Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Not Running On Wheel As Much?
Question
Feb 09 2016
11:16:48 AM
I have 2 sugar gliders. My newest addition being Ava, my 10 month female who I have had for almost 3 months now. Kitty who is my bonded male (I've had him the longest), is almost a year old. I've had them housed together for about 2 months now. They get along perfectly and are pretty much inseparable. My problem is that after I got Ava, I noticed Kitty's activity on the wheel has decreased dramatically. He used to be very active on his wheel at night, now not so much. With Ava being the more dominate one and Kitty being submissive, I see Ava hogging the wheel more often. At times I see Kitty getting on the wheel but he doesn't "sprint" like he used to, nor does he stay on longer than 5 minutes. Most of the time Kitty is napping or just hanging out, but he's not out as much as he used to be. He doesn't seem interested in sharing the wheel with Ava since she runs like crazy (a little too crazy for him). So I purchased a second wheel in hopes that Kitty would start running more having a separate wheel, but nothing has changed. Instead, Ava switches from one wheel to another, literally runs on one wheel like crazy for a little and jumps over to the other wheel running. I rarely see Kitty running and it's frustrating. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I was thinking of cleaning the wheel, separating the gliders into separate cages and putting one wheel in each cage so maybe Kitty will mark his scent on the wheel and be more inclined to running on it? So that maybe when I put them back into the same cage, they will each have a wheel with their own scent and run on their own wheels. The only downside, I'm worried if I separate them that they will become depressed especially since they always want to be with each other. Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this with their pair? I apologize for the long post. I appreciate any feedback.

I have 2 stealth wheels.

On a side note: Kitty had a prior pulled muscle minor injury to his shoulder a little over a month ago. He was treated for it. No broken bones and healed fine, but I have noticed he doesn't glider or jump distances like he used to. He is a little slower though after he incident. I'm not sure if this could also be the reason for his decrease in activity. Or maybe since I recently got him neutered 3 months ago? His energy levels have stabilized so he's less hyper? Any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by - claire1216 on Feb 09 2016 11:32:18 AM
Question
Feb 09 2016
05:53:50 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
I would give him a bit more time to adjust to all the current changes. Being neutered, new cage mate, and healing from his muscle joint. He may just be not as interested in the wheel since you have had Ava. He is probably just finding other things to do. Just keep an eye on him and if it continues, a vet check should be considered
Question
Feb 10 2016
10:17:12 PM
claire1216 Joey Visit claire1216's Photo Album 25 Posts
I was hoping since its been over 2 months already that he would be over it and healed already.... But maybe also I should consider that since he has a cage mate now, the wheel isn't that big of a deal to him? I'll keep watching him and see. Maybe give it another month or two.... Thanks for the reply
Question
Feb 14 2016
01:45:40 AM
Kinsey.ash Joey Visit Kinsey.ash's Photo Album Kinsey.ash's Journal 44 Posts
My glider never runs on her wheel either! I'm thinking maybe its just the wheel I have right now, so I am planning to get her a new one. But maybe some gliders just don't like wheels
Question
Feb 14 2016
09:10:24 AM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
Kinsey is your wheel a stealth wheel or a wondent one?
Question
Feb 14 2016
05:41:49 PM
The wheel I have is just a wheel the pet store I got my first glider at (I know now that I shouldn't have got a pet store glider) and it has a middle axle thing which I just found out is really bad so I'm going to take the wheel out today!
Question
Feb 14 2016
09:25:53 PM
Sounds good! I highly suggest a custom choice cruiser or a stealth wheel. Don't buy a wheel off of a store like amazon because they are most likely knock-offs
Question
Feb 15 2016
11:52:40 PM
Ok thanks! I will do!
Question
Feb 16 2016
08:22:16 AM
claire1216 Joey Visit claire1216's Photo Album 25 Posts
Anyone have an idea for how long a pulled muscle might take to fully heal for a sugar glider? I know for some severe case for people, it can sometimes take up to 3 months.....

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders