates for vet care in your area for sugar gliders, including neutering if you think you might get an in tact male, trimming if you're uncomfortable doing that the first few times whole you're working on bonding, etc. Certainly make sure you'll have money for cage accessories and toys - especially if it will be alone. And consider if you feel comfortable being able to continue to provide for its needs.

But I do wish you the best!! :) :)
Question
Dec 31 2015
08:33:44 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
This thread is a prime example of, the answer will differ depending who you ask, many glider related questions are this way. Which doesn't really help with decision making or clarifying confusion. But it is what it is.

Personally I feel it depends on the glider. Some gliders do well on there own and others do not. As the caretaker it is your responsibility to learn your gliders behaviors, then you can see what the glider is telling you his or her needs are.

Codz post is sort of standard response many in the community would say. And there is some validity in that advice. It is a costly venture when first starting out even for one glider maybe especially for one glider because they do need a stimulating environment meaning a good wheel and plenty of toys to occupy them because they are alone while you are sleeping.

Does that make it wrong to start out with one? Lol depends who you ask, would it make you a bad owner? Not in my opinion. Many of us started out with one. Hell I started out with one because we couldn't afford a second right at that time. We could however afford the food cage and accessories n vet care. Then a few months later we adopted a second feom a local rescue.

Now here is something no one else has mentioned you dont HAVE to buy an expensive glider from a breeder, There are other ways cheaper ways to get a Pair of gliders and other single gliders.

There are legitimate glider rescues, Craig's list and other similar sites and rehome groups on Facebook. I have access to many rehome gliders and even have gliders surrendered to me (free) on a regular basis then I find them a good home. Just yesterday I had two neutered males surrendered that need a new home here in fla that are literally 10 minutes away from me.

Seriously there is no shortage of gliders in need of a good home that are affordable and yes sometimes free. If the person can provide vet care food and a decent cage and environment And I feel its a good home I have no issues giving them the surrenders at no charge.

For those of you with one glider already I do urge you to use some of these recourse if you are looking for cagemates. Join some groups on Facebook The Sugar Glider Guardians group is probably the largest nation wide rehome group there is.

As mentioned above there is no guarantee that your glider will get along with a new glider so if you do go that route be prepared to have two cages two sets of accessories if they dont get along you end up with two single gliders. This is mainly the reason I think its suggested to start out with an already bonded pair. Its a lot less stressful on a new owner who is inexperienced in glider introductions.

In my experience with new owners if they have a bad first experience they are likely to feel overwhelmed and rehome the gliders fairly quickly. This is what we dont want to see. We want new owners to have a great experience and to keep their gliders for the duration of the gliders life.

So if I have one piece of advice to give the owners on this thread it would be this. Go-to Guardians and request a mentor. I wish I had had the benefit of a mentor when I started out instead of muddling through all the conflicting and confusing information on my own. This is also an educational group loaded with resources and a great place to ask questions

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sugargliderguardians/

Edited by - Leela on Dec 31 2015 08:38:23 AM
Question
Dec 31 2015
09:50:53 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Short answer,
IF possible I would want to do what is best for the little guys.
My wife came home with ONE glider, after learning they are pack animals, we connected the seller and bought gizmos cage mate the next week.
IF you can't afford more then one, then there is LOTS of information
about what you MUST do to keep the little guy happy.
And If YOU don't do it, you should know the results.
Question
Feb 20 2019
10:58:07 AM
Ultimate Glider Starting Member 1 Posts
Hello,I have a Male sugar glider named "Gizmo" that just turned 1 year old. He is my only sugar glider and always has been. Even though he is alone I always play with him at night, let him run, jump, climb, glide all around my home and room for around 1-2 hrs each night. He has 4 different style hammock beds to choose from...tons of blankets, tons of different toys to play with. He also has a very large cage with 2 wheels in it... one wodent and one stealth wheel(which he absolutely loves playing on). My girlfriend and I both play with him quite a lot and he's very loving and friendly. So far there's no evidence of overgrooming or self mutilation. He has a beautiful coat and eats regularly. I've debated on getting him a friend just because, but I don't feel he's really all that lonely. You can tell by looking at him that he's happy most of the time. He's very affectionate and tries grooming and licking my fingers when I pet him in his tent or big hammock. Only thing he really hates is getting his nails trimmed. I do worry if I did get a roommate for him that he may get annoyed someone else is in his living space or using his wheel.. maybe even jealous. Right now everything is going great, but I may still get another glider in the future.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders