Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Male attacked me during bathroom time
Question
Jun 01 2016
08:37:28 PM
I just got two males a few days ago that are a few years old. The person I received them from didn't give me a lot of information on them other than she was moving and couldn't take them with but I know one of them at least must have bonded with her. The albino male is pretty calm and relaxed and does well, no crabbing and has only nipped at me once. The grey male however not so much, he always seems crabby. The first two days I left them in their cage but offered them treats to try and get used to my presence. Yesterday though I took them out to let them roam around in the bathroom and the when the grey male came out of his pouch he suddenly became aggressive. I was sitting on the floor close to where I set them and he crabbed and lunged for my hand. I made a "shh" noise hoping it would settle him but it seemed to only aggravate him more and he leaped onto my neck and began scratching me. I pulled him off and I could tell he was very scared as he was shaking, we both were. I wasn't trying to even touch him, simply trying to be close to them. I am new at this and while I'm not discouraged, I am nervous that now if I try again he will do the same thing. Do I just keep trying and hope that eventually he realizes he doesn't feel like he needs to attack me or is there something else I can try? Today I put him into the little mesh traveling carrier and have him sitting next to me.

Also, does anyone have any tips for people who care for your pets while you're traveling or on vacation? I leave on Sunday for a week for the military and I realize it's terrible timing and will probably have to start over when I get back. My boyfriend will be taking care of them in the meantime and while I trust him, I worry he won't be as motivated as I am if he's going be getting jumped in the bathroom.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Question
Jun 01 2016
08:46:03 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
welcome to the forum!!

slow down.....you have only had them for 2 days? they need time to adjust on their own and get used to thei surroundings. you are moving WAY to fast. give them 3 days to themselves in their cage with little or NO human contact. once this is over, wear them in a bonding pouch for many hours each day.

I did just answer and explain bonding quite recently on here in you want to look around on relatively new posts;)

what diet are you currently feeding them? are they neutered? is there cage quite large? do they have a safe wheel that allows them to jump? how about their toys, are there a lot?

I actually am just getting back from vacation myself and I left my gliders at home all by themselves.....I had my neighbor come over and feed them at night and make sure they were okay. they have each other and lots of toys to keep occupied. don't worry about it too much:)

ask as many more questions as you want!!!
Question
Jun 01 2016
09:09:00 PM
heidilynnxo Starting Member 4 Posts
Thank you! I've had them for about a week now but the first two days I only was around to feed them or give them a treat. A friend who previously owned gliders had told me that since they were tame to their previous owner, I should try and see if they would be friendly right away or not and that would tell me if they would need more time so that's when I decided to try and bring them into the bathroom yesterday just to see how they would do with me nearby. I haven't tried to hold them in my hand yet, but the white one does well with a pouch. I will back off for now and give them some more time.

Currently using Wombaroo powder for the HPW diet along with fruits and vegetables. I use raisins or meal worms for treats. I'm not sure if they are neutered. The cage is quite large, it's their original cage and toys. There are quite a few toys, I went out and bought more for variety yesterday. There also is a large wheel for them and is safe, it's been quite entertaining to watch them on it.
Question
Jun 02 2016
12:04:34 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
he also might need to mark his new property/tree. so his scratching could have been that. Our sophie has never bitten from day one, BUT during first few bathroom trips, she would sit on my arm and start scratching her teeth on my skin, it really hurt but was NOT a bite, but was suppose to be a marking move on her new toy human.

and SLOW DOWN..... bonding can be fast or really slow, different gliders and different bonding styles will all make a different time that your tiny 100 gram pet will trust its NEW 10,000,000 gram owner.
Question
Jun 02 2016
02:38:46 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
as an example.
Our gizmo took my wife 2+ months to get bonded to her, he is super tame, kinda potty trained, can be picked up, is a bra baby that can spend the whole day sleeping in my wifes bra. Will gently groom my wife.
Our Link, gotten with gizmo, is half bonded, doesnt like being picked up, might jump off your shoulders, but will usually spend time in bonding t shirt sleeping away, walk on you, jump on and off you during playtime. doesnt bite but will groom you so hard you will think he is pulling OUT your hair.
then we got big mama and sophie rehomed. Sophie is the sweetest loving, wants to be sleeping with you, glider from DAY ONE. sleeps with me, wife, and both 11 year olds for hours if not ALL DAY. Big mama is STILL anti social. will take treats, no longer bites super hard, will only bite if you leave your finger in front of her face (its like she looks at it and after a few moments of thought says, "fine if your gonna make it easy. CHOMP!".) But you can pet her in pouch, out of pouch she will just walk away medium speed, she doesnt have a fast speed.

Our two newest ones are starting to come along, got them valintines day I think, Riggs will jump out of cage and onto my shoulder, take treats, and isn't to scared of us anymore, scarface is still very skittish and will run away easy if spooked. but has no problem with a pet in pouch but still crabs in pouch if you touch it. scar doesnt like being handled to much, but in playroom will jump all over you no problem. they dont bite, unless picked up rough.
Question
Jun 04 2016
02:08:27 AM
heidilynnxo Starting Member 4 Posts
Thank you for your example! It helped remind me that I just have to remind myself that to not be so impatient, this will take time, I really just want them to love me right now like I do them lol.

quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

as an example.
Our gizmo took my wife 2+ months to get bonded to her, he is super tame, kinda potty trained, can be picked up, is a bra baby that can spend the whole day sleeping in my wifes bra. Will gently groom my wife.
Our Link, gotten with gizmo, is half bonded, doesnt like being picked up, might jump off your shoulders, but will usually spend time in bonding t shirt sleeping away, walk on you, jump on and off you during playtime. doesnt bite but will groom you so hard you will think he is pulling OUT your hair.
then we got big mama and sophie rehomed. Sophie is the sweetest loving, wants to be sleeping with you, glider from DAY ONE. sleeps with me, wife, and both 11 year olds for hours if not ALL DAY. Big mama is STILL anti social. will take treats, no longer bites super hard, will only bite if you leave your finger in front of her face (its like she looks at it and after a few moments of thought says, "fine if your gonna make it easy. CHOMP!".) But you can pet her in pouch, out of pouch she will just walk away medium speed, she doesnt have a fast speed.

Our two newest ones are starting to come along, got them valintines day I think, Riggs will jump out of cage and onto my shoulder, take treats, and isn't to scared of us anymore, scarface is still very skittish and will run away easy if spooked. but has no problem with a pet in pouch but still crabs in pouch if you touch it. scar doesnt like being handled to much, but in playroom will jump all over you no problem. they dont bite, unless picked up rough.

Question
Jun 04 2016
05:45:09 PM
DrusillaAnnWulf Starting Member 4 Posts
Another thing you can do is get small cloths or little tiny glider blankies put them in your pillow and then the next day put the in their pouch for when they sleep i was told to do that when i first got my gliders i started out with 2 and ended up with 7
Question
Jun 05 2016
09:22:30 AM
I put the t-shirt under the arm, rubbed real good, and placed it on the cage. kinda gross but gives them a nice strong scent. can do this with fleece in pouch also.
At start, I would replace it every 2 days with fresh
(armpit) scent.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders