Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Adding a new joey to the family
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 21 2016
10:28:52 AM
I have two beautiful female standard grey gliders. I've had Lailah and Luna for about a year now. I've always been in love with platinum gliders and finally found one who is ready to be brought home in 3 weeks. He is a male. I am a little nervous because he's small and coming home 8 weeks out of pouch and my girls are a year old. I know the introduction process will be a bit slower. When I introduced my second glider to my first everything went perfect, but they were the exact same age. I was able to let them sleep in the same cage the next night because they didn't like being away from eachother. They barked and cried all night until I placed Luna in the same cage as Lailah. Luna is an absolute sweetheart and loves to be handled and is extremely adventurous. NEVER crabs. Lailah on the other hand is more crabby and very pouch protective. Has never bit anyone, but she's a bit more shy and hides int he cage and likes to steal food from Luna's mouth causing them to crab at one another for a bit sometimes, so Im a little nervous introducing my little male when I get him in 3 weeks. Can you guys please give me advice for introducing a joey to older gliders?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 21 2016
10:47:55 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Well, I'll start with the usual recommendations:

1. Quarantine your new glider for 30 days at least. Get a fecal and health check done as soon as possible, fecals sometimes are wrong, so even if it comes negative, continue the quarantine. Do another fecal at the end of the 30 day period, and if that comes negative as well, then it is safe to go ahead and start the introductions. I know it sounds tedious, but this is to prevent the spreading of diseases. If the new glider is sick and you put him with your healthy babies, then you will have to treat all 3 of your gliders. By doing this, even if the new glider is sick, you will only have to treat him, and thus save a lot of money.

2. Neuter all males. Males can become sexual mature as old as 12 weeks OOP. Unless you plan to breed (which is a lot of work and often not recommended for novices), the best thing you can do is have the male neutered. If he is already neutered, then disregard this point.

You can find an article on introductions here in the giderpedia (www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?IntroducingNewGliders).

It is usually not recommended to put gliders with a large difference in size together, in case a fight breaks, the smaller glider will have less chances to defend itself. Age is not as important as size, so if their sizes are close, you should be fine with introductions. If they are not, the recommended thing to do is wait until they are. But if you feel confident that they will get along fine, start with the scent swapping and then introducing them in a small space, where you have much control and will be able to separate them if they start fighting (usually a bathtub, since it also gives them less grip).

Hope, this is helpful

Edited by - rustypossumfart on Apr 21 2016 10:48:26 AM
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Apr 21 2016
11:56:32 AM
LailahLuna Starting Member Visit LailahLuna's Photo Album 4 Posts
Thanks so much. That helped a lot. I went ahead and set up a neuter and fecal exam with a friend of mine who is a Vet tech.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders