Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider constantly attacking , especially towards my fingers
Question
Jun 02 2016
09:49:30 AM
HELP: so I've had my male glider for 6 months now and I know it takes a while to bond but I think we have an okay one so far. And it's just been me and him. I recently got him a female a couple of days ago and he's been fine with me . But since yesterday he has been very very agresive to me. I don't know if it's because the change in diet or because he has a new female. For the food I thought I still had two cubes left but I didn't so I fed them a lot of fruits and vegetables but I know I'm missing the protein but it was just for one night. So I thought maybe that's why he's so agresive. But tonight when I gave him his normal meal he's even worst . He bit my thumb and didn't let go no matter how hard I tried to get him off. He broke skin in 4 different places and there was blood. When I finally got him off my thumb he ran up and down my body making noises. Right away I went to go wash
my hand and put alcohol. I can't even go to the doors to the cage without him charging it. But during the day he's fine. He's never been like this with me just the occasional nip when we play. Please help I'm still a novice glider owner (I have videos of his behavior but I'm not sure how to post it
Question
Jun 02 2016
09:51:48 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
is he neutered?
Question
Jun 02 2016
10:01:12 AM
Yoda2016 Joey 17 Posts
No neither him or the female are nuetered
Question
Jun 02 2016
10:19:37 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Neutering the male will probably help the most. He is sexual mature and his hormones are are raging. Neutering can help with their territorial, aggression, smell, not to mention preventing breeding which can get overwhelming in a hurry.

Females aren't "neutered" it's call spayed for females, neuter for males. Female gliders aren't usually spayed either, it's a very complicated and invasive procedure for females and only done when it's a medical necessity.

Do you have a vet experienced in gliders and glider neutering ?
Question
Jun 02 2016
11:22:30 AM
Yoda2016 Joey 17 Posts
Yes i have a vet on hand. but will the hormones subside over time? Is he only acting like this because she may be in heat? Because like i said he never use to act like this towards me. And he only reacts aggressive with me, when my brother goes in and does the same exact things i do he is perfectly calm with him. But I'm the one who would spend the most time with him
Question
Jun 02 2016
11:32:14 AM
Yoda2016 Joey 17 Posts
This is the video i recorded of the night that he attacked me. And he has been acting this way ever since
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkm1Og0NJvo&feature=youtu.be

Edited by - Yoda2016 on Jun 02 2016 11:36:17 AM
Question
Jun 02 2016
12:40:54 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
have you by coincidence changed anything in your habits which could lead him to not recognize you? (soap, shampoo, perfume...), or is there anything you've done which could lead him to associate you as a threat?
Question
Jun 02 2016
12:50:59 PM
Yoda2016 Joey 17 Posts
I have done nothing different, the only thing is that i colored my hair but that was a day before he attacked me.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders