Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help! My son brought home a glider not sure if we should keep it
Question
Apr 29 2016
12:27:16 AM
Long story short, my teenage son was given a glider unexpectedly. We have reason to suspect it was being being neglected in its previous home. From all I read on giders these past few days, I was leaning towards letting him keep it..except we live in CA. So now I'm torn between having this pet that we have to have in secret or giving it away. We don't feel right about giving it back to where he got it. I'm sure it's been asked a bunch but does anyone know of rescues in CA? Or if it's really even an issue having one in CA?? I would consider keeping it. We are a good solid home. Loving family, able to give it what it needs, except I guess another suggie friend. Looking to hear any advice/perspective. And please no judging we really didn't ask for this and really want what's best for the little guy
Question
Apr 29 2016
06:51:20 AM
slyo Super Glider Visit slyo's Photo Album USA 331 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Sugargramma

Long story short, my teenage son was given a glider unexpectedly. We have reason to suspect it was being being neglected in its previous home. From all I read on giders these past few days, I was leaning towards letting him keep it..except we live in CA. So now I'm torn between having this pet that we have to have in secret or giving it away. We don't feel right about giving it back to where he got it. I'm sure it's been asked a bunch but does anyone know of rescues in CA? Or if it's really even an issue having one in CA?? I would consider keeping it. We are a good solid home. Loving family, able to give it what it needs, except I guess another suggie friend. Looking to hear any advice/perspective. And please no judging we really didn't ask for this and really want what's best for the little guy

I am curious about this too.. I have considered relocating, and it appears difficult to try to get any kind of permit in CA to even allow gliders, unless you have some sort of shop or wildlife based organization..

Typically, from what I have heard, glider confiscations (if that is the correct term), happen very rarely. It is usually only in the case where the homeowner is being charged with another crime and gliders are found on the premises. In other words, in the case where the owner is no longer capable of caring for it in home.

The other exceptions are also, of course, invasive species and dangerous ones, that, for example, escape, and or cause damage to people or places. They are confiscated and the owners are often charged until they can provide some sort of costly permit and other fees. Sugar gliders, however, are neither invasive to the area or particularly dangerous to that degree.. They are just not allowed.

I would say if you aren't at risk of being forced from your home, and can safely provide care for your pet, you might be ok.. but it will be extra difficult for you to find proper vet care for your pet, and you run other risks as well.

I know most people would say it isn't worth the risk, but it might be your call.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has personal experience here that can share.
Question
Apr 29 2016
07:03:05 AM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
IN CA gliders have been taken recently ( AZ glider rescue) ended up with 20 + gliders from a lady in CA that smuggled them in. by the time they WERE taken to the rescue (don't hold me on the numbers and such memory not great ) there was 1 that died and several + needed surgeries to help get them back in healthy start. there was once glider who lost her EYE and a huge abscess on her head from an infection.a couple lost part of their tail. among other issues.

Plus it will be easy to track a person that has gliders all they got to do is check were /what your ordered for a glider since the proper and safe stuff will give you away though postal service.

Owning gliders is great and I hate to hear of the heartbreak when/if your caught and the poor glider taken..
Information
Apr 29 2016
07:14:30 AM
Willa Joey TX, USA 21 Posts
Ok, I could be wrong here. I have my gliders in an apartment that wants you to pay an Astronomical pet deposit, therefore they do not know about them. If I need something, I can usually get it from a REALLY good pet store close by. If I have to order it, I can have it sent to my daughter's house. Of course this isn't the same as them being illegal. I would be happy to find out what steps you need to go through to get a permit for your baby.
Question
Apr 29 2016
07:16:30 AM
Gayle Glider Visit Gayle's Photo Album Gayle's Journal USA 90 Posts
I would love to take good care of him/her. Wonder how much itd be to ship??
Question
Apr 29 2016
07:55:00 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I'm on my first sip of coffee so hopefully nothing I type comes off as rude or snarky If it does, it was not intended that way.

First of all thank you for taking the glider in, and secondly good on you for researching enough to even know they are illegal in California.

I'm sure it's a difficult choice to keep it or turn it over to someone in a legal state, and I am in no way judging but I can give you some insight that may help in your decision.

it IS an issue having one in Ca, because 1 it's illegal, 2 vet care is a necessity for exotic animals and 3 they can, will and have not only confiscated gliders in Ca ( and Pa ) but they have also destroyed them ( put them down )

Personally, if you wanted to risk the fines and possible jail times I wouldn't have a problem with that, it's your choice and consequence of your decision ( or any glider owner in Cal not just you )

However the glider didn't ask to be in an illegal state and shouldn't have to potentially pay that price. It's a risk I personally wouldn't take because I feel it is a selfish one ( again not just your specific situation I realize this was not a choice you made )

Things to consider if you do decide to keep him/her...

* If the glider should need vet care, and they often do. Vets can and will treat the glider because of their ethics buttttttt they can also report that you have one to the authorities. A lot of times this is how people get caught which is another risk, do you sacrifice needed medical attention and allow the glider to suffer and or die or risk getting reported and get the glider treated ( again risking it's life to save it )? This is probably the biggest issue with owning in an illegal state.

The fact that this glider was neglected at it's previous home would suggest he/she already needs medical attention or at the very least a wellness check to make sure he/she is healthy, parasite free.

If your having troubles deciding if it is best to keep him or her imagine making that decision because that is a valid scenario that you will face if you keep him/her.

* The glider community... while the glider community can be a great asset and resource for glider husbandry for new owners, the community is also HIGHLY Judgmental when it comes to owners in illegal states ( among other things ) This particular forum we are on isn't to awful bad, but it is limited compared to other groups and forums.

Now it may not seem like you will need to rely on the glider community for anything, but gliders have needs. Gliders need glider safe fleece pouches/cage sets, glider safe wheels, glider safe toys and diets etc. The resource for these things are the glider community ( unless you are really crafty and able to make your own )

The issue then comes from shipping. The minute a vendor receives your order and address you are facing judgement and scrutiny for living in an illegal state. Some vendors may overlook it and think of whats best for the glider, however most will not. So if your not the crafty type and aren't able to make these things for the glider ( somethings are unsafe to make yourself like wheels ), and you can't order from well known vendors... the glider goes without things he/she needs.

Having said that, there are some of us that are willing to help and teach you these skills ( with the exception of wheel making ) however, that does not mean we condone owning in an illegal state, it just means we accept that some people do and we still want what is best for those gliders so we put our personal feelings aside and just help.

* Cage mates, 99% of the community will tell you the glider needs a cage mate or they will die or self mutilate or be depressed. Well they won't die or self mutilate just from being alone. They DO get depressed and stressed though. Gliders are nocturnal, and colony animals they do thrive when in pairs or more. By keeping the glider, it will be difficult to find him/her a friend. Which means you and your family is all that glider has and you will have to spend a lot of time with him/her.

I am sure there are breeders in Ca even though they are illegal, but if you go that route you will be supporting backyard illegal breeding, something else the glider community frowns upon. So you either condemn that glider to a solitary life or support a scummy industry to get him/her a friend which may or may not be inbred, sick, loaded with parasites that will infect your other glider.

Getting a cage mate creates another problem. 1 if you have a male, the male probably needs neutered, which requires vet. Most often males in illegal states are intact... So if you get a female cagemate the male is intact the gliders will breed, then produce more potential males that need neutered, and if they produce females the females need separated so the father doesn't breed with them... requiring another cage and set up. This cycle will quickly overwhelm you and your finances, and if you can't keep all the offspring they will need new homes.

If you have two intact males, eventually they will fight, which means vet care usually.

Now if you have two females and hopefully both are healthy well then that might work out, but again the source of another glider is not a reputable one.

* Diets, there is only one diet that will likely be available to you in Ca because it is the ONLY diet that you can find all of the ingredients locally. The diet is bml http://www.bmldiet.com/bml-recipe.html While I usually support this diet to the fullest extent, especially for new owners because it is simple and it takes all the guess work out. Some gliders do not like it, gliders are picky eaters. If your glider won't eat it, then that glider doesn't get the nutrients it's body needs, which brings on health issues that require vet care.

All of the other widely used and recommended diets require you to order ingredients online. Again, most vendors will NOT ship to an illegal state. Diets and vet care are 2 of the most important things regarding gliders. You will have a disadvantage on both accounts.

These are just a few essential things to consider while making your decision.

I work with a glider group on facebook that focuses on rehoming and rescuing gliders. We have many resources and individuals willing to help with situations like this. I can see about finding either a rescue or individual to take the glider in if that is what you decide.

In the mean time, I do highly suggest you take a look at the bml recipe and get the glider on some good nutritional food.

Take some pics if you can of his/her cage and things in the cage so we can help get him set up comfortably with safe items.

I also have resources that would be willing to ship some pouches and toys so the glider has a safe comfy sleeping spot for the time being. ( without judgement )

If you need anything or have further questions about care, diet, anything feel free to contact me on facebook anytime https://www.facebook.com/carla.sloan.1

Edited by - Leela on Apr 29 2016 08:10:53 AM
Information
Apr 29 2016
10:33:37 AM
Willa Joey TX, USA 21 Posts
Ok, I looked up on line as promised about a permit. Unfortunately there is no way to get a permit to legally own a sugar glider. There is a list of vets that do see them, but you are going to face the same decision as before. Do you hide it and hope it is, and itvstays healthy or do you take it to the vet and take a chance of being turned in. Now that I have more information on the situation, I'll give you my honest option even though it may not be important or wanted. I rent so I'm pretty mobile, when I was looking to get a monkey and we were planning to leave Texas, I checked to see which states it was illegal to own one. I had discussed it with my husband and decided not to move to any of those states. For us, that was an option. However, my husband found a job that did not require us to move from Texas. That being said, I personally would not risk this babies life. I'm sorry that I'm not really very helpful. Maybe you can talk to one of these vets and tell them the situation, they might be able to help you in some way.
Question
Apr 29 2016
10:58:51 AM
Sugargramma Starting Member 4 Posts
Hi. It's me again. I don't know how to reply to individual replies on this forum. I want to thank each of you for taking your time to help give me perspective. Leela- You raised some points that I really had not even considered. The bottom line is we need to find this baby a home in a LEGAL state. If we find a home for him here in CA- he will be in the same boat (or worse off) than if we kept him. I will gather up the ingredients for the BML diet. He's a young glider (he was told 6 months) so hopefully we can find him a home that will give him a nice long life. He came to us in a long aquarium. Totally wrong for gliders, I know but my son has been wearing him in a pouch and giving him lots of attention and at least feeding him healthy thingd that he read about online but I know the sooner he gets to somewhere with toys and friends, he will be much happier. When I made this account, I accidentally made it so I couldn't receive private emails. I'm going to see if I can change that. So yeah..that's where we are at. As much as it would be a loved member of our family, I don't think it's fair to little guy. So the hope is to find either a rescue or individual who can give him what he needs. This honestly stinks..I can't say I would have sought a glider out but if we were in a legal state, I'd have done t. He can't go back to where he came from. He was living in an aquarium and being terrorized by a cat and most likely neglected.
Question
Apr 29 2016
11:00:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mechnut450

IN CA gliders have been taken recently ( AZ glider rescue) ended up with 20 + gliders from a lady in CA that smuggled them in. by the time they WERE taken to the rescue (don't hold me on the numbers and such memory not great ) there was 1 that died and several + needed surgeries to help get them back in healthy start. there was once glider who lost her EYE and a huge abscess on her head from an infection.a couple lost part of their tail. among other issues.

Plus it will be easy to track a person that has gliders all they got to do is check were /what your ordered for a glider since the proper and safe stuff will give you away though postal service.

Owning gliders is great and I hate to hear of the heartbreak when/if your caught and the poor glider taken..

I was looking for rescues online saw those babies. so sad:(
Question
Apr 29 2016
11:05:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Leela

I'm on my first sip of coffee so hopefully nothing I type comes off as rude or snarky If it does, it was not intended that way.

First of all thank you for taking the glider in, and secondly good on you for researching enough to even know they are illegal in California.

I'm sure it's a difficult choice to keep it or turn it over to someone in a legal state, and I am in no way judging but I can give you some insight that may help in your decision.

it IS an issue having one in Ca, because 1 it's illegal, 2 vet care is a necessity for exotic animals and 3 they can, will and have not only confiscated gliders in Ca ( and Pa ) but they have also destroyed them ( put them down )

Personally, if you wanted to risk the fines and possible jail times I wouldn't have a problem with that, it's your choice and consequence of your decision ( or any glider owner in Cal not just you )

However the glider didn't ask to be in an illegal state and shouldn't have to potentially pay that price. It's a risk I personally wouldn't take because I feel it is a selfish one ( again not just your specific situation I realize this was not a choice you made )

Things to consider if you do decide to keep him/her...

* If the glider should need vet care, and they often do. Vets can and will treat the glider because of their ethics buttttttt they can also report that you have one to the authorities. A lot of times this is how people get caught which is another risk, do you sacrifice needed medical attention and allow the glider to suffer and or die or risk getting reported and get the glider treated ( again risking it's life to save it )? This is probably the biggest issue with owning in an illegal state.

The fact that this glider was neglected at it's previous home would suggest he/she already needs medical attention or at the very least a wellness check to make sure he/she is healthy, parasite free.

If your having troubles deciding if it is best to keep him or her imagine making that decision because that is a valid scenario that you will face if you keep him/her.

* The glider community... while the glider community can be a great asset and resource for glider husbandry for new owners, the community is also HIGHLY Judgmental when it comes to owners in illegal states ( among other things ) This particular forum we are on isn't to awful bad, but it is limited compared to other groups and forums.

Now it may not seem like you will need to rely on the glider community for anything, but gliders have needs. Gliders need glider safe fleece pouches/cage sets, glider safe wheels, glider safe toys and diets etc. The resource for these things are the glider community ( unless you are really crafty and able to make your own )

The issue then comes from shipping. The minute a vendor receives your order and address you are facing judgement and scrutiny for living in an illegal state. Some vendors may overlook it and think of whats best for the glider, however most will not. So if your not the crafty type and aren't able to make these things for the glider ( somethings are unsafe to make yourself like wheels ), and you can't order from well known vendors... the glider goes without things he/she needs.

Having said that, there are some of us that are willing to help and teach you these skills ( with the exception of wheel making ) however, that does not mean we condone owning in an illegal state, it just means we accept that some people do and we still want what is best for those gliders so we put our personal feelings aside and just help.

* Cage mates, 99% of the community will tell you the glider needs a cage mate or they will die or self mutilate or be depressed. Well they won't die or self mutilate just from being alone. They DO get depressed and stressed though. Gliders are nocturnal, and colony animals they do thrive when in pairs or more. By keeping the glider, it will be difficult to find him/her a friend. Which means you and your family is all that glider has and you will have to spend a lot of time with him/her.

I am sure there are breeders in Ca even though they are illegal, but if you go that route you will be supporting backyard illegal breeding, something else the glider community frowns upon. So you either condemn that glider to a solitary life or support a scummy industry to get him/her a friend which may or may not be inbred, sick, loaded with parasites that will infect your other glider.

Getting a cage mate creates another problem. 1 if you have a male, the male probably needs neutered, which requires vet. Most often males in illegal states are intact... So if you get a female cagemate the male is intact the gliders will breed, then produce more potential males that need neutered, and if they produce females the females need separated so the father doesn't breed with them... requiring another cage and set up. This cycle will quickly overwhelm you and your finances, and if you can't keep all the offspring they will need new homes.

If you have two intact males, eventually they will fight, which means vet care usually.

Now if you have two females and hopefully both are healthy well then that might work out, but again the source of another glider is not a reputable one.

* Diets, there is only one diet that will likely be available to you in Ca because it is the ONLY diet that you can find all of the ingredients locally. The diet is bml http://www.bmldiet.com/bml-recipe.html While I usually support this diet to the fullest extent, especially for new owners because it is simple and it takes all the guess work out. Some gliders do not like it, gliders are picky eaters. If your glider won't eat it, then that glider doesn't get the nutrients it's body needs, which brings on health issues that require vet care.

All of the other widely used and recommended diets require you to order ingredients online. Again, most vendors will NOT ship to an illegal state. Diets and vet care are 2 of the most important things regarding gliders. You will have a disadvantage on both accounts.

These are just a few essential things to consider while making your decision.

I work with a glider group on facebook that focuses on rehoming and rescuing gliders. We have many resources and individuals willing to help with situations like this. I can see about finding either a rescue or individual to take the glider in if that is what you decide.

In the mean time, I do highly suggest you take a look at the bml recipe and get the glider on some good nutritional food.

Take some pics if you can of his/her cage and things in the cage so we can help get him set up comfortably with safe items.

I also have resources that would be willing to ship some pouches and toys so the glider has a safe comfy sleeping spot for the time being. ( without judgement )

If you need anything or have further questions about care, diet, anything feel free to contact me on facebook anytime https://www.facebook.com/carla.sloan.1

Hi. I would love to be further in touch. I will send a FB message. Thank you so much for your reply

Question
Apr 29 2016
11:14:55 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I think that is a very responsible and the most unselfish gift you could ever possibly give that glider! If you lived in a legal state I think you would make an exceptional glider owner because you are putting the gliders needs and well being first. That really is a special thing to do

I don't typically post my number on here but in this case it may be easier to help you, if you'd like to give me a call I can help find the right place for him a safe place 813-817-4544

I do have a couple people interested in sending you a cage set and some toys while he is still in your care but I need more info from you to arrange that

Question
May 01 2016
11:42:47 AM
Kyritheous Starting Member 1 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Sugargramma

Hi. It's me again. I don't know how to reply to individual replies on this forum. I want to thank each of you for taking your time to help give me perspective. Leela- You raised some points that I really had not even considered. The bottom line is we need to find this baby a home in a LEGAL state. If we find a home for him here in CA- he will be in the same boat (or worse off) than if we kept him. I will gather up the ingredients for the BML diet. He's a young glider (he was told 6 months) so hopefully we can find him a home that will give him a nice long life. He came to us in a long aquarium. Totally wrong for gliders, I know but my son has been wearing him in a pouch and giving him lots of attention and at least feeding him healthy thingd that he read about online but I know the sooner he gets to somewhere with toys and friends, he will be much happier. When I made this account, I accidentally made it so I couldn't receive private emails. I'm going to see if I can change that. So yeah..that's where we are at. As much as it would be a loved member of our family, I don't think it's fair to little guy. So the hope is to find either a rescue or individual who can give him what he needs. This honestly stinks..I can't say I would have sought a glider out but if we were in a legal state, I'd have done t. He can't go back to where he came from. He was living in an aquarium and being terrorized by a cat and most likely neglected.

Hey Suggargramma, I was browsing the forums looking for rescues when I came across your post. I adopted a single sugar glider a month ago from someone who no longer wished to take care of him. Hes lived a solitary life since his cage mate died under the other persons care.

I give my glider lots of attention, carry him around play with him in his tent, and feed him treats like yogurt and honey off my hand. Its during our play times that I realize he will never be 100% happy till he gets a cage mate.

I would be happy to adopt your baby sugar and I think our pets would be happy to make new friends. I live in Las Vegas, NV where it is legal to own sugar gliders and would be willing to take the drive to meet you once finals week is over. I can be reached on facebook at www.facebook.com/fghirlando Shoot me a FB message and we can talk about any concerns or make arrangements.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders