Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Economy type Wheel. 5.99-9.00
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2016
07:44:10 AM
I know there are tons of others who may have concerns, but due to the fact that I am trying to save a little bit of money during this time, I ended up trying to find a more economically priced wheel instead of the averaged $30+ homemade varieties or the newer Wombat--silent (now without the middle bar).

I found a wheel at petco for about $10 called You&Me petco brand Mesh wheel. They had a 9" and a 11" both priced between $9+tax-$13+tax
Currently, online, they seem to be even cheaper because of a sale. $5.99 for the 9" and about $8 for the 11" + free shipping with the code: happy

www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/small-animal/small-animal-cages-habitats/small-animal-cage-and-habitats-accessories/petco-small-animal-mesh-exercise-wheels-in-assorted-colors

The entire wheel is an open front basket style wheel, with all powder coated wire mesh. If you have a sturdy enough cage, you can remove the base to attach to the cage. It also seems to have a slight wobble depending on how you tighten in.

Warning: Not as silent as some of the more expensive wheels. You may be able to apply some sort of lubricant to try to lighten the sound. It isn't super loud, but if you need something silent, you may want to invest some more money.

My single glider loved it though. I plan on making a few modifications to it, and I will share if it turns out to be dangerous in any way--- but I wanted to share in case others, like me, might need something until they can purchase a higher quality product down the road.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2016
08:13:51 AM
slyo Super Glider Visit slyo's Photo Album USA 331 Posts

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2016
08:45:17 AM
JLR Glider Visit JLR's Photo Album JLR's Journal Canada 95 Posts
I would be careful applying lubricants as the glider's may ingest some of it and get sick
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2016
10:34:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by JLR

I would be careful applying lubricants as the glider's may ingest some of it and get sick

yes. I was considering vegetable oil, but I agree.
Thankfully I have mine in a room away from the bedroom so I don't have to worry too much about noise currently.

Oh. Also, random note for anyone interested, but Petco is having a sale on Yogurt drops as well. 2.99 instead of the 4.99+ you'll see at other places. Use Code Happy for free shipping on all items.

Edited by - slyo on Apr 18 2016 10:36:24 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2016
12:41:08 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
that wheel might be fine if you have only one glider (and yet, even 11' is kinda small, doesnt allow much room to jump)... but is dangerous if you have more (tails caught between the stand and the wheel when one glider is running and another is playing around)

Edited by - sjusovare on Apr 18 2016 12:42:27 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2016
06:28:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sjusovare

that wheel might be fine if you have only one glider (and yet, even 11' is kinda small, doesnt allow much room to jump)... but is dangerous if you have more (tails caught between the stand and the wheel when one glider is running and another is playing around)

Ah, I never thought about that. Thankfully the glider using it is still a single, but I may need to consider another wheel in a month or two if I am able to acquire the glider I am currently interested in.
Thanks!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2016
11:26:12 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You need to check that type wheel very carefully - the wire tends to have sharp points where the cut edge is tack welded to the frame.

Use a dry cotton ball and run it all over the wheel - if you are seeing tufts of cotton sticking to the wire - there are sharp spots that might cause cuts on your glider's feet or on their body if they rub against the sharp spot while marking the cage and wheel.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 19 2016
10:19:58 AM
I will have to try that when I get the chance. So far it seems to be doing well. For some reason he likes to stay on the bottom of the wheel so unless you fasten it to the side of a cage, it would be dangerous for two gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 20 2016
12:42:12 PM
Cheechsmomma Joey Visit Cheechsmomma's Photo Album 32 Posts
I have this wheel with two gliders and they absolutely LOVEEE it! It's just big enough for them to run side by side on it, it so funny watching them!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 20 2016
12:43:44 PM
Cheechsmomma Joey Visit Cheechsmomma's Photo Album 32 Posts
I put coconut oil on mine to make it quieter and it worked like a charm. Along with securing it to the bottom of their cage!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders