Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New to this group (first ever post) & need help, please!
Question
Apr 27 2016
05:24:51 PM
Hey there,
Im jessie, im from newfoundland, canada. i have a male, Junior(wfb). 1 year old nurtered. and i also have 2 females, Lexi(wfb) and Willow(leu) both less then a year old.

Junior is in a sepret cage then the girls, but once the girls bond to me abit, then i will start intros with them.

sooo, this is why im here..... recently iv noticed that Junior has very cracked fur and it isnt normal for him. his diet has not changed, but the past two/three days he hasent been eating...

first , should i be worried that he has not been eating in two/three days?

and second, what could be causing the cracked fur for junior? ( i know about humitiy but it is not dry here or in my home). also, what can i do to help it and make his fur better again?
Question
Apr 27 2016
05:50:57 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Hello, welcome!

I personally recommend you to schedule a vet visit or at least consult with your sugar glider experienced vet asap. I do not feel it's normal for a glider to stop eating for two or three days when they've been on same diet they have been eating. It may be nothing is wrong, but wouldn't be worth risking it in case there was.
Question
Apr 27 2016
06:01:01 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
welcome!:)

cracking fur is usually due to poor diet. which diet are you feeding? he may just now be showing the effects of the diet.
Question
Apr 27 2016
06:14:00 PM
newfie suggie mama Joey 23 Posts
thanks so much for the quick reply...

i am not sure the name of the diet, but this is the recipe..(it is the diet my breeder uses)

DIET IT

-60 of plain full fat yogurt or vanilla

-3oz of frozen orange juice with calicum

-6oz of protein- cooked chicken, turkey or 3 eggs

- 2tsp of calicum powder
1tsp of vitamin powder ( or 2tsp of mixed calicum and vitamin)

-1/2 cup of honey

-1 cup of fresh or frozen fruit

- 1 cup of fresh or frozen veggies (can add a additional cup of kale if you wish)

********* i also had him at the vet not long ago with a clean bill of health.....
Question
Apr 27 2016
09:54:36 PM
unknownxcelebrity Super Glider Visit unknownxcelebrity's Photo Album unknownxcelebrity's Journal FL, USA 259 Posts
Most vets are pretty good with answering phone calls if you wanted to call their office and explain the situation. Even if it takes a couple of hours, the doctor will usually get back to you so you don't have to go for another vet visit unneccessarily.

With that said, it is very unusual for gliders to completely stop eating for that long. You mentioned no changes in his diet, but have there been environmental changes that would stress him out?

Cracked fur is usually a sign of a bad diet (or rather, a diet that's not nutritional sound), it can also be caused by dirty cage sets and pouches. If it's been few days since his pouch was washed, that could be the culprit. I have six gliders myself so unless I change my pouch daily they end up looking like catfood gliders.

As for the diet the breeder gave you, I would recommend doing a little bit of reading up on different approved sugar glider diets, this doesn't look like one I've seen, but that's not to say it's wrong or unhealthy. Diet is just a huge part of glider care so extra information and knowing what your feeding your gliders is super important.

Edited by - unknownxcelebrity on Apr 27 2016 09:56:16 PM
Question
Apr 28 2016
09:44:39 AM
warmanj Glider Visit warmanj's Photo Album 67 Posts
Hello,

Cracked fur is usually due to diet. Perhaps you can look into switching to one of the staple diets (HPW, BML, ect). There is a nice list on the Gliderpedia. Also, talking to the vet wouldn't hurt.

Question
Apr 28 2016
10:29:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by unknownxcelebrity

Most vets are pretty good with answering phone calls if you wanted to call their office and explain the situation. Even if it takes a couple of hours, the doctor will usually get back to you so you don't have to go for another vet visit unneccessarily.

With that said, it is very unusual for gliders to completely stop eating for that long. You mentioned no changes in his diet, but have there been environmental changes that would stress him out?

Cracked fur is usually a sign of a bad diet (or rather, a diet that's not nutritional sound), it can also be caused by dirty cage sets and pouches. If it's been few days since his pouch was washed, that could be the culprit. I have six gliders myself so unless I change my pouch daily they end up looking like catfood gliders.

As for the diet the breeder gave you, I would recommend doing a little bit of reading up on different approved sugar glider diets, this doesn't look like one I've seen, but that's not to say it's wrong or unhealthy. Diet is just a huge part of glider care so extra information and knowing what your feeding your gliders is super important.

i spoke with my vet and he couldnt give me any answers because junior is in good health.... also, last night he ate all his food and is back to eating his normal amount (guess he just wanted a break for a few days)

and his fur is not as cracked this smorning but still isnt back to his normal fur...
Question
Apr 28 2016
11:33:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by unknownxcelebrity

also the diet i posted that i am use right now was also reccromended to me by my vet and also a wholelistic vet that i consult with on a regular basis. its also used by my breeder, so this is not a ideal diet for them? should i change it?
Question
Apr 28 2016
01:09:11 PM
unknownxcelebrity Super Glider Visit unknownxcelebrity's Photo Album unknownxcelebrity's Journal FL, USA 259 Posts

quote:

also the diet i posted that i am use right now was also reccromended to me by my vet and also a wholelistic vet that i consult with on a regular basis. its also used by my breeder, so this is not a ideal diet for them? should i change it?

Nope, it just wasn't one that I recognized. I always encourage research, but if your vet recommended it to you, then it should be fine.
Question
Apr 28 2016
04:17:42 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
How are you preparing their diet? Hopefully, the fruits and vegetables are not going in the blender. That would force them to eat the indigestible fibers that they would normally chew up and spit out.
Question
Apr 28 2016
05:02:10 PM
yes it all goes into the blender, thats how everyone told me to do it, there is always chewies as i call them ( bits of dried up spit out food) left in the bowl when i take it out the next morning,
how should i be doing it?
Question
Apr 28 2016
06:06:29 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
you should be feeding the fruits and veggies on the side so they can chew what they want and not have to ingest the fibers they usually spot out. the little spitlings that you are seeing is just from the ground up fruits and veggies. my gliders leave spitlings when just drinking their Gliderkids staple
Question
Apr 28 2016
06:17:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kiwi3435

you should be feeding the fruits and veggies on the side so they can chew what they want and not have to ingest the fibers they usually spot out. the little spitlings that you are seeing is just from the ground up fruits and veggies. my gliders leave spitlings when just drinking their Gliderkids staple

they do get fresh fruit on the side along with yogurt and mealworms. im looking into a new diet for them because they seem to be kinda picky on the on that their on..
thinking about the TPG,
does anyone like this diet? is it good for them?
Question
Apr 28 2016
06:28:01 PM
I've used it before and my girls loved it
Question
Apr 29 2016
06:06:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kiwi3435

I've used it before and my girls loved it

is there anywhere else i can get the supplements except the pet glider? shipping on that site is 30+ dollars for me so its going to be about 77$ just for one time.....
Question
Apr 29 2016
06:23:44 PM
I'm sorry but no.....
Information
Apr 29 2016
11:31:46 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
contact them and request the supplements be shipped by regular mail instead of priority mail. It may take a little longer to get the package but the cost is much lower.
Question
Apr 30 2016
04:32:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

contact them and request the supplements be shipped by regular mail instead of priority mail. It may take a little longer to get the package but the cost is much lower.

okay i am going to try that now, thanks so much!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders