Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Uneaten dried mealworms
Uneaten dried mealworms
Food, Diet
Jun 27 2016
06:55:50 PM
One of my gliders showed no interest. The other ate one, but no more.
How much protein is in freeze-dried mealworms?
Would it be a good idea to throw a bunch into the blender with my HPW mixture?
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2016
04:30:10 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Same experience here, mines won't touch dry mealworms.
Considering mealworm are meant to be just treats and not protein sources, I wouldnt bother mixing them with the HPW, especially since they are in fact mostly fat

Edited by - sjusovare on Jun 28 2016 04:30:52 AM
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2016
06:54:44 AM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
Mine only eat fresh. Sounds gross but they love sucking the guts out. Same with crickets.
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2016
07:13:34 AM
gr8rcfan Glider Visit gr8rcfan's Photo Album USA 80 Posts
Thanks for the responses, but arent bugs a primary source of protein in the wild?
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2016
10:52:39 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Maybe so, but if you are feeding a well researched and approved sugar glider nectar, extra protein might skew the brew. Mealworms are an occasional treat. My babies tastes seem to change from time to time, so if they refuse a particular treat, I give them something else and try again later.
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2016
02:22:05 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
my gliders love live mealworms. BUT we got a container of dried mealies with the last two gliders, the gliders seem to like these also a lot. We have one glider that won't eat as many as the other. Sometimes I just throw a few in the foraging cups and they are gone in morning.
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2016
03:26:55 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
All three of mine love the freeze dried. But not all gliders will from what I've read. They'll keep a while, I would try offering again as a a treat after a while.

Edited by - TJones09 on Jun 28 2016 03:27:35 PM
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2016
04:22:33 PM
It is difficult sometimes to determine the value and currency of "approved diets" and who they are approved by. I'd like to see the most recent studies, including the effects of excess protein or other ingredients, since we just cant tell who's eating how much of what when you have multiple gliders who eat while you sleep.
Food, Diet
Jun 28 2016
06:18:54 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by gr8rcfan

It is difficult sometimes to determine the value and currency of "approved diets" and who they are approved by. I'd like to see the most recent studies, including the effects of excess protein or other ingredients, since we just cant tell who's eating how much of what when you have multiple gliders who eat while you sleep.

I haven't read it all the way through, but hope to one day. Here is a recent diet study began in 2014, final results are in.

Diet Study
Food, Diet
Jun 29 2016
12:42:09 PM
Oops....I crushed a few into little bits and sprinkled them in with the HPW. As a result, they didn't finish their HPW today. Thanks for the inputs. My babies are only 5 & 7 months old. I'll save the dried mealworms and try again next year. At least they weren't expensive
Food, Diet
Jun 29 2016
05:03:03 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by gr8rcfan

Oops....I crushed a few into little bits and sprinkled them in with the HPW. As a result, they didn't finish their HPW today. Thanks for the inputs. My babies are only 5 & 7 months old. I'll save the dried mealworms and try again next year. At least they weren't expensive

I don't think you need to force them to eat dried mealworms if they don't like them, they are mostly a fatty treat. I won't wait a year, just once in a while (maybe once a week or month) offer them a mealworm. You can buy a large tub not to expensive online, or a bag of mealworms for birds at walmart for 5 dollars if they started eating them. But whatever treat they like is the one I'd use for bonding, dried papaya, yogurt drops etc.

I have read the hpw, either critterlove or wombaroo has all the nutrients they need.
Food, Diet
Aug 16 2016
02:05:45 PM
Sugarbabies48 Joey 13 Posts
My 2 gliders won't eat them alive or dried either. As long as they're getting the nutrition they need- no need to feed them excess.
Food, Diet
Mar 30 2017
07:29:08 AM
JediMissy Starting Member 1 Posts
Hello, I am new to the website but have come to the website a couple of times for info before signing up. Really glad this is here for help since most people do not know what a sugar glider is.
I have been buying dried mealworms from Petco but they are SO expensive from there so I tried one from Amazon since I have Prime and my gliders literally made a face at them when they smell them. What the heck? Does the taste and smell really very that much from where you get them from? They normally tare into them when I put them in the cage and with the new ones they stay far away from them.

Thanks,
JediMissy
Food, Diet
Mar 30 2017
08:22:22 AM
Poss Glider Visit Poss's Photo Album MO, USA 118 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by JediMissy

Hello, I am new to the website but have come to the website a couple of times for info before signing up. Really glad this is here for help since most people do not know what a sugar glider is.
I have been buying dried mealworms from Petco but they are SO expensive from there so I tried one from Amazon since I have Prime and my gliders literally made a face at them when they smell them. What the heck? Does the taste and smell really very that much from where you get them from? They normally tare into them when I put them in the cage and with the new ones they stay far away from them.

Thanks,
JediMissy

If you're going to feed mealworms, you should order them live online, separate them into a container, and feed them high quality, high protein dog food,and vegetables for the entire day before feeding them off. My substrate for mealworms is uncooked oatmeal.
Uneaten dried mealworms

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Uneaten dried mealworms