Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How much do you spend every year on your gliders?
Off topic chat
Aug 08 2016
03:58:19 PM
About how much money do you guys spend on your gliders every year? Does any one only spend about 200 dollars a year? I am thinking on getting them but I want to know how much they would cost. **I already know what it cost for the gliders, cage, ect. I only want to know every year after the first year.** Also how often do your get sick. (I would get them from a breeder.)

Edited by - LittlePets4 on Aug 08 2016 04:10:16 PM
Off topic chat
Aug 08 2016
04:39:24 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I don't keep track really.

There are costs for food, and that can vary depending on diet. I'm sorry I do not even keep track of how much the diet I use cost me, but some months are more than others due to buying a portion of the diet needed to buy less frequently but costs the most.

Then there are items that are furnishings for your gliders and toys, there are things that will be needed as your initial items wear, and then most likely things you'll just want to get for them whether they need it or not . You can lower this cost if you can make your own fleece items (if you sew or make no-sew items)and make your own toys (I love making toys), but supplies still can add up, plus trial and error, and you may find there are items you want or need to order anyway.

Hopefully you won't have a lot of vet bills, it's best to have funds saved up and continue to save some out of your budget to increase the funds.

But perhaps, someone will be on who has kept track of their budget.
If not, maybe the best way to try to figure it out is to total the amount you spent on getting initial diet, then see how often you need to purchase those ingredients. I personally have not done that, but if you need to figure it out, that's what you can do. Do the same with the furnishings you buy.
Off topic chat
Aug 08 2016
05:09:18 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I know this is a serious question, and not a bad one, but it made me laugh. How much do I spend in a year... I have no idea lets see....

Last year I bought 6 truck loads of stuff from a glider owner that got out of gliders for about 300$ ( (90% of this I have donated to others ) On top of that I've bought 2 wheels and earned a free wheel and donated at least 4 wheels out of the truck loads....so there is about 120 ish with shipping.

I bought a bonding bag for 35.00 since then I taught myself to safely sew so I make my own, but then your buying fleece... I've bought about 200.00 worth of fleece, mesh, cotton fabric, zippers, hardware... on top of what came in the truck loads.

Probably about 20.00 last year on food dishes or hanging feeders. Until I went with disposable plates 10$ for 120 usually last me about 2 or 3 weeks.

Treats oh lord I'm not even gonna try to guess that one

food, for my diet I'd say we spend anywhere from 50 or 60 a week, however I feed a lot of fresh fruit and veg, and have 7 gliders.

Toys, I have never bought toys from vendors, I have loads of stuff here to make toys with that came from the truck loads. I disassembled countless toys and saved all the chain and safe usable parts and threw out the unsafe stuff. Most of this I donate as well or use on one of my donations to an auction or something...

Vet last year probably around 800 or so all together including wellness exams and fecals and 2 injuries.

$50.00 split shipping of Danzig with my bestie who gifted me a joey...

I'm not going to try to break down my diet but honey alone, I spend about 15$ for quart ( I think the bigger canning jar ) it lasts me about a month so 15x12=180.00 a year on honey holy crap! course I use local raw honey, it doesn't have to be that expensive...

I'm kind of scared to add this all up now lol.

$1885.00 roughly last year, and this is not including treats, complete diet ingredients, crap I buy like feathers, pom poms, bracelets, trinkets, or in general anything cute I can get away with....

Granted, most people don't buy stuff in truck loads that was kind of random and it fell into my lap. Buttttttt it is still comparable if your buying cage sets, toys and bonding bags from vendors. I've seen bundled items sold for 200 and that outfits ONE cage. I work with a lot of rescue and rehome gliders, I donate to a lot of new owners local and not local to me... so my average maybe a lot different or the same as a normal glider owners actual costs, depends on how you look at it. If I really think about it I could find more expenses

Edited by - Leela on Aug 08 2016 05:15:30 PM
Off topic chat
Aug 08 2016
05:17:52 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I'm so glad Darrin is not on this site I would probably be banned from some stores again if he saw how much we spent last year I was banned from Joann fabrics for like 6 months and it really sucked lol
Off topic chat
Aug 08 2016
08:42:09 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Leela

Edited by - TJones09 on Aug 08 2016 08:42:31 PM
Off topic chat
Aug 08 2016
08:54:17 PM
when we go grocery shopping there is more glider food than human food. My freezer has 0 human food at all except freezy pops lol I live a very fulfilled life though wouldn't change it for the world Oh my god I didn't tally up my diet expense by year.

60 x 4 weeks x 12 months is 2880.00 added to 1885.00 $4765.00

Edited by - Leela on Aug 08 2016 09:06:00 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders