Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Balling up while mating ?
Behavior
Jun 03 2016
01:51:02 AM
I've recently introduced my male glider to a female 4 days ago. Of course he is going to be all over her . But today I noticed him just going on her back and holding on and not moving. At times they just stayed like that but then she would turn and nip at him and they would end up getting in little tussles and fall to the bottom of the cage and bickering as it all goes down. Then it would start all over again . My female is a lot smaller then my male and I don't want her getting hurt . I don't know what to do
Information
Jun 03 2016
10:25:51 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Mating behavior can get pretty rough. Be sure to check her frequently for mating wounds. The male often hold on to the female with his mouth and can cause a red area on her shoulder or worse and actual open wound.

You are going to see this monthly when the female is in heat. The only way to reduce the behavior is to have the male neutered - unless you are fully prepared to have multiple joeys in your future.

This web page will give you more detailed information on breeding gliders and the care that might be required if they reject the joeys.

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/educationalarticles.htm

Behavior
Jun 03 2016
01:45:33 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
make sure that your female is over 11 months AT LEAST. otherwise, she may reject the Joey because she is FAR to young to be taking care of them. you need to get your male neutered AS SOON AS POSSIBLE otherwise you risk going through your female rejecting the joeys.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders