Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mites omg what do I do??
Mites omg what do I do??
Question
May 11 2016
11:25:30 PM
Please help I think my little man olaf may have mites. He is always scratching and right now he's a lonely Mr man his friend hasn't been born yet still in pouch at the breeders place. And what scares me is I think if he does have mites it may have come from there. I have no other animals with mites they've all been checked and treated for fleas and everything just this week. I'm just a worry wart. :-)
Question
May 12 2016
08:58:02 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
It's pretty unlikely Olaf has mites. Gliders are very proficient groomers, which is probably what he is doing. It can look like scratching, but he is just combing and cleaning his fur.

Gliders do this "sneeze" thing in their hands and feet to clean themselves, and or lick their back foot.

They have two nails on their back feet that are longer and skinnier than the other two nails on the same foot, the skinny nails are their grooming nails and they do NOT need to be trimmed.
Question
May 13 2016
02:21:50 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
done a lot of reading on gliders in just under a year. Haven't heard of them having a mites problem. But I haven't read everything on them either.
Question
May 13 2016
12:36:57 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
It is unlikely that your glider has mites. The scratching is their way of grooming.

Since your glider is alone, he may actually be over grooming because this is an activity that gliders share. Overgrooming - often resulting in balding areas on the head can be a sign of lonelyness. This is especially true if your glider was just removed from the companionship of other gliders.
Question
Aug 17 2016
12:12:50 AM
Blazewolf04 Starting Member 1 Posts
My sugar glider seems to have mites. I think they are rat mites I don't know where he could have got them from. How can I treat this? He is alone and I have been looking for a friend for him I don't know if this is what he has but I'm worried I hand raised him he is like a child of mine. Help please
Question
Aug 30 2016
02:23:05 PM
Sugarbabies48 Joey 13 Posts
Take him to an exotic vet to be safe!
Mites omg what do I do??

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mites omg what do I do??