Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Smacking my hand ???
Smacking my hand ???
Behavior
Jun 30 2016
10:14:56 AM
Sorry guys but I'm new at this and I don't know what to think of it. I have a 8 month OOP that I took in a week ago, Lily. She was living in bad conditions. No glider accessories, or proper nutrition. She had 4 crown royal bags to use as a pouch. :(

She has truly calmed down after her cage got a make over. During the day I take her in her pouch fold fleece over it and keep it on my chest. She lets me pet her and love on her but at night when she is awake it's different. She seems still scared. I don't push the boundaries and I respect her wishes. She runs away when I open her cage. She lets me near her if she sees that I have a treat ( I use thongs ). When I bring my hand/finger to pet her head she smacks it and keeps hitting my finger. She lets me rub her hand though once she grasps my finger. She also nipples on my finger. Doesn't hurt but I don't want her getting use to it.

I have a video but I don't know where to add it.

Thank you
Behavior
Jun 30 2016
01:06:29 PM
athenaa Joey Visit athenaa's Photo Album 35 Posts
Seems like normal behavior to me. The 'nibbling' on your finger could be test biting or grooming, if she's grooming you that a good thing, but no it won't stop, that's just something they do. They groom lol as far as her acting different at night also normal, during the day they are half asleep making it easy to carry around, pet, etc. Once they're up and alert its a different ball game. I recommend tent time, or even free play in a glider proof room, watch TV, read a book, etc. Let her come to you, little by little she'll begin to love your presence. Good luck !
Behavior
Jun 30 2016
06:07:45 PM
NicolleR Joey Visit NicolleR's Photo Album 16 Posts
Great my glider approved tent should be here any day :)

Thank you !!
Behavior
Jun 30 2016
07:18:21 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Sounds like it's going well considering her background. You are doing the right things and athenaa is correct, this is all normal behavior. Keep up the good work with her.
Behavior
Jun 30 2016
11:15:23 PM
Thank you !!!! Im just worried about everything hehe !

Behavior
Jul 01 2016
09:56:16 AM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
My glider smacks my hand too. I don't know why but I think it's adorable.
Behavior
Jul 01 2016
11:11:25 AM
I think so too, I just thought maybe she was smacking my hand to tell me she didn't like it . I'm glad thats not the case :)
Behavior
Jul 01 2016
01:21:38 PM
Bossihamham Glider Visit Bossihamham's Photo Album Bossihamham's Journal 195 Posts
She usually smacks my hand if I'm giving her a treat she doesn't want to eat or if she's confused about what I'm having her.
Behavior
Jul 01 2016
02:21:23 PM
Lily smacks my hand when my finger are near her. As if she is trying to grab my fingers. She doesn't do it when I have a treat.
Behavior
Jul 01 2016
04:12:18 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I have never been smacked by my gliders, but one of my males, who is only partially bonded, will grab my finger when I give him a treat. So he has the treat in one hand and the other is holding my finger so I can't pull my hand out of the cage. Every time I try to pull my hand away his attention moves from his treat to my finger, and it looks like he wants to bite me. He is not sitting on me, he is hanging on the cage with his hind feet and he won't let me go.
Smacking my hand ???

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Smacking my hand ???