Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Biting phase?
Biting phase?
Behavior
Apr 16 2016
11:41:15 PM
So, My little munchin and I are bonding still.

Last session of bathroom time; she COMPLETELY freaked out; didn't like it AT ALL.
so we've taken a step back and are going slow.
For now, I've been sticking my hands in the cage with her; pet her, gently push her toys around to help encourage her to investigate, and also let her try to groom me.

I do know that when they groom, they scrape their teeth on you.
I'm unsure if Ithil just gets carried away with it; or what? I know young gliders DO get a biting phase, I'm wondering if this is it??

I've gotten a few bloody spots/scratches from those teeth of her's.

When she pinches or hurts I use the "PSST!" noise; A few times now she's completely ignored it. Instead of jerking my hand back I actually mimicked her crabbing sounds and she stopped and stared at me for a few moments. [Just to get my point across that 'Hey, I don't like that!' ]

Any suggestions/training tips to help with overxealous grooming/biting/pinching??

Edited by - Minxies on Apr 16 2016 11:44:01 PM
Behavior
Apr 18 2016
04:55:57 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
How long have you had her? How old is she?

If she is primarily biting and grooming your hand and arm ( because it's inside her cage ) try turning your hand or arm over so she is upside down. The redirect usually makes them stop biting or grooming.

I have a young joey who went through a biting phase, and I have an older female who still bites when given the opportunity, she is a work in progress.

Biting phase?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Biting phase?