Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
getting a second glider! advice please!!
Information
Apr 17 2016
07:07:29 AM
hello everyone! new member and suggie owner here, i got mo from a local breeder just a little while ago and we have a long way to go but he's much less crabbier now! as it happens i've been agonizing about getting a friend for him, since i wasn't able to buy two at once because of financial reasons... welp, better late than never.

right, so let's get to the point! i have a few questions. first of all, is there anything i have to look out for during the introduction? also, mo is about 11 weeks oop now, would it be okay to introduce another 8 week joey to him?

next question, which gender is the best choice for him? i'd definitely go for another male since i don't intend to breed but i'm really scared two males will end up fighting!! i heard they won't fight if one or both are neutered, though? i'm in the process of trying to find a vet who can neuter a sugar glider right now, they're really rare in my area. so:
- if i could get them neutered, should i go for a male? and when is the best time (age) to neuter them?
- in the case that i don't find one, is it maybe best to just get a female?

i'm in a bit of a dilemma but mostly i can't stand the thought of mo living all on his own!

thanks all!

Edited by - milktea on Apr 17 2016 07:07:59 AM
Information
Apr 17 2016
11:11:59 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Is Mo intact? I'm sure he would appreciate a boy or a girl for a cage mate, but yes, the boy should ideally be neutered.
Information
Apr 17 2016
11:15:46 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Also, size is more important than age. If the new glider is much larger or smaller than Mo, one of them may be at a disadvantage.
Information
Apr 17 2016
03:40:29 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
If you get your male nuetered, then I'd say get a female.
we had 2 neutered males to start, and they did fine. Then we got 2 females and they introduced easy and have been fine. Then we got 2 more females, the introductions took more time about 4 attempts, but now all 6 are happy together.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders