Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Food/Diet Advice
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2016
04:25:36 PM
My sister and I bought our two sugar gliders from a couple, and they provided us with everything we needed for the gliders, including their food. The food was pellet food, but I don't know what brand they were using. I wasn't comfortable with using pellets because of all the negative things I've heard about feeding gliders pellet food. But my sister and I decided that we would use what was left of the pellets, which lasted us about two weeks, then we would start giving them a better diet (BML Diet). Well, the two weeks are up now, and here I am, prepared to go to the store to get everything we need for the diet, then my sister says that she doesn't want to pay all that money to get all the ingredients for the diet.
So now she's online trying to find a diet that's already made, so we won't have to keep going out to spend money on our own homemade diet. But of course, all she can find are pellet foods. Well, she's found a pellet diet called Glide-R-Chow, and the website she found it on is claiming that this "diet" is safe for gliders and covers all their nutritional needs. But how do I know if that's true?
Is Glide-R-Chow safe? If not, is there any food I can buy that will be safe for my gliders, or will I have to try convincing my sister to go with making our own diet?
Thanks in advance.
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2016
05:17:43 PM
Gayle Glider Visit Gayle's Photo Album Gayle's Journal USA 90 Posts
Go to exoticnutrition.com They sell tons of glider things including food that is premixed. Its the HPW diet.
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2016
08:00:57 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
welcome to the forum!

unfortunately "glider-chow" is not any different than another brand of pellets. the website that this is sold on is never to be trusted as all of the information they are giving out is incorrect.

a nectar like staple diet is a MUST. one of the cheaper diet options would be LGRS Suggie soup, or Gliderkids. try searching one of these up and see which one is better for you:)

if you choose to feed LGRS then on the side you also offer a protein source (boiled chicken, egg, or turkey) as well as 1 tablespoon fruit and another of veggies. if you feed Gliderkids, then you only need to offer fruits and veggies on the side because the protein is already in the nectar,

I would not feed my gliders any sort of instant mixes (sold on exotic nutrition) because they contain dried raw eggs and dried honey. personally, I would never feed this. if it works best for you, then go for it:)

any more questions? :)
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2016
09:43:18 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
Well, the two weeks are up now, and here I am, prepared to go to the store to get everything we need for the diet, then my sister says that she doesn't want to pay all that money to get all the ingredients for the diet.

Gliders are NOT inexpensive pets - their diet will be an ongoing cost for their entire lifetime.

The cost of the staple BML or any other is not that much after you buy the initial ingredients and supplements. The supplements last a very long time.

The GREATEST expense of feeding your gliders is the fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables that need to be fed with any staple recipe you choose.

The fruits and vegetables also need to be fed with any "pre-made" diet but the pre-made food will probably cost you more that making your own staple following one of the recognized recipes. Pellets will not keep your gliders healthy for long - I guess a poor diet that shortens your gliders life span would be a long term cost reduction - but not the choice most of us would want to make.
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2016
09:50:20 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
My gliders didn't like any of the food or treats that I bought from Exotic Nutrition. I wasted a lot of money on treats! E N does have good cages, though.
Food, Diet
Apr 03 2016
02:11:17 PM
Cottonflower2 Joey 21 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by kiwi3435

I would not feed my gliders any sort of instant mixes (sold on exotic nutrition) because they contain dried raw eggs and dried honey. personally, I would never feed this. if it works best for you, then go for it:)

any more questions? :)

Thank you for the info and suggestions. I will research the diets you suggested, but I do have a question. What do you feed your own gliders?
Food, Diet
Apr 03 2016
03:31:22 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
I personally feed Gliderkids, the reduced honey version. if you search it up, a green ish website should come up and the recipes are on the side tabs. :)
Food, Diet
Apr 04 2016
12:21:43 AM
Here is my web page for the GliderKids Feeding plan

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

There is a link at the top of the page for a printable version of the directions for the feeding plan.
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2016
01:11:10 PM
Gliders for life Starting Member 2 Posts
I looked at glider kids and I was wondering how long the amount of food that recipe makes would last for two gliders
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2016
04:16:44 PM
I make Gliderkids for my girls and it lasts about it month and a half:)
Food, Diet
Apr 18 2016
12:52:12 AM
Each of my recipes includes the number of per glider servings in each batch.
Just divide the number of servings by the number of gliders you are feeding to determine how many days a batch will last.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders