Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider breeding pair?
Question
Jul 22 2016
12:44:11 AM
Hi guys, I am a newer breeder looking for some advice. I currently have a mentor who is helping me, and have done extensive research on gliders. I have owned suggies for about 3 years now and I am aware of proper diets, care, enrichment, etc. I am also aware of risks associated with breeding, but it is a risk I take as I love these little exotic guys and do everything I can to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible and deeply enjoy promoting the breed.

Now here's my question
I have a B-E-A-utiful(!) super light platinum WFB boy who was oop 5-3-16 and is a possible True Platinum Mosaic. I am currently looking for a potential girlyfriend for him. But I am stuck! There's so many pairings that could be really good. So I am reaching out to more experienced breeders who have more expansive knowledge in how to get the most color out of a breeding pair. Lots and lots of color! Just looking for advice and ideas on what I should maybe consider pairing him with? :) thank you!

Edited by - LateNightGliders on Jul 22 2016 12:51:42 AM
Question
Jul 22 2016
09:46:10 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
There aren't many active breeders on this forum, I'd suggest a larger platform with more active breeders. https://www.facebook.com/groups/breeding101/ This is a really good group of no drama, educational, lots of long time breeders group.

They have discussions about hets. pairings, how to do kinships etc any breeding questions are welcome. It also opens up potential new breeders to you to find yours an appropriate mate for what ever colors, traits, temperament, your looking to produce in your breeding program
Question
Jul 29 2016
12:48:55 AM
LateNightGliders Starting Member Visit LateNightGliders's Photo Album LateNightGliders's Journal 4 Posts
Thank you so much for the suggestion :) I have seen so many groups that are so judgemental, and rude to new breeders so ive kinda been wary of asking.. But I've seen so much helpfulness and kind suggestions here I figured I'd give it a shot #128522;
Question
Jul 29 2016
07:48:12 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
yw yeh the breeding 101 isn't like that, I mean you might see some judgmental comments about a breeder with a known bad history, but even then the admin are quick to put a stop to it.

Breeders that have made mistakes in the past whether on purpose or not are judged pretty harshly by the community as a whole, it's practically unavoidable for them to be brought up without their history being brought up to. The community forgets and rarely forgives anything. Most of the time it's simply word of mouth by people who have never even had dealings with the breeder. However, in this group if that breeder wants to and are there to learn and improve their breeding program and practices they are welcome.

There are a hand full of no drama glider groups on facebook that focus on all levels of glider education whether you're a new glider owner or not.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/847319852005676/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/455100048028568/

These are two that I really like the mentor group isn't that active but it's a good resource non the less. If your new to breeding a breeding mentor might be beneficial to you to answer questions one on one if your interested I can give you a couple recommendations

I know you said you have a mentor but if they aren't versed in breeding a experienced breeder mentor might be a good option to add to your education

Edited by - Leela on Jul 29 2016 07:52:10 AM
Question
Aug 09 2016
10:41:02 PM
LateNightGliders Starting Member Visit LateNightGliders's Photo Album LateNightGliders's Journal 4 Posts
I am always looking to broaden my horizons, and learn new things with suggies! I would love to possibly reach out to other more experienced breeders as well. I feel like there is so much to learn with breeding, even after learning so much from research and lots of questions and hands on experience. Either way I take as many precautions as I can, feed a good diet (tpg), and have linaged gliders so I feel like I am off to a good start at least. They have successfully had many sets of joeys that have been as sweet as can be. I am very fortunate to have a pair of gliders that are exceptional parents, and extremely lovable. I couldn't ask for a better starter pair.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders