Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
owners in the metro detroit area/bad vets
Information
Jun 23 2016
08:56:14 AM
Do not I repeat do not go to Parkway small animal vet in Clinton Township...they do not know what they are doing when it comes to sugar gliders. Let me tell you what's going on with my glider to better understand. About a month ago our glider had his caged pushed over during the middle of the night by one of our other pets the next morning we noticed he was bitting on his tail at the base so we took him to the emergency vet down in Novi (AEC which is an awe some place) we explained what happen and they gave us some pain meds and anti biotic ointment for his tail. We went home and everything was going well tail was healing until about 2 weeks later he startedid bitting on the base of his tail again so we called Parkway to set up an appointment for later in day. While we waited for our appointment to come we tried to figure out what cause him to start self mutilating and I read some things on here and other sites that it could be a uti we didn't think it was stress related again because we stopped letting the other pets in the room at night so we went to the appointment explained what's going on to them, I told them I read some things and said it might be a uti and we would like to get him tested for it they told us no it's Def not that and that he doesn't need the test they said he doing it because he lonely and they we need to get another and that would solve the issue so trusting the vet we listened (note they didn't even try to clean the wound on his tail). They sent us home with some anti biotic and pain meds and a sedative for him to stop bitting his tail. We go home start giving him the stuff. About a week later we notice his cloaca is enlarged and red and he still bitting on his tail. So we set up another appointment take him in yet again we bring up the uti and they still say that can't be it and that we might just need to get another one and that will solve all our issues. So we found another glider got her and yet he's still biting his tail. Now we get to yesterday day so for the past 24 hours we noticed him grunting when peeing and pooping I did more reading on here and noticed he could be constipated or uti still so I got him some pumpkin to try a nd help and we took him to the emergency vet late last night...after about 3 hours and some test and x-ray they tell us he has a uti! And that his tail might be dead nerve wise because he doesn't use it. Also worst case scenario he might have hurt the nerve to make him poop and pee so we have to help him for the rest of his life now do that!This could all have been avoided 3 vet visits ago if Parkway would have just listened to us now we have to find another vet and see about getting his tail amputated possibly which we don't want and he's still having a hard time pooping and peeing...so in the end people avoid Parkway at all cost.

Edited by - dhsanch on Jun 23 2016 08:56:51 AM
Information
Sep 06 2016
10:11:56 AM
Iluvsuggies Starting Member 4 Posts
Thats just terrible I know you posted this months ago but if your not able to find another vet and are willing to travel there is a vet in Akron OH the breeder I am going to purchase my first glider from takes the gliders there mainly because its the only options but he says there really great. He hasnt had a problem with them. Just wanted to let you know about them unfortunately I cant remember there ne for the life of me

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders