Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pregnant first time mommy.
Food, Diet
Jun 09 2016
11:30:55 PM
I have had October for going on 4 years now. She has always been extremely clean. The past two days I notice her tail is covered in poop pee and whatever fluids came out when she gave birth two days ago. The vet said it was normal for her not to groom herself while the Joey's are growing inside her pouch. I don't want to stress her out and I keep refilling their "bathing water"(two small bowls of water that she plays in) but she has yet to clean her tail. Any advice? She smells like poo so bad right now and all she wants is to be on my shoulder and it's so hard not to feel a bit grossed out by the smell.
Food, Diet
Jun 10 2016
12:07:12 AM
Momo09 Starting Member Visit Momo09's Photo Album 8 Posts
Update:
My male is covered in it too so neither are grooming right now. He's getting fixed tomorrow so maybe the vet will clean him up. I have tried lightly wiping her with a baby wipe. I feel so bad for them. :(
Food, Diet
Jun 10 2016
12:07:34 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
It is not normal for pregnant gliders to stop grooming themselves.

Use a damp cloth and clean the pooh out of her fur. Keep her on you or in a bonding pouch for warmth until her fur is completely dry.

Gliders do not usually "bathe" using water. They groom themselves using their tongues and combing their fur with the grooming claws on their back feet.

Be observant - is she having diarrhea that is causing the pooh to stick to her fur? Normally the pooh is solid enough that it drops away and does not stick to the glider's fur at all.

Food, Diet
Jun 10 2016
12:11:40 AM
I think she might be. I'm not home a lot due to work but at night I try to watch them for a few hours to see if they are well or not. She is eating a lot, is she upsetting her stomach by eating so much so fast? She has a variety of diet that hasn't changed since I've gotten her (other than switching up the fruits and veggies) she gets her vitamins and calcium and they have meal worms for protein. They have both been healthy since I've had them.
Food, Diet
Jun 10 2016
12:18:34 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
What exactly are you feeding her each night?

Meal Worms are not a good source of protein - they are mostly fat.

Your glider needs to be on a well balanced feeding plan if you expect her to successfully nurse healthy growing joeys.

If you are not following one of the widely used glider diets you may want to get your gliders on a good diet ASAP.

If you think your gliders may be having diarrhea - a vet visit for both is the next step. Fecal testing needs to be done to make sure they do not have any parasites that can cause many other health issues including diarrhea.

Not grooming can also be a sign of illness.
Food, Diet
Jun 10 2016
03:28:55 PM
I took her to the vet, her diet is fine. She has a bladder infection but otherwise she's fine. She isn't grooming because she's so big she can't reach very well. I'm glad she's okay.
Food, Diet
Jun 11 2016
04:13:40 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
she can't even groom herself?? that is a problem. I'm not so sure that the diet you are feeding her right now is healthy and nutritional enough for her.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders